HTPC with light gaming - what processor?
I've seen a lot of advocacy for cheap CPUs in an HTPC, since you don't use the processor for much if you're not transcoding. However most of these builders have said they don't want to do any gaming. I'm planning to build an XBMC-Linux HTPC, but I'd also like to use it to play some old emulated games, like SNES, PSX, N64, and maybe PS2.

I'm currently considering and AMD apu or an Intel with HD 4000 graphics (whatever the cheapest one is, I think it's the i3 3225). Here are my concerns:

- I've heard AMD's integrated graphics are much better. I've heard some complaints about drivers for linux, but I've seen enough online by people who have it working (some use older linux versions, that's fine) that I'm not that worried about that.
- AMD doesn't support HD auido on Linux? Is this true? Is it true that Intel does? How much of a difference does this make?
- How relevant is the difference in computing power between these and lower-end CPUs, if I'm not playing current-gen games?

Thanks in advance.
(2013-05-20, 20:45)Pandaburn Wrote: I've seen a lot of advocacy for cheap CPUs in an HTPC, since you don't use the processor for much if you're not transcoding. However most of these builders have said they don't want to do any gaming. I'm planning to build an XBMC-Linux HTPC, but I'd also like to use it to play some old emulated games, like SNES, PSX, N64, and maybe PS2.

I'm currently considering and AMD apu or an Intel with HD 4000 graphics (whatever the cheapest one is, I think it's the i3 3225). Here are my concerns:

- I've heard AMD's integrated graphics are much better. I've heard some complaints about drivers for linux, but I've seen enough online by people who have it working (some use older linux versions, that's fine) that I'm not that worried about that.
- AMD doesn't support HD auido on Linux? Is this true? Is it true that Intel does? How much of a difference does this make?
- How relevant is the difference in computing power between these and lower-end CPUs, if I'm not playing current-gen games?

Thanks in advance.

AMD A8-3850 - this was playing Bioshock Infinite at fairly high settings at 1080p at a playable framerate.
XBMC Running on:
- Intel i5 & GTX 980
- Intel NUC i3 Thunderbolt Edition
- Sony Xperia Z3 & Z3 Tablet
- Pivos XIOS DS M1
- Raspberry Pi 3

If my post was helpful please click the +Reputation button.
Maybe go for the i3 NUC? It has Intel HD 4000.
@Katch Thanks for the reply. Just to make sure, are you running XBMC on Linux?

@cwide I did consider that. I thought I could get more power for the same price building myself, but it is pretty cute and if the power is unnecessary I will consider it again.
(2013-05-20, 21:04)Pandaburn Wrote: @Katch Thanks for the reply. Just to make sure, are you running XBMC on Linux?

@cwide I did consider that. I thought I could get more power for the same price building myself, but it is pretty cute and if the power is unnecessary I will consider it again.

You are definitely right. I think most modern APUs will do the trick for you (up to N64 emulators). I think the budget gaming sweet spot is a Celeron G1610 with a separate video card (Nvidia for Linux). If you can't add a separate video card then I would just stick with integrated Intel HD 3000 or 4000.
Linux HD Audio is mandatory to you? Then stay away from AMD GPU/APU.
(2013-05-21, 06:36)patul Wrote: Linux HD Audio is mandatory to you? Then stay away from AMD GPU/APU.

It's not mandatory, but I like to keep my options open. I have heard their integrated graphics are better.

On that note, has anyone played a 3d game on an HD4000 chip, like the NUC?
If you're using Linux, what emulator will you be using to play those games?
Could definitely find a lot out on your own by checking out the system recommendations for the most demanding emulator you will be using.
The two most demanding emulators I was planning to use are mupen64 and PCSX2. I don't imagine either is really very demanding. PCSX2 claims that it's more likely to bottleneck at the cpu than the gpu, and that intel performs better. Can't find any hardware recommendations for mupen64. So I guess that's a vote for the intel.
Ok, so as not to leave everyone hanging, here's the build I'm currently looking at:

Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
ASRock H77M-ITX LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3-64GM-C 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK
Rosewill RCX-Z775-LP 80mm Sleeve Low Profile CPU Cooler - OEM
Realan E-i3 mini-ITX HTPC / desktop computer case, with 84W power adapter

