MPEG2 (DVD Image) playback without obtaining a license?
Hi,

I absolutely do not see the point why one should pay for something one has probably already paid a thousand times, in any device that supports MPEG2 playback. So the question is: is it possible to decode non-HD content (like DVD Images) in softwre, without having to pay for another MPEG2 codec? How can this be done? When I playback a DD image, I only get audio, but no video.
Not possible.
You could convert your dvd images to h.264 which is licensed, if you want to avoid paying £2.40.
(2013-10-17, 18:18)Jackie78 Wrote: I absolutely do not see the point why one should pay for something one has probably already paid a thousand times, in any device that supports MPEG2 playback. So the question is: is it possible to decode non-HD content (like DVD Images) in softwre, without having to pay for another MPEG2 codec? How can this be done? When I playback a DD image, I only get audio, but no video.

Are you really quibbling about a £2.40 licence? Transcode your MPEG2 SD material to H264 if the licence cost is that objectionable to you.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-10-17, 18:39)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2013-10-17, 18:18)Jackie78 Wrote: I absolutely do not see the point why one should pay for something one has probably already paid a thousand times, in any device that supports MPEG2 playback. So the question is: is it possible to decode non-HD content (like DVD Images) in softwre, without having to pay for another MPEG2 codec? How can this be done? When I playback a DD image, I only get audio, but no video.

Are you really quibbling about a £2.40 licence? Transcode your MPEG2 SD material to H264 if the licence cost is that objectionable to you.

The money is no problem of course, it's more a matter of principle: getting money for software patents that have already been paid, and which only exist to satisfy the greedieness of big companies simply bother me, and I do not want to support such business models. Therefore an option to avoid that, i.e. by simply decoding MPEG2 in software, would be highly appreciated...
(2013-10-17, 21:02)Jackie78 Wrote: Therefore an option to avoid that, i.e. by simply decoding MPEG2 in software, would be highly appreciated...

So you expect others to spend their time attempting to do this (more than £2.40's worth) just so you can take a "principaled" stand on the matter of licensing this codec? There are lots of license fees people pay everyday that they're not aware of simply because that cost is built into the purchase price of an item. The Raspberry Pi Foundation could have included the codec in their product and simply jacked up the sales price to account for this and we wouldn't be having this conversation. However, they wanted to keep the price low and the Pi is used for many applications that do not involve decoding MPEG2 video, so they opted to let those who need this purchase the codec license separately.
Of course I don't expect anybody to do anything, this was just a simple question if an alterative way of decoding MPEG2 is currently possible or planned.
The answers in this whole thread cost more then 2.40, so closing as its been answered.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MPEG2 (DVD Image) playback without obtaining a license?0