what hardware to get?? Xbmc n00b!
Hi There,

I'm from the Netherlands and I tell you guys why/how I came here! The situation I'm in until now is:

- me and my wife watch many movies and series on our 107 cm Phillips LCD (2010) tv which isnt a smart tv. I usually download movies and series using a paid subscription (7 $ a month) and I'll 1) have to put them manually on my AC Ryan Playon HD2 using my laptop + USB cable (playon hd2 doesnt recognise laptop in network) or 2) we burn the movies to dvd disc and watch them on my PS3.

- What changed is that netflix released in my country this month! I was waiting for that but the content of the Dutch netflix is terribly old! But I discovered that I could use a simple app on my galaxy tab 2 tablet (android 4.2) to access the US netflix! I thought that was great but I wanted to watch the US netflix on my LCD tv so I looked for something like a android stick or mini pc to turn my TV into a smart tv so I could install the app to watch the US netflix! And while I was looking I stumbled upon hardware that had XMBC...can't believe I never heard of it before!! It sounds great as it promises to let me watch recent movies and US tv series very shortly after release, let me watch US sports like on CBS, FOX etc etc....all for FREE! Sounds to good to be true almost..

Okay, sorry for the long introduction, but now you guys know where I'm coming from! My question is: what hardware should I get if I want:

- to run XBMC on my non-smart LVD tv, where it streams recent movies, series, sports etc in good quality without buffering every 10 secs
- to have a neat movie/serie library with covers, synopsis, cast etc as I have now on the Playon HD but I have to create it manually using thumbgen
- to access the US netflix on my TV using the android app, so the hardware should be android-based.I know many of you will say I wont need netflix anymore if I have XBMC but I just have to see that for myself and I can always quit my netflix subscription if need be!
- To let the hardware stream movies that are on my laptop directly without me having to put them on the mediaplayer manually as its now with the Playon HD2
- To have preferably Dutch subtitels with the movies and at the very least english subtitels since english is not my first language. I believe XBMC has subtitle add-ons?

I found the Minix Neo X7 and I believe it should be able to do all these things. Am I correct and what hardware do you guys advise me!

Sorry for the long read! Just excited for XBMC and the possibilities it seems to have! Thanks for any advice!
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

I've moved your thread to Hardware Support since you are requesting hardware recommendations. Also, keep in mind that XBMC does not provide access to media content per se and that add-ons promising free access to movies and/TV shows often involve piracy, which is something we don't support here per forum rules (wiki).
Thanks! I see what you're saying and it makes sense!
Let me simplify my question(s). I'm looking for an android device next to my tv, which:

- makes my tv a smart tv on which I can view the US netflix. This is not piracy since I just bought a subscription for it.
- It needs to run XMBC and run movies smoothly and also 1080p movies.
- I need it to be connected to my wifi network and be able to play movies and series I have on my laptop directly without me having to connect a cable to it and transfer manually like I do now with my Playon Hd2.

Preferably the device runs XBMC, which makes a nice looking library from all my media (on laptop and external HDD) and out of which I can startup Netflix when needed.

I've read about XBMC only just running on android and not every device runs movies smoothly! I came across the raspberry Pi, Mixin neo X5 and X7, read about HTPC's and with all the different opinions around is kind of hard to make a choice! So my hope was that some of you guys can look at my wishes and advise me on what might be a good device for me! Hope this is more clear! =)) Thanks for any advice!
Welcome.

I have a RaspberryPi, it doesnt support netflix, 1080p fluid, XBMC fluid [with some safe overclock].
I have also an Apple TV 1st Gen with crystalbuntu 2.0 [ubuntu modified by Sam Nazarko for Apple TV + XBMC], no netflix, the best XBMC device I ever had.
I have a Brazilian Netflix subscription, I watch it on my PS3.
On future I will buy a HTPC for me, maybe a Brix [Why brix over NUC, usb 3.0, beautiful, more slim, newer processors]. If you're like me and care about how much noise a system will produce, check it first.

HTPC would be my choice, maybe an Intel NUC or Gigabyte Brix with 4GB ram, a 60GB SSD, Windows 7/8, a nice keyboard + mouse combo. You can use a proxy/vpn to access USA Netflix, google it, it is easier than an android app wich can lose his function with time or be blocked by netflix/google rules/ etc.

