Fast forward and rewind in Raspberry Pi
The lack of fast forward and rewind feature has been bugging me in Raspberry Pi XBMC. When asked about it in the support forums, the usual reply is that you don't really need it as you can use skip buttons. Well, I can use the skip buttons but I also need fast forward.

I thought that fast forward should not be rocket science so I took a look at the sources and found that basically it has been totally disabled in OMXPlayer. I made some small code changes and now I have a semi-working fast forward. The big problem is that if I fast forward too fast (for example 32x for some files, 16x for some files), the fast forward stops. There is some code in OMXPlayer for catching up if the stream vs. display timing error is too large (or something like that) and that seems to be broken.

So basically I got the basics of fast forward working in the perfect scenario. Rewind is still totally broken, I guess that for rewind you need to constantly seek backwards in the stream?

Ok, so maybe fast forward is rocket science for me, as I have really no idea how media players should work. So now I am wondering if anybody out there could help. I pushed my changes to github. They are against a Frodo branch a few weeks back, as I have been working on this very slowly.

https://github.com/turtiain/xbmc/tree/Frodo

Could anybody fix the fast forward and rewind or help me with the sync problem after too fast forward and help me with the rewind basic functionality? Smile
ff x2 means decoding at double speed. What do you expect from a device which is maxed out at 1080p30? It can't go double speed at this resolution. You would have to drop non-reference frames in order to keep pace which is not possible for all codecs.
If decoder can't hold the pace player does a seek to catch up. It does the same for rewind where the clock runs backwards. So regardless of ff/rw you will hit the limits very soon on this device and player does a seek (just like skip forward/backward)

I am no expert regarding OMXPlayer, would would have to ping popcormix. If you want him to look at your code, you should rebase to master where current development is done.
I never said I expect miracles from RPi. I said that it is doing the best it can and goes to the seek mode which at the moment does not work properly. Usually it starts going forward way too fast.

I'll try to rebase my branch some day. Last time I tried it, the executable crashed always at start up Sad
Fast forward / rewind is working quite well on Gotham builds on Pi.
4x decode at 1080p is actually not a big problem, as you get to skip audio decode.

Was added here if you are interested:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/2955
finally! thanks popcornmix!!

n thanks OP for opening this thread.. otherwise i would not have seen this
Fantastic! Thanks! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fast forward and rewind in Raspberry Pi0