Linux RaspBMC - HDHomerun
pi@raspbmc:~/dvbhdhomerun-0.0.15/userhdhomerun/build$ dmesg | tail
mmcblk0: error -110 sending status command, aborting
mmc0: card b368 removed
Loading kernel module for a network device with CAP_SYS_MODULE (deprecated). Use CAP_NET_ADMIN and alias netdev- instead.
HDHomeRun: Begin exit
HDHomeRun: End exit
dvb_hdhomerun: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
HDHomeRun: Begin init, version 0.0.11
HDHomeRun: Waiting for userspace to connect
HDHomeRun: End init
Loading kernel module for a network device with CAP_SYS_MODULE (deprecated). Use CAP_NET_ADMIN and alias netdev- instead.

Dear Me! I don't know where to begin to ask questions.

I get one part of this stack of stuff to work and another breaks or isn't properly installed. My stack is: Raspberry PI (Model B), Raspbmc, SiliconDust's HDHomerun TV Tuner (ATSC, Dual, ethernet connection) and TVHeadend.

I have the Homerun showing up by adding it as a video device, but the dmesg, seems to show that is not the case.

Is this the right forum for help about this? (pardon my ignorance)
What does all this mean? Do I need to fix something?
Is the hdhomerun driver added by mere installation or does it need to be compiled? How would I see how to do the compiling?
How does the tv_grab_file and xmltv.xml connect to the Raspbmc? Are they connected automatically via the TVHeadend?
I tried this once upon a time with my HDHomeRun and a Raspberry Pi. When I tried it with Raspbmc they didn't seem to have the HDHomeRun DVB driver, and I didn't know how to compile it myself, but maybe they do now? I know OpenELEC has the HDHomeRun DVB driver for Raspberry Pi easily installable. Though to be honest, I can't remember if I got either to work in the end...
Many people have the stack of: Raspberry PI, HDHomerun, TVHeadend and XBMC working in Raspbmc.
i tried tvheadend for a while, and was able to get to the web interface, but when i got to the channel scan, it would scan for hours with no results. so i eventually shifted focus to mythtv, Dweller over on the raspberry pi forums claims success with a 2 pi setup (pi 1 with a mythtv backend, and pi 2 with OpenELEC and the pre-installed myth frontend. Me? Not so much. even though i have the same hardware stack as Dweller.

anyway, i'm interested in a collaboration with ANYONE regarding dvr on the pi. i'm about 3 months into this project and i'm starting to lose credibility with my viewing audience (the wife and kids).

tv headend, myth tv, it makes no difference to me. i'd just like to put this project to bed.
I just finished setting this up in Raspbmc today. My setup consists of a Terk HDTVa, HDHR3, a Raspberry Pi, and my MacBook Pro; I'm just using my Raspberry Pi as a TvHeadend backend. Anyways, here's what I did.

1. Setting up Raspbmc
First, I formatted my SD card so that I would have a clean slate to work with. Then I followed the OSX instructions from HERE and I didn't go through with the post-installation/advanced setup that it asks you at the end. After that I plugged in my SD card and finished off the Raspbmc installation on my Raspberry Pi. Once it was done I went to the Raspbmc settings under Programs and turned on Tvheadend.

2. Setting up Tvheadend
It seems like the HDHomerun drivers are installed by default because I had 2 HDHomerun TV Adapters under DVB Inputs when I went to the TvHeadend web interface. Anyways, once I was in the web interface I followed the usual instructions; Enable adapter --> save --> Add DVB Network by location --> United States --> us_ATSC_center_frequencies_8VSB --> Add DVB Network. At this point the number of 'Muxes awaiting initial scan' under the right sidebar should start counting down from 68 and by the end you should have the same number of Services as you would have channels on your TV. If they're not counting down, and/or the 'Currently tuned to:' section is blank, then you a problem. Basically, it should look pretty close to this picture. (I changed the names of the devices so that I could easily differentiate; unchecked 'Idle scanning'; and checked 'Use SID...', but that was unnecessary)
Once it's done scanning the muxes, go over to the Services tab; and I don't know if it a bug or if Tvheadend just doesn't do it, but whatever the case all the services will say Unmapped under the Channel Name column. I ended up copying the Play link in each channel and played them in VLC using the Open Network... option to figure out which service was what channel. I changed the names from random ones to their proper names but it doesn't really matter because when you set up the EPG guide, Tvheadend will change the name again. This part would probably suck if you get a lot of channels in your area, but here in Winnipeg we only have 7 channels which I guess was a blessing in disguise? ConfusedHuhUndecided

