What OS Do You Use??
First Let Me Say this is not about which you THINK is best as there is no correct answer everyone has preferences this is more about what you find yourself using for your purposes

I have Four HTPC's All of these are connected via CAT6 cable to my Server Running Windows Home Server 2012

I will start I use a Combination of Openelec Machines for HTPC's that are more generally used by more family members as it is just quick easy and dedicated to playing media these are in Lounge Area or Less techy family member bedrooms

However i have some machines running on Windows 8 they are for ones i mostly use as i like to be able to double the HTPC as a computer and browse the internet and eventually upgrade one for use with steam

Just curious who uses what

I Was Going to add a Poll but do not know how to
Win 8 in my HTPC, Win 8 in my laptop, and Win 7 in my everyday desktop.
Main HTPC/Server - Custom built minimal ubuntu 13.04 install/XBMC Gotham Alpha7
Master Bedroom HTPC - Linux on Pivos XIOS/XBMC Frodo 12.2
Kids Bedroom 1 - Linux on Pivos XIOS/XBMC Frodo 12.2
Kids Bedroom 2 - Android on OUYA/XBMC Frodo 12.2
Kids Bedroom 3 - CrystalBuntu 2.0 on ATV1/XBMC Gotham Alpha7
Nexus Tablet - Android/XBMC Gotham Alpha7 (also have Ubuntu Touch beta installed)
Laptop - Ubuntu 13.10/XBMC Gotham Alpha7
iPhone 4s - ios5/XBMC Gotham Alpha7

Big Grin
Main HTPC - minimal ubuntu 12.04/XBMC Eden
Bedroom - ATV1 Openelec/XBMC Eden
Home Theater - ATV1 Openelec/XBMC Eden
3 iPads - ios 5 or 6/XBMC Eden
Pi - rasbmc/XBMC Eden

unRaid backend NAS which is a form of linux

I really need to take the plunge and update to Frodo but I have had db issues in the past and am hesitant...
יונתן בן-חיים
I use mythtv for tv recording and playback and xbmc for ripped material so I use mythbuntu 12.04 for all media pcs with xbmc loaded too and started via a mythfontend modified menu. With recent xbmc code xbmc pvr is becoming more viable, once it is 100% reliable I might switch to openelec. I dual boot openelec on one machine to check it out from time to time.

The backend also stores all media as well as running the mythbackend software.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I use whatever I feel is most appropriate!

Server and tvheadend backend is Xubuntu 12.04 LTS with a ZFS array, backed up to a 2-bay Synology box.

Clients are OpenElec 3.2 on the dedicated HTPCs, Android/Gotham alpha 7 on anything portable, and Frodo on a clutch of Windows (XP to 8) laptops for "proper" computing.

Horses for courses. I think the only thing I don't have is an i-something, and that's a conversation for a drunken rant over a beer sometime about all that's wrong with the world.
Thanks for the replies everyone i have noticed those who mentioned running Servers seem to all so far have Linux-Based ones as someone who has looked at linux distro's in the past for possible server OS this is interested currently i have Windows Home Server 2012 on mine (the 180 Day R2 Trial)

i have stuck with windows as i had an issue on linux with my Backup tool (Freefilesync) from being unable to access mounts to backup stuff from windows machines so i switched back to windows for now but i really want to properly test out a linux option i also could not get my drives to spindown

I really like the look and feel of a Distro called Linux Lite it has a GUI which i need as a Linux Noob and is pretty lightweight (XFCE i think)

if i could just figure out how to spindown my drives (probably have to use hdparm) and if i could get me backups working i would fully switch to linux for my server
My MacBook Pro - OS-X 10.9 Mavericks
DD11's MacBook - OS-X 10.8 Mountain Lion
Living Room - Apple TV2
Kitchen - OS-X 10.6 Leopard
iPad - iOS 6
Back Deck - OS-X 10.6 Leopard
Home Office - OS-X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Oh yes, there is a Windows 8 laptop that has it loaded too...
My htpc dual boots openelec + win7, with windows just being used for gaming, OE for everything else, I used to use a minimal Ubuntu but I find OE easier/better. Also run xbmc on android, win7+8 and Linux (mythbuntu on my server and kubuntu desktops) but they don't get used nearly as much as my htpc.
Bedroom HTPC (most used) - Crystalbuntu on ATV1 (Ubuntu/Linux)
Living room - Pivos XIOS Linux FW and ATV2 (iOS), though the ATV2 is mostly just used for Netflix, AirPlay mirroring, and the occasional XBMC iOS testing.
Family room - Crystalbuntu on ATV1 (Ubuntu/Linux)

I have a few Raspberry Pis, one of which will eventually be used in the guest bedroom running OpenELEC. Right now they're acting as remote controls for RC cars :D

iPhone 4 (iOS), mostly used to access the Hulu add-on. Also used as an XBMC remote. Have HDMI adapter for it as well, but I think I broke a pin on it. Not dedicated as an HTPC.

iPad 4 (iOS), probably my second/third most used "HTPC". Used a lot directly on the device, and I have the HDMI adapter for it. Just my luck that I would have to buy a second one for the lighting connector, but it's actually really cool to have a portable XBMC like that, so it was still worth it. Not dedicated as an HTPC.

MacBook Pro (15 inch, 2009) - Mac OS X - Second most used HTPC, but not dedicated as an HTPC.

I used to have a little miniITX HTPC system that ran XP, but it died years ago (RIP).

...and I never got rid of my modded xbox with XBMC. It lives in the closet ;)
Ah, I forgot about my Xbox, its in my cupboard too, I can't bring my self to get rid of it. Still using one of the controllers with my current htpc though.
I only use Windows 8. I'll start using something Linux based someday I guess but for now, Windows 8 is the only thing I use incase I want to use the PC for something else.

@ned Scott
It's AMAZING how great using XBMC is on a tablet. If I could get remote access to work perfectly (I never tried just always worried), it'd be way too boss lol.
Just OpenElec for now. It does what I need and am surprised how well it runs given my HTPC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What OS Do You Use??0