controlling power of tv from xbmc
I would love to have xbmc put my television to sleep when idle.

The problem that my television, a Vizio sv421xvt, does not go into sleep mode when no signal is present. Instead it goes to a solid blue background with a wandering "No Signal" message on the screen..... forever. It just doesn't know to turn itself off with no input. Faulty by design I guess.

So I'm wondering if others have come up with a work around?

If xbmc could be mod'ed to send out a event , or call a script, when it wants to blank the screen I could then use that event to send out a IR remote command with LIRC or some such turning the tv off/on automatically when xbmc wakes up.
Does the TV support HDMI-CEC? Or you could use irsend in conjunction with resume/suspend hooks to power the TV up/down.
(2013-10-17, 14:13)teeedubb Wrote: Does the TV support HDMI-CEC? Or you could use irsend in conjunction with resume/suspend hooks to power the TV up/down.

Nope. No HDMI-CEC, it's a stubbornly ignorant television.

Really the only option I see is the IR solution you're talking about... But I've struggled to find out any more information about the hooks you mention.

I think my search function ability has let me down. Got any pointers?
The suspend/resume hooks are the easy part (for me at least), what os are you running? Have you managed to get the PC to send ir signals? I'm pretty sure the program irsend comes with lirc.
(2013-10-17, 16:00)teeedubb Wrote: The suspend/resume hooks are the easy part (for me at least), what os are you running? Have you managed to get the PC to send ir signals? I'm pretty sure the program irsend comes with lirc.

It's on win 7 at the moment, but I'm just a comfortable switching it back to linux. Sending the IR isn't the issue. I can work that out.

I just have no clue as how to trap the power down/on events in xbmc so I can turn control over to a script or shell command.

So, again, I'm back at the same question. What are the hooks you are talking about and where can I find more information on them?
These are for hooks at the system level:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pm-..._own_hooks
Ah, ok, you ment hooking the system shutdown or standby events. I wanted to avoid touching the system state, and wanted to hook the display blanking events in xbmc itself, and have that call a script or shell command. Using that I could pass the command to irsend, without having to shutdown the media center pc.

I'm about to the point where I'm going to build an hdmi passthrough for an ardruino and have it check for signal and send out the ir commands.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
controlling power of tv from xbmc0