HTPC: Should I change from Windows 7 64bit to a Linux O/S?
Should I change from Windows 7 64bit to a Linux based Operating System for my HTPC?
Why change? I’m annoyed with constant updates from Microsoft making things that have worked, stop working (and slowing things down, especially in playback of recorded TV).
AND…
…I want to use this Windows reg key on a new computer, so need a (free) OS on the HTPC.

Two issues:
1.) Suitability of my current hardware
2.) What Linux version and what software to use.

Current System:
Mobo GA-73PVM-S2H
CPU Core2Duo E6750 (2.66GHz) with stock fan (bit noisy)
Memory 2 GB
Case Antec Fusion V2 Black (with Imon LED display) (2 extra fans, also quite noisy)
Storage 1 OCZ Agility 3 ATA 120GB
Storage 2 1 TB HDD aATA
Video AMD Radeon HD6450 1GB DDR3 (Passively cooled)
Optical Pioneer BDG-202 (Blu Ray)
TV Haupage Nova-DT Dual DVB Tuner (Terrestrial Digital)
Wifi D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510
Mouse Gyration JJ4-MR2 2.4GHz USB dongle (Mediacenter compatible)
Keyboard Genius LuxeMate 810 Media Cruiser
TV 32in Panasonic Viera TX32LZD80 (1080p)

What do I want my system to do?
Play DVD’s, BluRays and music CD’s from optical drive AND from hard drive
Watch and record live TV (with an automatically updating 7 or 14 day guide)
Watch TV from BBC i-player / Channel 4OD / ITV-player etc
Occasionally surf the internet (ooh, get you in the 21st Century!)
Internet radio and soundcloud, including downloading mp3’s and the like.
No Gaming ever likely.
All (including sound) sent down HDMI cable to HD Panasonic TV (not 3D)
I sometimes copy DVD’s onto the 1TB harddrive, to watch again, normally uising DVD-Fab 7 to do this. (I did upgrade to version 8, but then it wanted money, so I backgraded to V7, and it works with most DVD’s still)

I appreciate your interest AND your suggestions/experience and wisdom.
Tuner might give you issues but except that i dont see any reason why not Smile
Tuner will probably work under Linux as I have a similar tuner that does. AMD graphics might give some issues under Linux. Best bet is probably to get a live CD, boot off it and see what you think. XBMCbuntu if you want to check out both XBMC's abilities and see how linux behaves too. Its stripped back from a full Ubuntu install, but it would give you an insight into what you would be getting, plus you can see if there are gonna be any driver issues etc without actually taking the plunge and installing anything to HDD.
Playing commercial Blu-rays could be an issue under Linux. The rest of what you want should be pretty do-able. The DVB-T tuner will work as a dual tuner (you might have to download the firmware for it separately depending on your Linux distro), but you probably won't get diversity reception (where it acts as a single tuner but with lots of error correction when fed from two aerials)

I have the USB Nova-DT stick and it works fine - though it isn't clear if you have the USB or PCI version.
Linux Could work but after several weeks of using linux for a similar setup i found i kept getting issues either with driver support of playback linux is good but when things do go wrong they can be a little harder fix if you don't know what you are doing (at least for me it was) i still muck around with linux distro's but mostly in a VM there are exceptions though xbmcbuntu and Openelec are two prime examples or good linux releases that work fantastic with xbmc however i cannot say how they will respond to your specific hardware and the things you want to do

how i have mine setup is

For slower older machines i run Openelec as it is light, fast and just works

For the more heavier machines i run windows mostly because i want to do other things with them like browse the web and play games i have also found no real issues with running XBMC on Windows it works as it should and Drivers and software are easily available.

A thread like this can easily escalate into a OS Holy War so i just want to state these are my opinions based on my personal experience Coming from over 13 years on Windows to a Few weeks casually on Linux you can see why my opinion may be skewed.
Thanks so far. I think I'll try blackeagle's suggestion. Don't have a weekend spare for a month, so won't start yet. Will add more as I go.
the Haupage tuner is a PCI card, by the way.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC: Should I change from Windows 7 64bit to a Linux O/S?0