Win Installation locks up/installation possibly not done properly
Ever since I first installed XBMC on my Windows 8 Pro HTPC, I've had nothing but constant problems since it first crashed, such as constant freezes, crashes, refusal to close down, lists of add-ons not appearing, etc., but now I'm really POed!

Basically, I installed the current 12.2 beta version to see if it would cure my problem with the crashes and instead it still crashed, but not as much, so I decided to uninstall it using Revo Uninstaller and reinstall it again, and this is where a new problem began.

After uninstalling it, I tried to install it again and it froze on the 'Installing' screen while trying to install to one of the sub-folders within the AppData folders and it looks like it involves a file called vcredist_x86.exe

I noticed that XBMC had supposedly installed so I decided to launch it and it crashed so bad that I ended up having to reboot the computer.

After doing another uninstall, I tried it with the 12.1 version and the same thing has happened again!

I really do want to use XBMC for my HTPC, but it's really frustrating that whereas most people's installation's seem to go smoothly, I have nothing but trouble with mine.
OK so let's get back to basics... forget these great uninstallers that leave trash all over.

One step at a time, open up your file manipulator.... explorer in win 7 dunno about win 8

1) Get into your CTonguerograms Files (x86) and look for XBMC, rename it or delete it.
2) Find this folder C:\Users\Your_Name\AppData\Roaming\XBMC and rename it or delete it
3) Grab a copy of a stable version of Frodo 12.1

At this point you should have a working solid stable virgin system in which to install a fresh XBMC, make sure you have permissions or admin access.

4) Install XBMC and ensure that it is running gliche free and is stable....
5) At this point grab only Frodo compatible skins from the native repo... ensure all is right.
6) At this point, if you're fortunate to have previously saved all your gfx into separate folders, a re-scrape will be fast & furious.
7) Now this is where the whole instability issues arises... adding your add-ons...

Just a reminder that add-ons are 3rd party, and out of the control of the devs for the most part.
Do them one at a time and check each,for XBMC opening & closing.... etc. I suggest for now
you only use add-ons from the official XBMC repository and monitor each one at each install
to make sure they all like your hardware and don't hold the show on exit.

With success, you can venture further afield in add-ons and programs, but throwing everything in a big scramble will bring headaches and scrambled software. I avoided adding your previous library which could have the seeds of your software collapse, and suggest you rebuild. All of this I see in under an hour of dedicated mousing, don't sweat it.
I tried your advice and the same problem with the install screen locking up.freezing happened again. I tested the software and there were still no list of add-ons available at all as well. (The version I reinstalled again was Frodo 12.1)
Sorry, then I can't help you if the software will not install... Without the software installed.. I'm a bit curious as to what you're looking at in add-ons. I suggest looking over this wiki. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Supported_hardware Sounds like a hardware incompatibility issue. You might want to re-install the O/S if the hardware proves well.
I'd be surprised if it's a hardware problem as all the parts are the latest of their kind including the CPU which is a i5-3570k, the SSD (on which Windows 8 Pro is installed on) is the 256GB version of the top of the range Samsung 840 Pro line and there's also two other hard drives which are quite recent and brand new as well.

The graphics card is a pre-owned ATI Sapphire 6570 which should only be about 2 years old tops and should definitely be compatible with XBMC.

When I first installed XBMC, it was working perfectly fine and I was able to access the add-ons without any problems, it's only after it crashed for the first time that all my future problems with it started to happen.
By following the steps I laid in in message #2 it's akin to a fresh install. Your hardware should work if all is functioning well. XBMC not installing on this kind of system would be a 'first' of it's kind. The fact that it did install first time out.... proves the hardware WAS capable.

Getting back to a fresh install is merely following the #2 message, it's failure to install becomes a hardware or O/S issue and nothing to do with XBMC.
I definitely deleted both folders as you mentioned in the first post, and as mentioned previously, practically all the parts in the HTPC were brand new and the Windows 8 Pro install was obviously a brand new one.

I suppose I could reinstall Windows 8 Pro again although I'm concerned the problem will return again, to be honest.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installation locks up/installation possibly not done properly0