No video on browser interface?
New here so bear with me, tried searching and did not find anything so sorry if it is a repost too.

I am trying to setup xbmc on my laptop to test it and learn to configure it before I install it onto my server.

I switched it to the home interface to Home Row (the only one to let me go into "video files" and view my folders and thus videos), but when I go to stream a video it opens on the main computer via xbmc (the one that opened the file gets neither a picture nor sound), even if the remote computer that tries this is not on the same network.

Thanks for any ideas. Fyi I am using xbmc 12, windows 7 x64, i7, 8gb ram, integrated video HD4k.
The web interface is only for remote control. XBMC does not show videos over the web interface.
(2013-04-01, 10:08)Ned Scott Wrote: The web interface is only for remote control. XBMC does not show videos over the web interface.

That's what I was afraid of.. what's the easiest way to view them then? I know upnp but what is the easiest way as when I stick my ip and port into something like vlc player it will ask for a user and pass but then do nothing?

And would it be possible to simply get xbmc to work via browser with any adons? Thanks.
It would help if you state you exactly you are trying to do? Why do you need XBMC on your server? are you looking to playback video in another room over your home network? are you trying to do something from out of the home? or something else?

If simply trying to play videos around the home then why not leave XBMC on your laptop or other client PC and connect direct to the server shares that contain your media files via NFS or SMB shares?
(2013-04-02, 13:37)jjd-uk Wrote: It would help if you state you exactly you are trying to do? Why do you need XBMC on your server? are you looking to playback video in another room over your home network? are you trying to do something from out of the home? or something else?

If simply trying to play videos around the home then why not leave XBMC on your laptop or other client PC and connect direct to the server shares that contain your media files via NFS or SMB shares?

Sorry for not being clear enough. My server has a collection of tv shows and movies that I would like to view within and outside the house, wherever I am at. My server has 15TB (some is parity) but soon I would like to add more too, so it's not like I can just fit whatever on my laptop. Thanks.
(2013-04-02, 17:07)kyij Wrote:
(2013-04-02, 13:37)jjd-uk Wrote: It would help if you state you exactly you are trying to do? Why do you need XBMC on your server? are you looking to playback video in another room over your home network? are you trying to do something from out of the home? or something else?

Sorry for not being clear enough. My server has a collection of tv shows and movies that I would like to view within and outside the house, wherever I am at. My server has 15TB (some is parity) but soon I would like to add more too, so it's not like I can just fit whatever on my laptop. Thanks.
OK, then the solution in the last sentence of jjd-uk's reply above is applicable.
Looking at his last sentence I am not sure what jjd-uk is referring as to connect to it. It is running Windows 8 and has the biggest issues trying to share anything via windows shares. I can not even get my local computers to be able to access any shared files. That is why I was hoping xbmc would just do most of the work. I looked up NFS and it said it was native to windows so I am assuming that is what I used when trying to share initially.

Let me know if I completely make no sense or missed the statement entirely..
XBMC is an application and it just uses the underlying capabilities of your network and the operating systems of your server and client systems to share and access files. See this wiki article for tips on how to use SMB (wiki) for file sharing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No video on browser interface?0