HTPC CPU
Hi,
I'm going to build my first HTPC and I have a few questions.
Any help would be great.

I want to build a low cost Win8.1 HTPC but I'm getting stuck on which CPU to get.

Intel Pentium G3420 $79
AMD A6-6400K $75

Is the chose as clear cut as suggested here?
CPU comparison
The advantage of the intel chip is good here but AMD motherboards seem to be better equiped ie: more sata 3 connections etc.
Not sure whether to go intel or AMD.

Also I wanted to go Win8.1 after hearing about the remote desktop app that allows for connection from tablets.
The idea of being able to control the PC from a tablet seems desirable but are there any draw backs to this that I may not have considered? Is a high cost, high powered tablet require for the desktop app?
Why do you need more SATA 3 connections? You only need one to install the OS. You can put your movies on a USB3.0 external drive, and then when it is full, sell it to a friend, and buy a NAS instead.
That's just how my brain works - "cool, look at all those extra Sata3 ports"
But you're right, I don't need them.

My plan is for this to become the main PC in the house as all other PC's are old and on their way out.
That's also why I was interested in the remote desktop option.

All my media is on DVD, I plan on making the slow process of copying them.
Either one will run HTPC duties fine. It's more about what you want to do with them, more than which is "better". As a mini-ITX builder, I always go Intel because they use less power, throw less heat and there's a better supply of Intel low-profile coolers. That's less of an issue if you're building something AVR sized and you can fit in a bigger cooler. You might go with AMD though if you want more ability to game (neither is great for games though) or want better de-interlacing for SD or 1080i content (TV). My livingroom HTPC has a A8-3820 for that reason but my bedroom HTPC has a G620 because it was cheap and it doesn't matter as much.

As for the motherboard, there are Intel Haswell mini-ITX boards with 6 x SATA too but like you said, you don't need them. Most will have at least 4 x SATA.
I'd go with the Intel. For $4 more, it is about 1/3 better in performance.
Thanks for setting this straight, intel it is.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC CPU0