Choosing a Cable Tuner Device (and backend)
I have been reading for a while now and every time I think I have found an answer, I find another thread to contradict so I just confused as hell and could use some advise here...

What I want to do is (hopefully) pretty simple. The biggest deal is this will be a replacement for the cable box in the main viewing area so the WAF has to be a perfect 10. I just want to be able to watch, pause and record TV using a Comcast CableCard in the Denver area. A guide is also a must. I have no issue installing an internal drive in my HTPC if recording to my Linux server is an issue. I would prefer to use a USB device. I have a very slim HTPC case and fitting cards in there can be an issue. A full height card is definitely NOT an option. If I HAVE to switch between XBMC and WMC for the best result, fine. I just need to make sure it can be a seamless (read: transparent from the remote) transition between the two. My remote is using all json commands currently. I'd prefer to keep that way but I can add RS232 via EventGhost if necessary. (I can do IR but it is an absolute last resort in my mind).

Those are the biggies. If I can access one of the tuners from another HTPC or an XB360 that would be a bonus. I don't care how much work I have to do at a software level as long as there are no buggy hacks involved. I have a Linux server on Fedora 14, 2 HTPCs on Win7x64, a couple AppleTV's (if they can't watch TV, fine), and a couple XB360's. I can put whatever, wherever to make all of this work the best.

I was looking at the Ceton InfiniTV4 USB. Is this the best option or should I choose something else? $200 is about the most I want to spend on this but I can always be convinced to spend more if I absolutely necessary to achieve my desired end result.

Thanks so much in advance for any advise!
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
I use a HD HomeRun Prime. It has three tuners and accepts a cable card. I currently use it with Verizon Fios and it works amazing. Setup is easy and it connects to your network so you can essentially hide it anywhere you have a cable and network connection. I use it through WMC and have my remote setup for one button easy switching between XBMC and WMC. You can pretty much access it from any device on your network. I got mine on sale for $119 but MSRP is $199. http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/ If 3 tuners isn't enough, they even have a 6 tuner version that takes two cable cards.
+1 for the HDHomeRun I have a dual tuner I use for OTA and love it.
I have ATV's that connect to is as well as HTPC's.
יונתן בן-חיים
(2013-09-16, 01:16)LazerBlue Wrote: I use a HD HomeRun Prime. It has three tuners and accepts a cable card. I currently use it with Verizon Fios and it works amazing. Setup is easy and it connects to your network so you can essentially hide it anywhere you have a cable and network connection. I use it through WMC and have my remote setup for one button easy switching between XBMC and WMC. You can pretty much access it from any device on your network. I got mine on sale for $119 but MSRP is $199. http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/ If 3 tuners isn't enough, they even have a 6 tuner version that takes two cable cards.

Thanks for the reply. 1st post too!

3 tuners should be plenty for what I want to accomplish. From what I have been reading, Comcast has all of their channels set to copy-free except for the premium movie channels that I don't pay for anyway. If that's the case, I should be able to use NextPVR as a backend and use the XBMC interface directly which would be ideal in my world. Like I said though, if I have to go with WMC, so be it.

I also really like the idea of a network attached device. The only box that is always on in the house is my nix server. Wait, does that mean the software for the backend needs to be on the server? Or is the plug-in self-contained on each box so that is a non-issue?
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
Yes you still need a back-end server like NextPVR or WMC on a windows system or MythTV or Tvheadend on your nix system in order for XBMC to talk to a back-end for EPG as well as schedule recordings.

You can just use the HDHomeRun and setup .strm files for each channel in XBMC but you will not have EPG or be able to schedule recordings.

for the full PVR experience you need a back-end of sorts XBMC is just front end.
יונתן בן-חיים
another +1 for HDHomeRun Prime.

You can actually use the live TV part with just the HDHomeRun Prime using UPnP/DLNA, but recording will still require a backend (for guide, too).
(2013-09-16, 00:44)TechLife Wrote: I was looking at the Ceton InfiniTV4 USB. Is this the best option or should I choose something else? $200 is about the most I want to spend on this but I can always be convinced to spend more if I absolutely necessary to achieve my desired end result.

I have the Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI with the small profile rail. My provider is verizon FIOS (cablecard), and I run a mythtv backend (mythbuntu) on my main HTPC where the ceton is installed. The cmyth pvr addon in xbmc works great (channel changing could always be better, using the mythfrontend client has better performance than the cmyth addon), and the guide looks good (especialy using the Aeon Nox skin).

The Ceton InfiniTV is less supported by other pvr software. I haven't tried this out but media portal just started supporting cablecards. You can use NextPVR by setting up the Ceton as a NetworkRecorder, but I wasn't happy with that setup. Using this under WMC is a slam dunk, and you can use your xbox as an extender. Plus there is this little gem in the works, though I have not tried it.

I love MythTV, and I cannot say how it compares to other PVR software but I have absolutely no complaints. I find it easy to manage recording schedules and the like, and it has been reliable. The Ceton has been reliable as well.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have if I can.
(2013-09-16, 17:54)rushingjs Wrote:
(2013-09-16, 00:44)TechLife Wrote: I was looking at the Ceton InfiniTV4 USB. Is this the best option or should I choose something else? $200 is about the most I want to spend on this but I can always be convinced to spend more if I absolutely necessary to achieve my desired end result.

