Audio Issues
Hello - rookie user having issues playing some audio formats

Here's the details on my mc setup
Windows XP SP3
ATI Radeon HD 5450
XMBC 10.1

When I try to play a video in h.264 format, I get the error message "Failed to initialize audio device. Check your audio settings"

Any ideas how to work around this?

Thanks

UPDATE: Just a quick check on some of the different formats that will and not work;

- h.264, no
- hd xvid, no
- sd xvid, yes
- avc1, yes

It appear the AAC audio format is the only hd that will play and not DTS or Dobly Digital.

Any idea if this would be a hardware thing or software setting...?
Step one, upgrade to XBMC v12.2.

Try again. If it still doesn't work, please post a debug log (wiki).
Downloaded and installed 12.2 Frodo release, and it still seems to be the audio that hangs.

Anything in Dobly Digital or DTS format has no sound and video play is very slow.

This sounds more and more like a hardware issue and not software. Would it be the video card or PC? The PC is an older model, still running Win XP. The video card is combined with HDMI v1.3 sound...

Any ideas or suggestions?
Debug
http://xmbclogs.com/show.php?id=42959

Crashlog
http://xmbclogs.com/show.php?id=42960
Your log links do not work.

It sounds like to me that your setup doesn't currently support bitstreaming audio formats such as DTS. What is your graphics card connected to? TV or AVR?

Try audio settings:

Audio output: Analog
Speaker configuration: 2.0
Audio output device: Directsound - HDMI
Try typing the links into the browser address bar rather than clicking on the link. I had the same issue, and I got them to work by manually typing them in.

The graphics card is connected directly to the tv via hdmi, then optical audio out from tv back to the receiver. Tv is an older generation Panasonic plasma, and I've been told that the optical audio out may not process the signal well. I'm going to try connecting directly to receiver, then from receiver to tv all by hdmi.

I did try just connecting the graphics card to the receiver for sound only, and I couldn't hear anything still...
(2013-08-07, 12:23)Ridger Wrote: Try typing the links into the browser address bar rather than clicking on the link. I had the same issue, and I got them to work by manually typing them in.

The graphics card is connected directly to the tv via hdmi, then optical audio out from tv back to the receiver. Tv is an older generation Panasonic plasma, and I've been told that the optical audio out may not process the signal well. I'm going to try connecting directly to receiver, then from receiver to tv all by hdmi.

I did try just connecting the graphics card to the receiver for sound only, and I couldn't hear anything still...

The issue is that it's xbmc, not xmbc

http://xmbclogs.com/show.php?id=42959

vs

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=42959
Cheers Ned, didn't spot that
(2013-08-07, 12:23)Ridger Wrote: Try typing the links into the browser address bar rather than clicking on the link. I had the same issue, and I got them to work by manually typing them in.

Exactly as I thought, the way you have things connected does not support bitstreaming audio such as DTS, use the settings I posted selecting DirectSound: ATI HD Audio rear output as the Audio Output Device, but the best you'll get is 2 channel stereo audio.

Otherwise you need to connect direct to AVR, and then from AVR to TV if you want surround sound.
(2013-08-07, 13:22)jjd-uk Wrote: Exactly as I thought, the way you have things connected does not support bitstreaming audio such as DTS, use the settings I posted selecting DirectSound: ATI HD Audio rear output as the Audio Output Device, but the best you'll get is 2 channel stereo audio.

Otherwise you need to connect direct to AVR, and then from AVR to TV if you want surround sound.

After checking my receiver and TV details, the HDMI inputs on the receiver only work as pass-through for video and do not process digital audio. The only way to play digital audio through the receiver would have to be either optical in or coax.

I'm thinking the easier (cheaper) option would be to upgrade the sound card on the media centre PC with a coax or optical out.

Would this sound correct?
What pc have you got? the log indicates a SigmaTel device in the pc, is that not a digital out?
(2013-08-08, 17:32)jjd-uk Wrote: What pc have you got? the log indicates a SigmaTel device in the pc, is that not a digital out?

Yes, but it does not have optical or coax out that I can connect directly to my AVR for sound.

I'm thinking this would be the cheaper way of getting digital sound to my AVR, aside from replacing my AVR to one that will process and convert HDMI signal.

Would you agree?

I'm also wondering if there are known issues with lagging between audio and video if they come from different cards. Eg; Audio being processed through 1 card, video through another

Any comments?
Sorry but I don't understand your answer regarding the SigmaTel device, if that's a digital out then there must be a way of routing to the receiver without any additional expense apart from the correct cable.

If you're not sure if it can be done then please provide the PC model, or if built by yourself the make & model of motherboard used, that way I can attempt to look up any information.
(2013-08-08, 22:30)jjd-uk Wrote: Sorry but I don't understand your answer regarding the SigmaTel device, if that's a digital out then there must be a way of routing to the receiver without any additional expense apart from the correct cable.

If you're not sure if it can be done then please provide the PC model, or if built by yourself the make & model of motherboard used, that way I can attempt to look up any information.

It's a Dell
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHz
2.99 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM

In the Device Manager, sound video and game controllers, I have;
- ATI Funcion Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA001
- Audio Codecs
- Legacy Audio Drivers
- Media Control Devices
- SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
- Video Codecs

On the back of the PC on the sound card, I have 5 outputs of yellow/black/blue/green/red (looks like for mic)
Could you provide the exact model? Sometimes analog outs as you appear to have can serve a dual purpose of providing digital out as well, before you go to any expense I just want to see if I can find a manual to be certain.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Issues0