OS X 3D fails via new iMac to ATV3
Photo 
A while ago I used to play movies on my Apple TV3 via iTunes on the "old" 24" iMac.
3D movies must be converted to m4v so I could drop it into iTunes and stream it to my Apple TV 3.

Now I recently bought a new iMac 27" (2013).
This iMac has the option to use Airplay.

My goal is to watch 3D movies via XBMC so I don't have to convert movies to M4V anymore and stream big ISO's/MKV movies.

When I mirror the screen to the tv and play a movie with XBMC, the movie isn't really full screen (1920x1080).
3D plays like this when I put the tv manual on 3d:

When I play a movie via iTunes -> airplay it plays 3D correctly (also manual on 3D)

As you can see there is a big difference between the two images.

Does anyone know this problem?
Did you setup xbmc so that it renders side by side correctly? (seems it renders top bottm instead). Have a look into the 3d settings in System->Video->Playback (use a current nightly build for having the 3d options).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hmm I cannot find the 3d settings at System->Video->Playback.

But this is what I get when I play a movie via Airplay.

When I turn the tv manual on 3d it's doesn't look good. (reference to the Opening Post)
If you are at gotham ensure to go in the left slide menu in settings end increase the settings level for seeing all options. If you are on frodo or outdated gotham - these options are not there.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Thank you for that information.

I was indeed on frodo and installed the newest nightly build.
I tried the settings and indeed it detected if the movie was OU or SBS.

What I think it has to do with the Mac it self.
It's the newest mac with a resolution of 2560 x 1440
The TV is of course 1920 x 1080

When I use Airplay. The mirroring is not completely fullscreen on the tv as you can see on the first picture.
I called Apple (AppleCare) And they were telling me there is no solution for that).

Via iTunes there is a button to stream the video to Apple TV. (not mirroring, so you won't see the video on the mac) Same as you airplay a movie via the iPhone or iPad.

Maybe XBMC can have in the future a button like that.
(the button next to the fullscreen on the right)
It's fixed!

The solution was indeed that the movie wasn't playing entirely fullscreen.
Something like 1900 x 1000.

In Mountain Lion there is an option at Display. It's called Overscan Correction
(I stole this image from MacWorld)

Deselect this option and Airplay is fullscreen at 1920 x 1080.
When I play a movie in 3D. Doesn't matter if it's OU or SBS. I can manually press the TV on 3D and it runs perfectly!
k - thx for the solution ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3D fails via new iMac to ATV30