Which Route To Take? Need New Computer
Lightbulb 
I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section.

The PC I have now was custom built back in 2008. Its outdated and is starting to have problems. I'm looking to upgrade to a newer style, but not sure which route to take. I will more than likely turn this old PC into an unRAID server. Seeming as it is a Antec 900 case with pretty nice components.

I'm not sure if I want to go with a Mac Mini I7, a custom built mini ITX, or build another midtower"ATX" build? Was Heavily leaning towards a Mac Mini I7 Now I'm unsure.

I like the small footprint of the Mac Mini and what the Mini ITX would give me. Yet I like having the expandability and the room a full size tower gives me.

Would primarily be used for Music, Surfing the Web, Word Documents, Email, Torrents, some XBMC (I have a seperate HTPC I use for that) and other misc. items.

I like to perform all of this rather quickly though, I don't like waiting for programs to load, or having long boot ups. I like speed!!

I was just wondering what recommendations you all might have, or what route you would take?

Once again I apologize if this is in the wrong section.
I think the issue you have is that you don't want an HTPC but you're posting in HTPC forums. Tom's Hardware might be a better spot or Anandtech.

A mobile i7 would be overkill for the things you've listed. Have you looked at an Intel i3 NUC?
(2013-05-06, 06:11)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I think the issue you have is that you don't want an HTPC but you're posting in HTPC forums. Tom's Hardware might be a better spot or Anandtech.

A mobile i7 would be overkill for the things you've listed. Have you looked at an Intel i3 NUC?

Thanks Dougie!! I will take a look into those forums and see what they would think. I'm also looking to upgrade my HTPC I have now currently though sometime very soon.

Any thoughts there? I would like to be able to do most things on it, besides gaming. Like stream 1080P/3D 1080P, Hulu, Netflix, Bitstream DOLBY TRUE-HD & DTS-HD MASTER audio, also might use it as a DVR "not quite sure on that one yet". OS doesn't really matter to me as well, although Im more familiar with windows 7 for problems/troubleshooting if something comes up.

I like small footprints and somewhat quiet. I sit about 8 feet or so from it at the very most. This is streamed to my 51" samsung plasma and my Yamaha RX-V671, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!!
For a 3D small form-factor HTPC, in my experience, an i3-3225 based HTPC is the sweet-spot right now. If you can use an SSD for the OS and regular drives for the data that's even better. 4GB is plenty for a non-gaming, non video-editing HTPC.

The case really comes down to features and aesthetics, like how many hard drives do you need or do you need none at all, just the SSD? Also, do you need an optical drive? My two most popular HTPC cases are the Realan E-i5 and Realan E-i7. The 84W AC adapter is all you need for an i3-3225 system since it is such a low-power CPU.

If you want something even smaller, the Intel i3 NUC can support 3D and it uses a i3-3217U CPU that like the i3-3225 has Intel 4000 HD graphics built-in.
(2013-05-06, 22:09)Dougie Fresh Wrote: For a 3D small form-factor HTPC, in my experience, an i3-3225 based HTPC is the sweet-spot right now. If you can use an SSD for the OS and regular drives for the data that's even better. 4GB is plenty for a non-gaming, non video-editing HTPC.

The case really comes down to features and aesthetics, like how many hard drives do you need or do you need none at all, just the SSD? Also, do you need an optical drive? My two most popular HTPC cases are the Realan E-i5 and Realan E-i7. The 84W AC adapter is all you need for an i3-3225 system since it is such a low-power CPU.

If you want something even smaller, the Intel i3 NUC can support 3D and it uses a i3-3217U CPU that like the i3-3225 has Intel 4000 HD graphics built-in.

It would just be a single drive with OS on it, so more than likely just one SSD. I hope to have my NAS up and running here shortly, once I decide one what to replace my current setup with. I'll be turning my old one into an unRAID server.

As far as the optical drive, I haven't used one in a long time. I dont really see a huge use for it, besides maybe if I ever rent, or buy a Blu Ray disc and wanted to watch in on there..... then again, I have a ps3 for that.
i3-3225 in the E-i5 case would be nice but like I said, cases are a matter of personal taste.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Route To Take? Need New Computer0