NAS/Server/HTPC combination with new Kabini mini ITX boards?
Question 
Hello,

because my Ouya came last week and my current Server/NAS/HTPC combination is a little bit old and needs an overhaul, I would like to build a new NAS/Server combination. If the new rig can play videos and high def audio, that is fine with me.

Because I am going with Ubuntu server and full disk encryption and I need a few low performance server applications (local apache, backuppc, snap-raid).

Besides the option to use a mITX board and a Celeron, or using a N54L microserver, I think the new Kabini mITX mainboards with integrated CPU could be a very good choice for my usecase. Very energy efficient, 4 Sata3 ports, a PCIe expansion slot for an additional SATA board maybe and an integrated AMD GPU with UVD4.2 (although this will not be useable with the open source drivers for a few years...)

My usecase is more a multi purpose build, I don't think I will need more than 5 drives (1 SSD, 3 data and 1 parity), for example.

What do you think?
Find an article with some (more or less bad) pics in German here: Computerbase.de article
They all look good to me, and oh man do I love those low-profile mini-ITX boards!
Boy am I glad I didn't build my new server yet. I will definitely be looking at these.
We'll see if they ever actually show up for sale in the retail channel. Not one Brazos 2.0 board became available in the US despite all the showings and press releases at whatever tradeshow happened around that time.
Brazos 2.0 wasn't a big upgrade, so there wasn't much motivation to release retail boards. Kabini on the other hand is much more impressive and I'm confident we'll see retail boards.
Kabini-Mini-ITX-Boards von ASRock, Asus und ECS

I am hopeful for a Gigabyte version with their larger fan. The Gigabyte GA-C847N-D motherboard's HSF is much quieter than similar from ASRock, ASUS, et. al. They all tend to use the same HSF from version-to-version.

The ASUS board is exciting given it's on-board DC power and form-factor similar to thin mini-ITX

awesome!!
Or this AsRock
I guess it really depends on your planned use case. The Asus one only has 2 SATA, and not PCIe. SO I cannot build a NAS with it. I hope the new mainboards arrive in retail in autumn...
The ASUS is intended for AIO builds, so no it won't make a good NAS board. It will however make a very nice SFF HTPC.

The ASRock is the only one in the article that has 4 x SATA.

You could get this now with 6 x SATAIII: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Asus-C60M1-I...0670709560
Squeeze those boards into an Apple TV 1 style case and they will be perfect.
That's my intention Big Grin I've already got D2550/GT610 and i3-3217U AIO-style motherboards in tiny cases. There will be even better.
(2013-06-06, 22:37)Dougie Fresh Wrote: That's my intention Big Grin I've already got D2550/GT610 and i3-3217U AIO-style motherboards in tiny cases. There will be even better.

isnt lack of bit-streaming HD audio in Openelec a major disadvantageHuh
(2013-06-20, 16:57)solamnic Wrote:
(2013-06-06, 22:37)Dougie Fresh Wrote: That's my intention Big Grin I've already got D2550/GT610 and i3-3217U AIO-style motherboards in tiny cases. There will be even better.

isnt lack of bit-streaming HD audio in Openelec a major disadvantageHuh

The same still holds true that if you want OpenELEC + HD audio bistreaming you don't get AMD. The D2550/GT610, Celeron 847 or i3-3217U systems are then a better choice. If you're going to run Windows or don't care about HD audio bitstreaming then Kabini should be a winner,
Really dont know how the c60 compares to Atom d2550 in terms of raw speed, if someone wants to run windows...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS/Server/HTPC combination with new Kabini mini ITX boards?1