Usb Hard Drive Question
I'm planning to use a raspberry pi running xbmc, with a usb hard drive attached, loaded up with my media.

Would it be possible for me to see this hard drive as a network drive from another computer, enabling me to add and remove files to the drive from anywhere in the house (So I don't have to mess around with cables every time I want to add a new movie)? Essentially turning the hard drive into a NAS, while still enabling the xbmc software on the raspberry pi to read the media files.

Will this work? And if it will work, how would I go about accessing it from my laptop?
Thanks in advance
it is not related to XBMC in any way.
you have to install and configure samba on your RPI. after that you will see it as any other computer/share on your network.
gust ask google for "samba raspbian".
(2013-08-31, 19:08)stupid-boy Wrote: it is not related to XBMC in any way.
you have to install and configure samba on your RPI. after that you will see it as any other computer/share on your network.
gust ask google for "samba raspbian".

How is this not related to XBMC? I presume he wants to be able to load new files onto his external media HDD.

SMB/samba can be easily set up/turned on in both OpenELEC and Raspbmc in their respective settings add-on. No need to install or do any complicated configuration.
where/how do you switch this on set up and use it?
Simple answer - yes.
I use openelec on the pi. I have an enclosure with 2 1.5TB drives plugged into it. They're accessible from anywhere on the network on a samba (or smb, whichever) share. Writing to them isn't the quickest thing in the world, especially since I formatted them to NTFS, but it works flawlessly. Plug the drives in and they're shared as long as smb is turned on in openelec.
On my windows pc I put the pi ip address into the explorer bar to see the drives (in the media folder). You can map as network drives, I just save a shortcut to the pi on the LHS in explorer - saves looking at that annoying red cross when it's not connected.
I've shared the drives in raspbmc too but it was a while ago, I don't remember it being tricky.
(2013-09-03, 21:55)sattekop Wrote: where/how do you switch this on set up and use it?

OpenELEC and Raspbmc both have settings add-on "apps" under "programs". The options to turn it on can be found there. Further documentation can be found at http://openelec.tv and http://raspbmc.com respectively.
Hi,

I have a 2.5 inch HDD which is in an enclosure. It is powered by USB only.

I have tried plugging it into my RPi and all it does is make a beeping sound and I cannot find it in the Root file system of openelec.

I have movies on the hdd which I want to add. Any help is most appreciated.
Sounds like the HDD isn't getting enough power.
(2015-04-06, 00:18)Verderer Wrote: Sounds like the HDD isn't getting enough power.

I did wonder this. Would a power supply with higher amp (but same voltage) be the solution ?

Is anyone else using USB powered drives with the Rasp Pi successfully, and if so how, please ?

(Currently [excuse the pun] , the power supply is 5V 2000mA , being used in the United Kingdom.
Try adding

max_usb_current=1

to the config.txt file.

And I don't know if you need to up the power supply anymore ... as all I know about the rpi is what I read by using google ... :p
As default the Pi limits current to the USB ports, but with the B+ and Pi 2 B there is a config option that allows a higher current to optionally be delivered to USB devices. This does require a PSU and Micro USB cable combo that supports the combined power draw of the Pi / Pi 2 and the USB device.

I am running a Pi 2 B with the Pi Foundation PSU and it wouldn't power my 2.5" external HD with the default setting (get the clicking sound as it fails to spin up), but adding the USB power option to the config.txt I was able to power the USB drive no problem. YMMV based on your PSU.
(2015-04-06, 17:03)Verderer Wrote: Try adding

max_usb_current=1

to the config.txt file.

And I don't know if you need to up the power supply anymore ... as all I know about the rpi is what I read by using google ... :p

I think the RPi 's 23.976 Hz motion for movies is captivating as far as I have seen and I'm looking forward to seeng my HDD movies. Slightly better than the WDTV's 24p mode.

I'm a total noob and have never added any commands at all. My SD card came pre-loaded with OpenElec.

Can someone kindly explain exactly how to add the above command ?

Thanks.
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Config.txt

And as Noggin stated above, the "max_usb_current=1" will only work for RPI B+ and RPI 2 B.
Thank you. I have a RPi2.

I am away from home and trying to get ahead with this so I have an idea what to do when I get back.

I have a Windows PC. So to edit the config.txt I may be able to put the SD card into my PC and edit the file using Notepad. Or I can use Putty- I am not all that clear about putty. Do I install this on my PC and use it to modify the SD card in my RPi2 via the network ?

I assume there is no add on that allows for this change.
(2015-04-07, 18:34)24pfreak Wrote: I am away from home and trying to get ahead with this so I have an idea what to do when I get back.

I have a Windows PC. So to edit the config.txt I may be able to put the SD card into my PC and edit the file using Notepad. Or I can use Putty- I am not all that clear about putty. Do I install this on my PC and use it to modify the SD card in my RPi2 via the network ?

I assume there is no add on that allows for this change.

Windows + notepad will be fine.
Leopold's config.txt add-on will also do this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Usb Hard Drive Question0