Recommend me a machine!
Hello all!

I've been following the forums (hardly post, I know...) and have been researching for a bit to build my own machine. After two months of reading the forums on-and-off, I've finally come to a conclusion...

I will need a mini-pc... but don't know where to find one that fits my wish-list! Can you please give me some recommendations, per the following requirements? Thank you very much in advance!

1. OS: Windows, need to use this to run emulators and other software that is native to Windows... I would prefer to have this pre-installed, but I guess I can install it myself. However, would you recommend Windows 7 or Windows 8? I hear Windows 8 loads up really fast?
2. Chip: Intel i3 and above. Would a Celeron do? If so, what Celeron? I am just worried that this is not enough for emulators.
3. Ports: Definitely need at least 2 x USB 3.0. The more the merrier. Extra USB 2.0 doesn't hurt either.
4. Harddisk: SSD harddisk. I just want a SSD so I can boot faster than a HDDisk. I guess I can can install on my own?
5. Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Drive. I prefer internal, but I can use external.
6. Form Factor: Mini-PC / Slim form-factor, since I have very limited space on my TV console.
7. Power: Low power draw.
8. Connectivity: Strong wireless capability, as there is no way I can run a CAT6 from my modem to the location of the TV. Currently the house is running a N router.

Others:
9. Able to play 1080p without a hitch.
10. HDMI port
11. IR port for usage with a remote. Or wireless, or Bluetooth, whichever is more convenient.

I thought of the following:
- Zotac Zbox but it was getting overwhelmed by the different versions. Thought about getting an Intel, but it didn't have a Optical Drive. Not to mention that by adding all the numbers up, the Zbox seems to be a more expensive setup.
- Lenovo Q190: I was really gonna go for this until I saw it is DVD/RW only. And not SSD.
- Intel NUC: This is really cool, small form factor and low power draw. However the i3 doesn't have a USB 3.0, only the i5 does and it only has one. And no optical drive.
- Asus EeeBox PC EB1505: Memory only up to 4gb? And oh, it's Celeron... And I honestly think the design doesn't exactly suit what I want.
- Acer Revo: Bloatware extreme. I am biased against Acers.
i5 NUC ticks all boxes.

Gigabyte Brix

Lenovo Q190 if you can cope with a USB IR dongle.

I'm NUC biased but mines running openELEC and is only a Celeron.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

In my humble opinion

Just look for a mini-ITX motherboard which supports socket 1155 whit UEFI specification and feeds your needs.

Look for a case which feeds your needs.
e.g. 1x 5.2 drive bay for bluray, 1x 2.5 bay for ssd, 4x usb front side
If you wanted a quiet box go for a pico psu

Cpu i3 3225
memory 2x2GB DDR3 1600 mhz
Windows 8
This barebones with the i3-3225 (reported to run emulators very well), 4GB and the internal Blu-ray will do everything on your list except the wifi for which you'll need to add a wireless card. Since the case has a low-profile expansion slot you can get a PCI-e wireless card which I've found have better connectivity than the USB ones, at least for the half dozen or so I've tried. Or, you could see how much to upgrade the standard motherboard to the Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI which has Bluetooth/WiFi built-in (uses a very good Intel mini-PCIe card).
Thanks guys!

I've spent the whole morning working out the math. Please see below list.
Standardized items include:
RAM: G-Skill 1333 / 10600 CL9 8GB (SGD 85)
Harddisk: SSD Corsair Force GS 128GB SSD SATA3 7mm (SGD 169)
Ext. BluRay: Either a LG Blu-ray Writer Slim Ext (BP40 ?? What is this??) or ASUS 6X Blu-ray Write+DVDRW Slim Ex (Both SGD 229)
Int. BluRay: LG 12X Blu-ray RD+DVDRW combo (SGD 119)
Windows 8 Home (SGD 138)
*Note: I am in Singapore so am working in Singapore Dollars. Using an exchange rate of USD1=SGD1.27. Prices does not include IR receiver cos I can't find one.

1. Gigabyte Brix XM12-3227 (i3-3227)
Needs RAM, Harddisk, Ext. BluRay, Windows 8
Total: SGD 977.86 / USD 769.97

2. Intel NUC (i5-3427)
Needs RAM, Harddisk, Ext. BluRay, Windows 8
Total: SGD 1220 / USD 960.63

3. Intel NUC (i3-3217)
Needs RAM, Harddisk, Ext. BluRay, Windows 8 (NO USB 3.0)
Total: SGD 1060 / USD 834.65

4. Lenovo Q190 (Celeron 877)
Needs Ext. BluRay ONLY.
This Lenovo has to be shipped from the US as Singapore does not carry in retail.
Total: SGD 673.49 / USD 530.30

5. EcoSmart SH-80 (i3-3217U) ?What does U mean?
Needs RAM, Harddisk, WIFI, Int. BluRay, Windows 8.
This system needs to be shipped from the US cos you won't be able to find one locally.
Total: SGD 1117.26 / USD 879.73

6. Zotac Zbox ID88-U (i3-3220T) ?What does T mean?
Needs RAM, Harddisk, Ext. BluRay, Windows 8.
This Zbox will also have to be shipped from the US, as the Singapore prices are ungodly expensive.
Total: SGD 891.99 / USD 702.35

Looks like the Lenovo is the cheapest set up, but it's running a Celeron though. Any issues with this, looking at what I need? I need to run emulations....