On an HTPC you can access a folder from any pc, I am assuming you're going to use windows shares.

Check youtube videos and forum threads for NUC + XBMC. With NUC as a HTPC you will have all the 3 main stuff you want, remote control [if you want], keyboard + mouse combo [if you want], wifi [if you install], SERIOUS BOOT SPEED [less than 10 seconds], 1080p, all the programs that windows can offer, and MUCH better smart tv than 99% of smart tvs of the market.

Of course, all of this is in my opinion. But you can search and see for yourself if it suits better for you. =D

Let me know if I helped you. =D
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
I've had my Gbox midnight mx2 now for about a week. $97, no fan, wireless and wired capability. hdmi and composite video out, 4 usb ports, ir remote. I was streaming video through xbmc within ten minutes after taking it out of the box. I have not yet used netflix, but the canadian site selling them claims theirs works reliably. Matricom's forums have been helpful and there are a number of youtube videos. My gbox froze on a startup screen the second time I powered it, so I had to learn how to reflash the firmware. It took a few days of playing with it to feel comfortable. The remote is a little hard to use (multiple key presses necessary, etc), and for some purposes one really needs a keyboard. When I started thinking about a streaming device a month ago I was leaning toward the raspberry pi, but I am still happy with my decision to go with the mx2.
(2013-09-18, 17:33)the_optimist Wrote: I've had my Gbox midnight mx2 now for about a week. $97, no fan, wireless and wired capability. hdmi and composite video out, 4 usb ports, ir remote. I was streaming video through xbmc within ten minutes after taking it out of the box. I have not yet used netflix, but the canadian site selling them claims theirs works reliably. Matricom's forums have been helpful and there are a number of youtube videos. My gbox froze on a startup screen the second time I powered it, so I had to learn how to reflash the firmware. It took a few days of playing with it to feel comfortable. The remote is a little hard to use (multiple key presses necessary, etc), and for some purposes one really needs a keyboard. When I started thinking about a streaming device a month ago I was leaning toward the raspberry pi, but I am still happy with my decision to go with the mx2.

RasPi isnt a multiple task device, Slow to show some artworks and menu transitions. But works and it is cheap. =D
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
I have had my mygica atv1200 and mele f10 air mouse for around four months and am happy with it, the four core models were not available then ;(

Xbmc only runs at 720p but I only have a 32" monitor so am not bothered about that.

I bought the box to do most of what you require apart from netflix and it was easy to set up. I mainly use it for xbmc and youtube which it excels at.

If I had to buy one now I would go for the MiniX NEO X7 and a mele f10.
(2013-09-18, 16:31)lukasnmd Wrote: Welcome.

I have a RaspberryPi, it doesnt support netflix, 1080p fluid, XBMC fluid [with some safe overclock].
I have also an Apple TV 1st Gen with crystalbuntu 2.0 [ubuntu modified by Sam Nazarko for Apple TV + XBMC], no netflix, the best XBMC device I ever had.
I have a Brazilian Netflix subscription, I watch it on my PS3.
On future I will buy a HTPC for me, maybe a Brix [Why brix over NUC, usb 3.0, beautiful, more slim, newer processors]. If you're like me and care about how much noise a system will produce, check it first.

HTPC would be my choice, maybe an Intel NUC or Gigabyte Brix with 4GB ram, a 60GB SSD, Windows 7/8, a nice keyboard + mouse combo. You can use a proxy/vpn to access USA Netflix, google it, it is easier than an android app wich can lose his function with time or be blocked by netflix/google rules/ etc.

On an HTPC you can access a folder from any pc, I am assuming you're going to use windows shares.

Check youtube videos and forum threads for NUC + XBMC. With NUC as a HTPC you will have all the 3 main stuff you want, remote control [if you want], keyboard + mouse combo [if you want], wifi [if you install], SERIOUS BOOT SPEED [less than 10 seconds], 1080p, all the programs that windows can offer, and MUCH better smart tv than 99% of smart tvs of the market.

