AMD A8-5600K vs Intel Core i3-2130
To run XBMC, probably on Windows with nice smooth HD playback, which would you prefer? I'm not planning to do any real gaming.

AMD A8-5600K (with Radeon HD 7560D) on Gigabyte GA-F2A85XM-D3H board

or

Intel Core i3-2130 (with Intel HD Graphics 2000) on Asus H61M-A board

OR

shell out $35 more to make the Intel CPU a Core i3-3225 (with Intel HD Graphics 4000)
shell out $95 more (not very desirable) to make the Intel CPU a Core i5-4430 (with Intel HD Graphics 4600)

Thoughts?
AMD. Intel has better processing power but for a HTPC GPU is more important. The AMD trinity APUs work great for HTPCs. I have the A4-5300 in my HTPC and it handles everything I throw at it fine...so the A8 should fly...and it's cheaper. No use spending more for a processor that you don't need.
wait for the new haswell i3 prolly best option at moment depending how their prices compare to the A8
If you're not doing 3D then the Celeron G1610 will do just as well for HTPC as the A8 or i3.
A6 5400k works like a charm too! Can even play some games on low-mid resolution!
A4 is barebone, but works perfectly
A6 will give you a little more bang for your buck!

Cheers!
(2013-08-13, 18:04)Mr. T Wrote: A6 5400k works like a charm too! Can even play some games on low-mid resolution!
A4 is barebone, but works perfectly
A6 will give you a little more bang for your buck!

Cheers!

I'm even managing to play N64, and Gamecube games on my A4
Really, any modern processor from the past couple of years will play 1080p video and do 99% of HTPC things. AMD, Intel and Nvidia all work great with Windows. Intel and Nvidia work great with Linux/OpenELEC. AMD is missing HD audio bitstreaming on Linux (DTS-MA/Dolby True-HD). Choose based on your budget and features you want.
So I went with this:

AMD A8-5600K (with Radeon HD 7560D) on Gigabyte GA-F2A85XM-HD3 board

I scared up an old case to put it in, and I noticed that it has no case fans. Is this something I should be concerned about? I only have one drive installed (SATA), one 4G memory dimm (with a heatsink), and nothing in the PCI slots.

What's my worst case scenario if it isn't cool enough? The gear will shut down, or I'm seriously risking damage?

If I can get away without adding any fans I'd like it for the noise factor.
It will depend on which case and your environment. The AMD CPUs run pretty hot. Which case?
I don't know. It's just an umarked standard ATX Mid Tower from 5 or 6 years ago.
It's unlikely to overheat with the stock cooler. If it becomes too loud then add a case fan to help cool it.
Add a fan to make it quieter. That hadn't really occurred to me.

In any case (pun intended) it's the PSU that's making all the noise right now. It sounds like there is an airplane taking off in my living room. I'm torn between replacing the PSU in this thing, or getting new (smaller) case altogether (which I also probably still have to buy a PSU).
shop around and read reviews and you can likely grab a decent case/psu combo for $40-$50

and try to find one that can accomodate 120mm fan(s)
(2013-08-14, 19:25)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The AMD CPUs run pretty hot.

How hot is too hot? Is there a preferred tool for checking/monitoring temperatures? I grabbed SpeedFan and I'm seeing numbers in the 30s, but there isn't much going on.
30C is very good. I worry when things get towards 70C.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD A8-5600K vs Intel Core i3-21300