Asrock H87M, Ubuntu 13.10 and AHCI
Just to give you guys a heads up, not sure if this happens in other Asrock MoBo models, personally I think there's a fair chance that it does.

I have installed Ubuntu 13.10 64 bit (minimal CD) many, and I mean MANY times and didn't have much luck a lot of the times, and I'm posting this thread so you don't have to suffer through everything I did. It's a fairly recent MoBo and I haven't seen a lot of builds using it around the forum, hope this helps someone.

Here's the problem: under certain conditions, if you try to enable AHCI in order to take full advantage of the SATA3 interface, Ubuntu will give you a puzzling "no disks detected" message, which can be solved by changing the BIOS mode to IDE - less than ideal, I know.

Now here's the catch: this happens if you change the video shared memory from the default "Auto" to anything else (512MB in my case). Once you put that back in "Auto", Ubuntu 13.10 will recognize all your disks normally, even if you have AHCI enabled. You can imagine this took many hours and my sanity (almost) to figure out. BTW once Ubuntu is installed you can change the video shared memory to whatever you want.

Cheers,
Deny

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asrock H87M, Ubuntu 13.10 and AHCI0