Color Schemes vs Themes
Hi all!
I've been working on a skin for some time now, and throughout the entire development I've always been torn between color schemes and themes. I'll explain better. For what I've seen, pretty much everything can be "recolored" using color schemes. Trivial examples are media flags or fanart overlays: when they're single-colored it's easy to make them white and use <colordiffuse> to tone them according to the active color scheme.
This, clearly has the advantage of modifying the entire interface color with more granularity and at the same time deduplicate skin textures, avoiding loads of images that change only in tone due to different themes.
At the same time, though, gui elements like radio buttons, scrollbars, buttons etc. don't support <colordiffuse> (as of yet, at least, even though I understand it's in the workings), so for them the only way is to go through themes.

So here's the question: what's the best way to proceed? What should, from a formal point of view, go under themes, and what under color schemes?

Thank you! =)
There is no real rule, every skinner chooses the way to go.

Well for Gotham you'll have support for colordiffuse:

See here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1437421
That sounds good. Even if I work on Gotham I'm sure I won't finish early enough for it not to be ready for the latest stable released! Big Grin
I always wanted to set this color scheme according to my choice because i use to use this all the time, if the color schemes are according to my choice so I feel relaxed and my eyes never feel anything wrong with this, thanks for all this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Color Schemes vs Themes0