Of course, all of this is in my opinion. But you can search and see for yourself if it suits better for you. =D

Let me know if I helped you. =D

Thanks very much for your replies guys!! Really appreciate it!

@lukasnmd
So what your saying is that a Raspberry Pi works pretty well for XBMC and video playback in high quality but it doesnt support netflix? How is that? RasPi is an android device right? So I'd be able to just install the netflix app and the app that gives me US netflix and it should work I would think!?

I do agree that a HTPC will have tye best specs but there are 2 problems. 1) Money...I'd rather not spend much more then 150 euro which is like 180$ or something! Just bought a house which drains money and need to get me a PS4 soon! =)) And 2) prolly tye most important reason! I'm not that tech/PC savvy! When you started about the Brix, NUC etc HTPC you totally lost me! I'll try to read up on the links you gave me but I would like something as fool prove as can be! =))
(2013-09-19, 01:50)BigX84 Wrote: @lukasnmd
So what your saying is that a Raspberry Pi works pretty well for XBMC and video playback in high quality but it doesnt support netflix? How is that? RasPi is an android device right? So I'd be able to just install the netflix app and the app that gives me US netflix and it should work I would think!?

Whilst there are some very experimental Android builds for the Raspberry Pi, it's primarily running Linux (Debian, Arch etc.) rather than Android. Raspbmc, XBian, OpenElec are all Linux-based XBMC distros that will let you run XBMC on the Pi (but not Netflix - as they aren't running Android and thus don't run Android apps)

The video quality on the Pi is excellent (and it handles 5.1 Dolby and DTS pretty well - which isn't always the case with Android). It also frame rate switches nicely (so European 50Hz and US 60Hz stuff plays at the right framerates, avoiding judder) The User Interface is a little bit more sluggish than is ideal though IMO.
Update: I looked at the links for the NUC HTPC and its total gibberish to me and it seems out of my price range anyway!

The three best option I see are:

- Raspberry Pi

- Android MX7 TV boxhttp://kimdecent.en.alibaba.com/product/772308405-212805634/MX7_Android_4_2_TV_set_top_box_Thin_Client_Dual_core.html

- Mixin Neo X7

But after more reading it seems that Android devices will just not work great with xbmc and 1080p movies so maybe its just impossible to find an android device / mediaplayer which runs XBMC well and I can get the US netflix on! Pretty disappointing...
Hi BigX84 don't despair just yet XBMC is the next best thing since slice bread and it does have lovers all over the world...you may want to look at this solution that i read about while reading from this blog:
http://mymediaexperience.com/xbmc-guide/ it shows how to use playon a great solution to stream to a rpi ( my second love after xbmc...we're talking only technology here..) netfilx among others...
http://www.playon.tv/playon
one thing to know: it will require you to have playon installed on a WINDOWS pc in you network , details are in the guide above, some reading is required but it is quite pleasant and well thought.

Just thought you may want to know about it.
Cheers
(2013-09-19, 02:34)noggin Wrote: The video quality on the Pi is excellent

I wouldn't describe it as excellent. There's a noticeable difference when I run 720p and 1080p files on my Pi and my other media player.

It's adequate. But not excellent.
(2013-09-19, 02:34)noggin Wrote: it handles 5.1 Dolby and DTS pretty well - which isn't always the case with Android). It also frame rate switches nicely (so European 50Hz and US 60Hz stuff plays at the right framerates, avoiding judder) The User Interface is a little bit more sluggish than is ideal though IMO.
Agree. XBian safe overclock [XBIAN OC] bypass the sluggish interface. =D

(2013-09-19, 03:04)BigX84 Wrote: Update: I looked at the links for the NUC HTPC and its total gibberish to me and it seems out of my price range anyway!

The three best option I see are:

- Raspberry Pi

- Android MX7 TV box http://kimdecent.en.alibaba.com/product/..._core.html

- Mixin Neo X7

But after more reading it seems that Android devices will just not work great with xbmc and 1080p movies so maybe its just impossible to find an android device / mediaplayer which runs XBMC well and I can get the US netflix on! Pretty disappointing...

BigX84, dont worry, you will find something nice for your needs. =D
If you dont use all the 5.1 sound channels I would recomend the android device.