3. Setting up the EPG
This was the main reason why I went with Raspbmc over Openelec. Downloading the epg grabber is easier on Raspbmc based on my experience. I followed the instructions in THIS thread but basically you need to ssh into your Raspberry Pi and run the following commands
Code:
sudo apt-get install xmltv
Code:
tv_grab_na_dd -configure
The first command installs the EPG grabbers into /usr/bin which is where Tvheadend reads them from. The second command will configure the EPG grabber. It requires that you have a Schedules Direct account with a lineup set already. I'm still on my trial period since I'm not sure if I want to go with Schedules Direct or mc2xml. Anyways, that's another discussion. Once it's finished configuring, you'll need a reboot and then to go back to the TVheadend web interface --> Configuration --> Channel/EPG --> EPG grabber and then check off all options under General Config; and from the Module drop down menu select XMLTV: North America (Data Direct) then save your configuration. It should look like this.
You'll probably need to wait like 30 minutes for the EPG to show up but you're done! Just setup the PVR frontend in xbmc and you can start watching TV with a guide.

The one problem I'm facing is that the channels are often stuttering/buffering. I'm thinking it's because I'm using wifi but if not then maybe overclocking the Raspberry Pi will help. Anyways, good luck with your setup!
Nice!
Kojiono, wow thank you so much!

I too have spent all my collateral with the misses. I followed your directions to the letter, minus naming the unmapped channels,since you said the EPG would take care of that. However, I still don't have an EPG or channels in live TV. Please help!

My setup;
RASPBMC, HDHOMERUN Prime, TVHeadend for front and back end.

Steps accomplished:
Clean install RASPBMC, with auto updates
Add MPEG2 license
Enable TVHeadend
Enable TVHeadend PVR add-on
Login to TVHEAD web interface
Enable all 3 tuners, add DVB network by location as described
All muxes scanned
Ran SSH commands after signing up for Schedules Direct 7-day trial
Multiple reboots/crashes
Configure EPG on web interface
Wait 5 hrs

Results:
I can access tuners via UPnP
If I go to Live TV the EPG is blank, and the channel list is empty.
Web interface also shows a blank EPG

Ideas? I don't know how long the laptop WMC bandage will let me get away with giving back the cable company's DVR. Thanks for the help. I am excited to see this work for our family.
I have a basic question related to this thread.
Is Live TV from tvheadend under XBMC using hdhomerun (prime) expected to work?.

[The HDHR prime has a cablecard that appears registered/working, dlna works...]
I have some channels and services [seems missing the non-free but no matter].
[I can make my own channel list or use US cable center-frequencies, doesnt seem to matter].
I have Videos...upnp/dlna finding channels and able to watch.
I have the mpeg2 license [without it dlna only had sound] also have VC1 if it matters.
I have used Gotham and most prior versions, several distros, openelec+raspbmc+xbian.
Rebuilt (from git-source) openelec and xbian. Tried some of the latest RPi/Gotham
builds mentioned in another thread].

End result seems to be "no input detected" and tvheadend status going
testing->bad->testing.

Anyone got a working recipe?.

Its all on one Pi for now [I intend to use 2 Pi's eventually as it runs around 100% on 1].

I've seen threads about issues with the builtin omxplayer, start frames being missing, and
apparent issues with RPi firmware which send me in circles.
[I've turned on all manner of debugging, including xbmc but nothing jumps out. It seems
to subscribe to a channel [hdhomerun tunes that channel] then reports no input detected repeatedly].
I can see the hdhomerun being tuned. I have the standalone omxplayer installed and was looking
for some debug hints using it [or femon/dvbutils...] but I dont know enough about the signal/data format
get get any further. [omxplayer appears able to play streams saved using hdhomerun_config and some
other avi/mpeg2/.strm files I found].

Is it supposed to work? using any set of versions of Kernel,Hdhomerun,XBMC, tvheadend, RPi firmware?.
Anyone have a working recipe?.
If its supposed to work anyone got a recommendation of what logs would be required to get any further
with diagnosis?.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RaspBMC - HDHomerun0