Cheapest NUC I've come across COMPARED to Ouya UK
(2013-08-19, 10:25)kees667 Wrote: Thanks for the write up. However I need optical out as I don't have an HDMI receiver. Do the higher end nucs offer this?

No,
Also the 4th generations has only digital audio thru HDMI

@ned Scott
Also when you wanted the full benefit of the Microsoft ecosystem (driver support) you need at least an OEM license which cost as much as an OUYA
Why would you want to use a Microsoft OS on this system? Linux will have full drivers, unlike windows where you actually have to download drivers from the manufacturer.

10 "My ethernet won't work"

20 "Download the driver from the manufacturers website"

30 GOTO 10
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-08-19, 10:52)nickr Wrote: Why would you want to use a Microsoft OS on this system? Linux will have full drivers, unlike windows where you actually have to download drivers from the manufacturer.

10 "My ethernet won't work"

20 "Download the driver from the manufacturers website"

30 GOTO 10

I am only suggesting if you wanted the full benefit of the Microsoft ecosystem (driver support) you need a Windows license.
(Thread: First Poster compares the OUYA vs. NUC)

I have openELEC on my NUC because i use it only for XBMC.

When i wanted more function for my NUC and no hassle with my workstation. I would stick whit the same OS on the workstation.

Keep life simple and enjoyable.
(2013-08-19, 10:08)Ned Scott Wrote: I'd go with the NUC as well, but a few points made are just... silly.

Quote:SILENT vs fan
BOTH have a fan, and the NUC fan is much louder than the OUYA fan. You can get a fanless case, but that's not factored into your price/comparison.

Quote:Upgradable vs No upgrades
Quote:infinite updates to NUC so should last for 5 years
This is downright false. Even if the OUYA company goes under, the hardware is so open that people can install replacement OSes in it, including linux. There's no signs that the OUYA company itself is going to go under, by the way, and they've been putting out updates to the OUYA left and right.

Quote:unlimited Microsoft hardware ecossytem Vs very very limited Android hardware ecosystem
wat. What does Microsoft have to do with any of this? Is this a typo?

Almost anything that you would want to plug into the USB port on either device should work just fine on either device.

You also forgot to make the most important point of all, that the hardware in the NUC is a lot more powerful.

Are you trying to inform people or just slam the OUYA?

I've readjusted my initial post. I only realised after that you need Microsoft system to get the hardware ecosystem I was referring to.

Can I plug in a USB wifi into the Ouya and it will work?

My aim was to inform, think I went overboard. My main point was that the Ouya is what you get and will in the future (year) need an upgrade. (For those who will refute this argument, I will say look at the trend with the Pi and how quickly people have moved on to the next best biggest thing. And the NUC) So in the course of both systems, you would most likely spend the same amount of money if not more on the Ouya (by upgrading to newer hardware) than the NUC, while you can enjoy the NUC more in the same time.
What on earth is this "hardware ecosystem" you refer to?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_..._Ecosystem
(2013-08-18, 22:24)MediaPi Wrote: From reading all posts in XBMC.org I can only see the NUC from US perspective, this is some love to the UK
For people that live in the UK this is a price list of the cheapest NUC I can find

Intel NUC Celeron PC Barebone QS77 DDR3 USB 2.0 2xHDMI Next Unit Of Computing - £139.98
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-NUC-Cele...48588365c2

Samsung 2GB Kit (2 x 1GB) DDR3 1066Mhz PC3-8500 Laptop Memory - £4.99
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-2GB-Ki...19c9adb5aa

Kingspec 32GB mSATA SATA Mini PCle (KSD-m.SATA.5-032MJ) SSD Solid State Drive CE - £24.99
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kingspec-32GB-...2c66c0de81

MELE F10 USB 2.4G Wireless Remote Control Fly Air Mouse Keyboard Android TV Box - £18.98
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MELE-F10-USB-2...2a2fd8763e

TOTAL £188.33

Considering if you brought the Ouya and didn't like the remote and decided to get the Mele f10 remote that would cost you
£100+£18.98=£118.98

So for an extra £69.35 you get

** 2GB Ram as apposed to 1GB Ram (upgradable to 16 GB / no upgrade to Ouya) x2

** 32 GB eSata as apposed to 8 GB emmc (4 times(eSata I believe is much faster than eMMC) x4

** Five USB 2.0 ports vs 1 USB 2.0 and 1 micro USB 2.0 (x2.5)

** Dual-HDMI ports supporting HDMI 1.4a output vs Single HDMI 1.4 x2

** Eight-channel (7.1) digital audio via one HDMI 1.4a output vs HDMI (5.1) digital audio

** Gigabit (10/100/1000) Lan vs 10/100 Lan

** 1 x Mini-PCIe mSATA (future upgrades) vs no upgrades

** another 1 x Mini-PCIe ( so you got one full size and one half size)

** unlimited Microsoft hardware ecossytem Vs very very limited Android hardware ecosystem

** Openelec on x86 vs xbmc for android (infinte less frustation compared to well you know)

I'm not sure how much better performance the NUC will have but I'm guessing alot
for an extra £69.35

NUC should have its own section it looks pretty awesome man
The extra 69.35 will be well spent considering this system can last you for 5 good years with incremental upgrades

check out the amazing performace (has only 1 ram as apposed to the price of two)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR8pH-y0vd0

Or this Nuc here from Amazon for £1.70 cheaper http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-BOXDCCP847...=intel+nuc

As saying goes, every little helps.