(2013-09-19, 06:16)jungario Wrote: Hi BigX84 don't despair just yet XBMC is the next best thing since slice bread and it does have lovers all over the world...you may want to look at this solution that i read about while reading from this blog:
http://mymediaexperience.com/xbmc-guide/ it shows how to use playon a great solution to stream to a rpi ( my second love after xbmc...we're talking only technology here..) netfilx among others...
http://www.playon.tv/playon
one thing to know: it will require you to have playon installed on a WINDOWS pc in you network , details are in the guide above, some reading is required but it is quite pleasant and well thought.

Just thought you may want to know about it.
Cheers

Interesting. Very interesting. I tried PlayOn once, didnt work out for me. Wich are your settings on playon? My parents would love to have netflix and xbmc without the need to buy another device, an android device would be their choice.
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
Hi Lukas,
Here is the part that is pertaining to PlayOn in the mentionned guide:

Credit goes to Tuukka Komssi for this time and effort for setting up his great guide.

"Add Netflix, Hulu and Other Premium Channels

While there are free plugins to get Netflix (XBMC Flicks plugin), Hulu (link to a 3rd party repository) and other online services working with XBMC, most of them are quite buggy and limited in terms of functionality. For example, the Netflix plugin only launches Netflix website on a separate Internet browser window.
The easiest way to add almost 60 channels of premium content to XBMC is with the PlayOn is media server software for Windows. With PlayOn media server running, you can stream online shows and movies via an UPnP share to other XBMC powered computers (e.g. Raspberry Pi) on your home network. PlayOn costs $39.99 (one-time fee).
Download and install the PlayOn media server (30-Day Money Back Guarantee).
Configure the PlayOn settings if needed and input your Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, Amazon VOD and other account details in the Channels tab.
In XBMC, go to Videos menu and Add new Video source.
In the Video source settings, browse for the media locations.
Select UPnP Devices from the media source list.
Select PlayOn (your computer name).
Select OK.
Now, go to “Videos > Files > PlayOn (your computer name)” and start browsing through the list of media services and streaming movies.
Once you have the PlayOn media server running on a Windows PC you can watch Netflix, Hulu, etc. on Raspberry Pi and Linux PCs.
Tip! You can access Netflix & Hulu from any country with a great DNS
redirection tool called UnblockUS. Try UnblockUS for free here."

He has another article with an easy and advanced way to do it:
http://mymediaexperience.com/integrate-n...into-xbmc/

Here you have it! if you follow these instructions it will work, it did for me.
Cheers
@Jungario: Thanks for your input, its appreciated! I took a look into this solution but eventually figured its a bit too much for me! Especially the PlayOn solution sounds pretty cool but especially when your from the States! I still need my own Dutch television and I wont really watch the US tv senders anyway except maybe for Live NBA! =))

@Lukas: I think I found something that suits my needs! =)) First of all i decided to drop netflix! I emailed some retailers of the Android devices (MX7 Android box, Minix X5/X7) and they all advised to stream with XBMC but to use another player (eg MX player) for downloaded movies and series in 1080p! So It really seems as if an integrated XBMC/netflix combo on an android device is so far out of the question.

What I'm planning to do now is run XBMC on a Raspbmc/OpenElenec/Xbian Raspberry Pi to get a well functioning XBMC which works also with 1080p and 5.1/DTS. For the downloading of my own movies and TV series I want to use a Couchpotato/Sickbeard/Sabnzbd combo (all on a Windows 7 laptop) + HDD/NAS to fully automize the whole download process. These movies/Tv series I also want to watch in XBMC something the android devices also couldnt fully do! I've already installed Couchpotato, Sickbeard and Sabnzbd on my laptop and played around a bit and it seems to work great! Now all I need is a good device to run XBMC on and the Raspberry Pi is mentioned here multiple times!

- What is the best OS for the Raspberry Pi to get the best XBMC experience (Openelenec, Xbian, Raspbmc??) and does it matter if the laptop runs Windows 7??
- Is there another device (no HTPC) which works better then RasPi and maybe handles skins better??

Thanks guys!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
what hardware to get?? Xbmc n00b!0