Raspberry PI replacement with CEC support
Morning peeps.

This has probably been done a million times over, in fact I can see three similar threads on the first page alone but none seem to be as tailored as my own requirements so apologies for yet another "recommend me hardware please" thread.

Basically I have a 2x Raspberry PI systems running RASPBMC. The catalogue is on a HP ProLiant N54L with Synology DSM software installed. I have a MYSQL database sharing everything but the kitchen sink.

Sadly the main PI system in my living room is slow as hell when updating and/or cycling through the 500+ movie library. The one upstairs is no better but it's generally used to watch short TV episodes and therefore only ever have to navigate folders with about 24 episodes in.

I've been looking at Acer Revo systems but the Celeron L80 appears to be sold out everywhere and replaced by the i3. At £269 it can suck my nuts, £150 is my limit though I could stretch for the Acer Revo RL70 if it's a decent piece of kit.

I gather from reading shed loads of threads, very little supports CEC and I need the Pulse-Eight USB thingy in order to use my TV remote.

So with a £150 budget (stretched to £170 if the Acer Revo RL70 is any good and supports CEC) I'm thinking a Revo 3610 from eBay with a Pulse-Eight stuck in the back. Thoughts?
Would this be sufficient enough to change the skin and cycle through 500+ movies as quick as a desktop win7 PC?

Or could anyone recommend something as useful?
have you thought of intel nuc?

more in here
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140534
Had a look at the thread and various UK shops and they appear to be a tad ont he expensive side? Or am I just looking at the wrong ones?
£200 all in for Celeron NUC, 32gb mSATA SSD and 4gb ram. Factor in another £40 or so for simerec [if you want to and a remote and IR dongle. Or £20 for just remote/dongle.

Or the q190 is similarly priced but pre built.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Hi Jammyb

I've just spent some time reading the NUC thread rather than scanning over it and coming round to the idea of spending a few more pennies..

Your suggestion, do you have a URL for the site in Q? I can skip the SSD as have a spare one lying about.

Ta
Ebuyer.com

Take a look at my build thread in my sig. You'll wanna spend on your NUC lol.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Jammy

Just to say thanks for the suggestion. My NUC arrived yesterday. I've got an msata win8 drive lying around, booted into win without ptoblems so left it on. XBMC is flying now, so very fast even with Aeon Nux skin.

The fan is a bit noisy, but I can live with that for now.

Cheers again Smile
Well done bud. Welcome to the club!

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry PI replacement with CEC support0