Any comments will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Oh there is also a newer model of the Lenovo q190, which has a Intel Celeron 1007U.

However it bumps up the pricing by an additional USD 40.

7. Lenovo Q190 (Celeron 1007U)
Needs Ext. BluRay ONLY.
This Lenovo has to be shipped from the US as Singapore does not carry in retail.
Total: SGD 724.29 / USD 570.30
The ecosmartpc i3-3217U is "U" because it's a mobile processor, same as the Intel i3 NUC.
How you finding a Q190 for $70Huh

(2013-08-05, 22:43)ThePolarSky Wrote: If you go with the NUC, wait for the Haswell refresh in a few months. The new model has a built-in IR port. Much more elegant, IMO.
I'd also start small and work your way up. Complexity and usability are inversely correlated.

The i5 NUC I mentioned is the one and the same bud. It's not out yet. Smile

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-08-06, 07:43)jammyb Wrote: How you finding a Q190 for $70Huh

$70Huh Where? Huh

(2013-08-06, 07:43)jammyb Wrote: The i5 NUC I mentioned is the one and the same bud. It's not out yet. Smile

I was really thinking about the NUC until I worked out the cost. Egad. It's really quite on the expensive side.

So should I go Celeron or i3? What are the pros and cons? I wish I knew more about computers...
(2013-08-06, 08:03)equine80 Wrote:
(2013-08-06, 07:43)jammyb Wrote: How you finding a Q190 for $70Huh

$70Huh Where? Huh

(2013-08-06, 07:43)jammyb Wrote: The i5 NUC I mentioned is the one and the same bud. It's not out yet. Smile

I was really thinking about the NUC until I worked out the cost. Egad. It's really quite on the expensive side.

So should I go Celeron or i3? What are the pros and cons? I wish I knew more about computers...

If u need only xbmc get a Celeron and install openelec ...(adding 4gb ram and a USB or msata ssd)
(2013-08-06, 09:56)solamnic Wrote: If u need only xbmc get a Celeron and install openelec ...(adding 4gb ram and a USB or msata ssd)

He doesn't. Read his original post. He wants to run windows and light gaming.

I'd go i3 NUC and mod in IR like I have done. [see my sig]

Must've been half asleep this morning but swear your USD prices for the q190 were 70.35 or something. I triple checked it before questioning too lol.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

After much research and reading through various forums, this is what I have decided on.

1. I really like the form factor of the NUC, and I appreciate that many people have been pushing it online. However, I remembered what PolarSky mentioned: Go for expandability/upgradability. I want to be able to take out stuff and upgrade in the future...

And in the case of the NUC, Zotac, Gigabyte Brix, and the Lenovo... you cannot change the chip.

Hence, here is my build (all prices in USD):
Antec Mini-ITX Case ISK110-VESA - $80.62
Intel Core i3-3225 - $135.99
AS Rock LGA1155 DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0 A GbE Mini-ITX Motherboard Z77E-ITX - $139.99
Kingston Hyper X Plug n Play 8 GB Kit (2x4GB Modules) 1600MHz DDR3 Desktop Memory 8 Dual Channel Kit - $74.74
Crucial m4 64GB 2.5-Inch (9.5mm) SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive CT064M4SSD2 - $69.95
Windows 8 System Builder OEM DVD 64-Bit - $88.90

Total Cost: USD$ 590.19

My considerations:
Windows 8 for basic running of the XBMC, emulation, and also some data running purposes.
8gb ram for the data running purposes. I tend to run it overnight or throughout the day to process numbers.
64gb SSD just in case. 32gb I fear can be too little. How does the Crucial M4 stack? Good SSD? Or a high rate of DoA?

Thanks guys!
Take in consideration the ISK 110 is very small, it can only hold 1 rack unit cpu coolers. (like the stock cooler)
There will be very little are flow in this tight space.
Your cpu cooler must do all the cooling, sinds it is the only fan in your setup.

If you are doing some data running the machine will be making noise

The ISK 300 will be a better choice more room for airflow and it can handle 2 rack units cpu coolers like the Big Shuriken 2
(2013-08-12, 11:47)equine80 Wrote: And in the case of the NUC, Zotac, Gigabyte Brix, and the Lenovo... you cannot change the chip.

The newest generation of Intel CPU is a different socket than the i3-3225 so I am not sure what you would change the chip to if you could that will give any noticeable benefit for HTPC usage unless someday you think you'll repurpose this for something else.

If upgradeability is a priority, you should wait for the release of the Haswell (LGA1150) i3 CPUs in a few weeks.
I considered that, but I also factored in that in the future I can change out out the chip, mobo, and the ram.

And the current Ivy-bridge series of chips, I don't think they are going to be outdated in the next 5 years, hopefully?

Would really love to try out the Haswell chips, but finding another mobo that is the same range as the Asrock Z77 that I have got will be a challenge. And more importantly, my sister is gonna make a 21-hr flight journey to visit me in Singapore next week and I need her to bring the parts back for me, so can't wait!

Anyways,... already pressed the "check out" button. There's no stopping it now. Will post pics of my build!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommend me a machine!0