A big thanks for the post, looks like I am after two of these & being in UK this helps a lot, thanks again.
thanks calisto, every little does help
I will add this to the original post.

I'm just learning more things about the NUC and found out they will have two new revised NUC's with the Haswell CPU in a matter of weeks. (as most of you already know) and I would hold on till then. I will be surprised if they dropped the price for the older models but who knows.
And I'm guessing the ebay market will get more of the older models at a cheaper price, for people wanting to upgrade. So hold on for a little while and if you find any more cheaper items I would happy to add to the original post.

Edit: I actually like the aamzon one alot more not because its slightly cheaper but because your dealing with Amazon and their returns policy..good catch
(2013-08-19, 10:29)Bmul Wrote:
(2013-08-19, 10:25)kees667 Wrote: Thanks for the write up. However I need optical out as I don't have an HDMI receiver. Do the higher end nucs offer this?

No,
Also the 4th generations has only digital audio thru HDMI
Will this work

AIS HDMI To HDMI + Auido (SPDIF+LR) Converter 1080P Professional manufacturer

You can use the second HDMI output connector into this to give optical out? And its not that big...
granted its expensive at £19.06 but its atleast a yes if your willing to spend some more?
Curious to know if this will work since I don't have any experience in this
What about a USB soundcard? Turtle Beach make some good ones with S/PDIF out. http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detai...icro-ii/31

Personally I would be reluctant to put anything I wasn't sure about in my HDMI chain - too much possibility of interference with EDID etc. A USB soundcard like above will work perfectly with win/lin.

EDIT: well linux has drivers built in, windows it looks like you have to add them separately, so much for the 'ecosystem'. Not sure about win8 either.
(2013-08-19, 15:12)MediaPi Wrote: My aim was to inform, think I went overboard. My main point was that the Ouya is what you get and will in the future (year) need an upgrade. (For those who will refute this argument, I will say look at the trend with the Pi and how quickly people have moved on to the next best biggest thing. And the NUC) So in the course of both systems, you would most likely spend the same amount of money if not more on the Ouya (by upgrading to newer hardware) than the NUC, while you can enjoy the NUC more in the same time.

Lots of people are still using the Pi. Lots more are still buying the Pi for the sole reason of running XBMC on it. I still have all three Raspberry Pis that I bought (4, technically, but one died in an accident). The Pi's performance with XBMC has even drastically improved since last year at this time. And this is a system that can be really slow in the UI depending on what is being done. That's a problem the OUYA doesn't have.

There would be no incentive to buy a new device "just cause". Skins are becoming more efficient to weaker hardware, XBMC is running more efficiently, not the other way around. New video codecs don't get released every year, and the only ones people should worry about are the ones that nether the Celeron NUC or OUYA can run.

Like I said, I would go with the NUC myself, because I do agree that you get more bang-for-your-buck, especially as a main system, but I don't think some of your listed reasons are accurate.
(2013-08-20, 01:06)nickr Wrote: What about a USB soundcard? Turtle Beach make some good ones with S/PDIF out. http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detai...icro-ii/31

Personally I would be reluctant to put anything I wasn't sure about in my HDMI chain - too much possibility of interference with EDID etc. A USB soundcard like above will work perfectly with win/lin.

EDIT: well linux has drivers built in, windows it looks like you have to add them separately, so much for the 'ecosystem'. Not sure about win8 either.

Its written on that page you linked to "allowing you to connect your Mac or PC"
Who do you think is the biggest market in terms of OS in the hardware buisness? Microsoft. So every manufacture first makes it for Micosoft then Mac and if you lucky Linux. If it doesn't come with a drivers then Microsoft will already have it or will download it from their database or something.
But I didn't know about this product thanyou pid

@ned I do agree with you that once you reach the minimum threshold of userability on a hardware then your good to go for a while. But still you don't have full HA on android yet so at this moment in time Ouya isn't really an option if you want XBMC "out of the box" to work. What NUC have you got Ned?
HA?

I don't have a NUC. If I had to buy an HTPC and didn't already have something, I would probably go with a NUC (probably one of the upcoming ones).

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro, 2 ATV1s, 1 ATV2, 1 Pivos XIOS, 3 Raspberry Pis, and an old AMD Athlon something. Formally have had an ATOM-based HTPC, and have gotten to use various hardware running XBMC here and there (including the OUYA).
(2013-08-20, 03:19)MediaPi Wrote:
(2013-08-20, 01:06)nickr Wrote: What about a USB soundcard? Turtle Beach make some good ones with S/PDIF out. http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detai...icro-ii/31

Its written on that page you linked to "allowing you to connect your Mac or PC"
Who do you think is the biggest market in terms of OS in the hardware buisness? Microsoft. So every manufacture first makes it for Micosoft then Mac and if you lucky Linux.
Your theory is blown out of the water by the fact that the turtle beach device works out of the box with linux (including DTS/AC3 passthrough), with windows via the manufacturer's addon drivers (although it doesn't say which versions are supported) and no passthrough on Mac/OSX.
(2013-08-20, 01:06)nickr Wrote: EDIT: well linux has drivers built in, windows it looks like you have to add them separately, so much for the 'ecosystem'. Not sure about win8 either.

Drivers from Microsoft Partner Program are automatically installed. Approved and tested by Microsoft.

MCE remotes and receivers are from Microsoft ecosystem.

Hardware from Microsoft ecosystem working on Linux is of course very nice.
Actually they supporting the ecosystem!

Also XBMC was originally written for the Xbox (Microsoft)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheapest NUC I've come across COMPARED to Ouya UK2