Before i buy a pi
Before i buy a raspberry pi,

I want to know if its able to stream (over the network smb) bd 25 files (bdmv structure) without buffering issues with passthrough hd audio formats? (Using openelec)

Anyone can confirm?
Been reading lots ánd lots but cant find a clear answer.

Thx!
streams without buffering - yes
HD audio format - no
Only DD and DTS for now, the higher formats will be decoded as DD or DTS only
I thought openelec supported hd audio?
Well i can live with that for living room
However i really need to be sure bd25 wont be a problem.. Couldnt live with that

So you say it will play without buffering

(Openelec or raspbmc?)
it plays the mkv files over 30gb of size with average bitrate 30mb/s with DTS. tbh not sure about raw BD as I do not have one to test.
And as you can see from my signature I use XBian Wink
Ah damn
If anyone can confirm for bdmv.... (Bd25)

(2013-05-20, 21:14)rikardo1979 Wrote: it plays the mkv files over 30gb of size with average bitrate 30mb/s with DTS. tbh not sure about raw BD as I do not have one to test.
And as you can see from my signature I use XBian Wink

Is that over network? Smb?
I guess I can try and answer that in 2 hours...
Ok, I tested with a reasonable high bitrate movie (Iron Sky BD25). BD menus and extras played fine without any problems. Main movie however had a few hiccups. Mainly in higher bitrates scenes. I guess it's a bit too much without considerable buffering or other tweaks.

Please keep in mind that this was just a quick test, I don't usually have this format in storage. Also, my pi is overclocked only at 800Mhz. Maybe with higher settings it can be playable.

Tested on a 512 Pi with latest Rbej custom openelec build
bd menus? strange, xbmc cant handle bd menus as far as i know
Can you test with another bd25?
And not with a custom build, but a stable one (openelec)

Where was the movie located? was it over network? (smb or nfs?)
What was the audio ?
A normal dts track , or a dts-hd track played as dts-hd or a dts-hd track played as dts? (his can explain buffering issues)
I believe they are BD menus, I can be wrong but they feel authentic to me.

Movie was streaming trough a smb share and audio was DTS from DTS-HD (as my tv only supports normal DTS passtrough).

I can try again later with official openelec, but from my 6 month experience with openelec and pi, if it doesn't play nice with rbej's custom version, openelec won't be any good either. But I'll report back later.

Anyway, I filmed a quick video at launch time Tongue

Take a look

http://youtu.be/2Nxc2xdWi8A
Ok, I learned 2 things today:

1 - For some kind of reason, some Bluray releases are ISO's (with the bdmv and other files inside), others are just those bdmv files and other releases exist just to mess with people.

2 - ISO's won't even start on my Pi (I guess mounting 25Gb+ takes a long time). Folders with bdmv files can be played (with a few freezes if bitrate is too high) if structured correctly.
Just watched the vid.
It indeed does play bd menus.
Howly i didnt know that? Ten why doesnt it in windows xbmc?

So iso wont play but bdmv do?
You tested the othet bdmv?
Yes, I tested Life of Pi (BD25 bdmv / 50Gb full BD iso) and Jack Reacher (BD25) and if structured correctly in folders it plays. If the bitrate is higher it will freeze and have hiccups however.
ISO's didn't start on my Pi.

I also tested with oficial openelec image on my second pi (first without any type of overclock, and after overclocked at 900Mhz) and it still has buffering issues.

I'm assuming it's because of the bitrate, because I have both Pis connected to a Gigabit ethernet switch.

Either way, I don't think this is a viable option for people interested in playing this kind of huge files.
If you're getting buffering with HD-MA audio try selecting a DD5.1 audio track instead. I have no trouble with high-bitrate Blu-Rays and DD5.1 audio (1GHz OE3.03 Pi) but HD audio is certain to cause buffering.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Cant the pi pull a normal dts out of the dts-hs?
Guess only way is to go for intel nuc or ztac box then
The BD I had only had two options: DTS-HD and PCM.
I don't believe they included a DD5.1 track.

Anyway, I will check it later.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Before i buy a pi0