It's about 20% more expensive than putting the same SSD and equivalent memory in the black NUC, for a significant cpu upgrade and more output options. I'm on the fence about whether this is worth it. I guess I would have the option of adding a case fan as well, which I don't think I'd have with the NUC, which I hear runs very hot.
I'm using the A8-3870K on a Windows 7 based XBMC/Steam HTPC and loving it. The 3870K has proven to be pretty capable of 'light gaming' on midrange games, Source sames, Sonic the Hedgehog Ep 4, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit and the like run pretty nicely at 1360x768. I'm sure I'll hit a wall with it eventually even though it's mostly for casual games, but that's when I can disable the APU and use a midrange discrete card instead.
(2013-05-22, 02:28)DJ_Izumi Wrote: I'm using the A8-3870K on a Windows 7 based XBMC/Steam HTPC and loving it. The 3870K has proven to be pretty capable of 'light gaming' on midrange games, Source sames, Sonic the Hedgehog Ep 4, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit and the like run pretty nicely at 1360x768. I'm sure I'll hit a wall with it eventually even though it's mostly for casual games, but that's when I can disable the APU and use a midrange discrete card instead.

Found the same with my A8-3850 (same processor just clocked at 2.9GHz not 3GHz)

I could run things like Xcom Enemy Unknown, Bioshock Infinite, Assassins Creed and Street Fighter IV etc all at 720p or 1080p.

I hit the wall trying the latest Tomb Raider and DMC Devil May Cry - I've just dropped in a HD7770 and now I'm good to go 1080p on pretty much anything with near ultra settings (usually only have to drop AA down a notch).
XBMC Running on:
- Intel i5 & GTX 980
- Intel NUC i3 Thunderbolt Edition
- Sony Xperia Z3 & Z3 Tablet
- Pivos XIOS DS M1
- Raspberry Pi 3

If my post was helpful please click the +Reputation button.
(2013-05-22, 21:05)Katch Wrote: Found the same with my A8-3850 (same processor just clocked at 2.9GHz not 3GHz)

I could run things like Xcom Enemy Unknown, Bioshock Infinite, Assassins Creed and Street Fighter IV etc all at 720p or 1080p.

I hit the wall trying the latest Tomb Raider and DMC Devil May Cry - I've just dropped in a HD7770 and now I'm good to go 1080p on pretty much anything with near ultra settings (usually only have to drop AA down a notch).

Yeah, I got 'pretty okay' results on an A6-3500 which I originally had in it but when the FM1 socket was EOLed and I saw the A8-3870K on sale for $75 on Boxing day, I was like 'Yup, better get one'. I'm pretty impressed with the gaming performance you get relative to it's cost and I also hope that that quad core will be enough for software decoding of h.265 and vp9. Reasonably confident it'll be okay.

For upgrades, what I'll likely do is put a Radeon HD 6850 in it. I have one currently installed in my workstation, I'll upgrade it and then demote the HD 6850 to the HTPC. Only down side is that the 6850's fan is a bit loud, it runs fine but I think a bearing is grinding or something. I'd need to buy a replacement cooler first, but otherwise that should make a pretty huge upgrade to what's mostly a dedicated HTPC/Steam Machine.
(2013-05-22, 02:21)Pandaburn Wrote: Ok, so as not to leave everyone hanging, here's the build I'm currently looking at:

Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
ASRock H77M-ITX LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3-64GM-C 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK
Rosewill RCX-Z775-LP 80mm Sleeve Low Profile CPU Cooler - OEM
Realan E-i3 mini-ITX HTPC / desktop computer case, with 84W power adapter

It's about 20% more expensive than putting the same SSD and equivalent memory in the black NUC, for a significant cpu upgrade and more output options. I'm on the fence about whether this is worth it. I guess I would have the option of adding a case fan as well, which I don't think I'd have with the NUC, which I hear runs very hot.

This looks like a really nice build Smile.

The cooler you have linked I am not sure how well it will cool in the small case. We typically use the Dynatron T459 (available at Amazon.com) for the i3-3225. It's very quiet and cools very well. It too uses the standard push-pin install so no worries about a backplate. You're limited to a 28mm (1U) CPU cooler with a standard height 2.5" HDD/SDD no matter what you choose.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC with light gaming - what processor?0