I have the Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI with the small profile rail. My provider is verizon FIOS (cablecard), and I run a mythtv backend (mythbuntu) on my main HTPC where the ceton is installed. The cmyth pvr addon in xbmc works great (channel changing could always be better, using the mythfrontend client has better performance than the cmyth addon), and the guide looks good (especialy using the Aeon Nox skin).

The Ceton InfiniTV is less supported by other pvr software. I haven't tried this out but media portal just started supporting cablecards. You can use NextPVR by setting up the Ceton as a NetworkRecorder, but I wasn't happy with that setup. Using this under WMC is a slam dunk, and you can use your xbox as an extender. Plus there is this little gem in the works, though I have not tried it.

I love MythTV, and I cannot say how it compares to other PVR software but I have absolutely no complaints. I find it easy to manage recording schedules and the like, and it has been reliable. The Ceton has been reliable as well.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have if I can.

WIth FIOS, which channels can you tune?

Ernie
I have the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime and I love it.

However, if I were looking today I would consider the 6-tuner Ceton network tuner. With ClearQAM going the way of the dinosaur on Comcast, I am about to be down 2 tuners and I know with my family, overlapping recordings (starting a minute early, going 2 minutes late), etc. that 3 tuners is soon to not be enough. Having 5 tuners available for locals and subset of those (3) for pay cable has been perfect but once Comcast encrypts the rest (soon) no more ClearQAM.

BTW, there is a SiliconDust 6-tuner network DCT but it needs 2 cablecards. The Ceton needs one. I wish SD would come out with a single cablecard 6 tuner DCT.
Thanks to everyone for all of the info so far. It has been very helpful! Keep it coming!

(2013-09-17, 03:42)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I have the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime and I love it.

However, if I were looking today I would consider the 6-tuner Ceton network tuner. With ClearQAM going the way of the dinosaur on Comcast, I am about to be down 2 tuners and I know with my family, overlapping recordings (starting a minute early, going 2 minutes late), etc. that 3 tuners is soon to not be enough. Having 5 tuners available for locals and subset of those (3) for pay cable has been perfect but once Comcast encrypts the rest (soon) no more ClearQAM.

BTW, there is a SiliconDust 6-tuner network DCT but it needs 2 cablecards. The Ceton needs one. I wish SD would come out with a single cablecard 6 tuner DCT.

For what we do and how little we record, the 3 tuners in the prime should be enough. I ordered the HDHR Prime today. Made sure I can easily return with no restocking fees etc. If Comcast is doing away with ClearQAM soon, would it be wise to just setup WMC from the beginning? If I understand properly how this all works, the encrypted channels can only be viewed in WMC so if they are all to be encrypted soon, seems like it makes sense. Also, if they switch, is there any reason this model would become obsolete or can I use this for the next few years comfortably?
ClearQAM is different than encrypted cable marked Copy-Freely. With ClearQAM, you just need a QAM tuner -- no CableCard. Right now on Comcast that gets you the locals in SD and HD. For everything else you need a CableCard. I have a HDHR-US (2-tuner QAM tuner) and one of the HDHR3-CC DCTs.(3-tuner CableCard) so my 2-tuner one will become useless soon and only the CableCard tuner will work. With the PVR backend referred to earlier, either ClearQAM or Copy-Freely (once decrypted by a CableCard tuner) will work.
(2013-09-17, 05:02)Dougie Fresh Wrote: ClearQAM is different than encrypted cable marked Copy-Freely. With ClearQAM, you just need a QAM tuner -- no CableCard. Right now on Comcast that gets you the locals in SD and HD. For everything else you need a CableCard. I have a HDHR-US (2-tuner QAM tuner) and one of the HDHR3-CC DCTs.(3-tuner CableCard) so my 2-tuner one will become useless soon and only the CableCard tuner will work. With the PVR backend referred to earlier, either ClearQAM or Copy-Freely (once decrypted by a CableCard tuner) will work.

Got it. Thank you!
I got the notice from Comcast telling me that my QAM channels will be encrypted starting next week (this is 20 miles north of Boston). It really pissed me off. Following some research, last week I ordered an HDHomerun Prime. Newegg has them refurbished for $120 with free shipping. Actually, looks like they increased to $125. I think it'll arrive tomorrow.

As I understand it, Comcast has most of their channels and content set as Copy Freely, with some exceptions in the premium channel range. However, I've read that other providers like Time Warner lock down all of their channels with Copy Once or Copy Never, which would make the Prime worthless unless you watch all of your TV through MCE.
(2013-09-17, 02:04)aesalazar Wrote: WIth FIOS, which channels can you tune?

Ernie

I can tune in all but the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.), but that's ok, I don't subscribe to those anyway. In fact, I'm just assuming I don't get those because it seems to be common knowledge they mark those channels copy once.
(2013-09-17, 20:28)awp0 Wrote: I got the notice from Comcast telling me that my QAM channels will be encrypted starting next week (this is 20 miles north of Boston). It really pissed me off.

Hmm, I am about 50mi north of Boston on the NH seacoast. I wonder when I will get my notice.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choosing a Cable Tuner Device (and backend)0