Win Is XBMC - TV - 5.1 surround possible?
Question 
I'm trying to figure out how to get XBMC to work with my surround sound system.

My setup is as follows:
XBMC Win7PC -> TV (HDMI). TV -> 5.1 surround bluray player (optical audio). I hear stereo audio out of the front speakers of my surround system, but nothing from the rears.

I know that the surround works because I can hear it while watching TV, as well as if I were to watch a video from a portable drive when it's connected through USB in the bluray player.

Any ideas?
Wouldn't it be better to connect your media source (PC) directly to the surround receiver then hdmi the signal to the tv?
It's not a receiver, it's a bluray player that has 5.1 surround. No HDMI IN, only optical and L/R in.
Most TV's can only output 2.0 stereo through an optical line UNLESS the source is from OTA (antenna). So no, I don't see how it would work unless you ran an optical line from your HTPC to your bluray player, and then an HDMI line from your HTPC to your tv, and have xbmc send audio through the optical line.
I don't understand your setup. How are you outputting sound from your blu ray player?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
It depends on the TV . my old lg would pass through ac3 + DTS from hdmi via optical, but my new Samsung will only pass through ac3.

How is xbmc setup in regards to audio? Optical is only capable of 2ch uncompressed audio but 5.1 CH if its compressed, ie DTS ac3 etc.
Does your XBMC Win7PC have optical out? If it does, hook it directly to the bluray and change the audio settings accordingly.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is XBMC - TV - 5.1 surround possible?0