Audible "buzz" when DVD chapter changes
I hear a brief metallic buzz whenever DVD chapters change.

I've had this problem with XBMC for a while (currently using 12.1, same issue in 12) but am not really sure where to investigate. It's persisted between installations, OS versions (Vista and 8) and doesn't appear to be hardware specific (I get the same "buzz" whether I use my USB SB X-Fi Go! or on-board audio). I am using DirectSound output and have not enabled any A/V sync options.

The DVDs I usually play back are from ripped folders stored on a hard drive (using DVD Decrypter) - I did try with an original disc to see if it's a ripping error but the issue is the same whether I play back from the original disc or from the ripped folder. It seems to affect every DVD I own.

The relevant information in the log seems to be this:

Code:
02:36:50 T:1864   DEBUG: DVDNAV_CELL_CHANGE (HOLDING)
02:36:50 T:1864   DEBUG: CDVDInputStreamNavigator::ProcessBlock - Cell change: Title 1, Chapter 3
02:36:50 T:1864   DEBUG: CDVDInputStreamNavigator::ProcessBlock - At position 6% inside the feature
02:36:50 T:1864   DEBUG: DVDNAV_CELL_CHANGE
02:36:57 T:1996   ERROR: ffmpeg[7CC]: [ac3] incomplete frame
02:36:57 T:1996   ERROR: ffmpeg[7CC]: [ac3] frame sync error
02:36:57 T:1996   ERROR: CDVDPlayerAudio::DecodeFrame - Decode Error. Skipping audio packet
02:36:57 T:1996   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio::Process - Decode Error
02:36:57 T:5668   DEBUG: Thread Jobworker 5668 terminating (autodelete)
02:36:57 T:2116   DEBUG: Thread Jobworker 2116 terminating (autodelete)
02:36:57 T:7108   DEBUG: Thread Jobworker 7108 terminating (autodelete)
02:36:57 T:6596   DEBUG: Thread Jobworker 6596 terminating (autodelete)

The buzz sound played at 2:36:58 according to my notes (so I guess that corresponds to the 2:36:57 timestamps). The full log can be found here if it's of any relevance.

If anyone has any suggestions for things I could try or options I should experiment with then I would greatly appreciate it. This poster seems to have a similar issue, but their symptoms do not align with DVD chapter marks as mine do.
is this for all your DVD's? is it your own backups or are they bought?
The Problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.
Do you understand?
Thanks for your reply. Every DVD I've tried so far exhibits the problem in XBMC (the same DVD rips play back fine in Cyberlink PowerDVD, Windows Media Center and Media Player Classic). These are my own backups made by ripping the DVDs with DVD Decrypter in File mode with all of the splitting options disabled (for some DVDs I have also used DVD Shrink; these rips exhibit identical behaviour). I do not believe it is a ripping error as playing back the original physical DVDs in XBMC demonstrates the same issue. Is there any more information I could send you that might be of use?
I will have to think about this, i will get back to you tomorrow morning, right about 12:00pm

Try this until then,

1. change from directsound to WASAPI
2. update drivers for your sound card, and motherboard if possible
3. tell me what software you have installed...boring i know, but it may help me pinpoint the issue
Do you understand?
I've got the same issue on a macbook pro running Win7 if that helps troubleshooting hardware-wise. I will have to check on my Win7 64 pc and post back. I use DVDFab as well and house my dvd rips on an unraid server.
Interesting, both try possible the latest dev/night builds and see what happens.
Do you understand?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audible "buzz" when DVD chapter changes0