Win Problem with 21:9 TV
Hi all,

One of my customers that have purchase an HTPC to me has a problem with his 21:9 TV.

The TV is a led pfl-7956, with 21:9 format and resolution 2520x1080. The HTPC "wears" an AMD APU A8 5500, so it integrates a Radeon VGA.

The issue is that HTPC allows a maximum resolution of 1920*1080, and of course, it makes black vertical bars to be on both sides of the screen.

According to some comments given to me in the spanish forum ForoDVD, it's impossible to send to the TV its native resolution of 2520x1080, they told me that the procedure is sending 1920*1080 and use the different zooms of the TV to scale the image.

But maximum resolution of HDMI 1.4 is 3840x2160 at 30hz, so theorically the HTPC should be capable to send to the TV its native resolution, even if its at a framerate below 60hz.

My customer insists that when he connect a Bluray reader or other devive, the image takes the whole screen without the need of using zooms, but with the HTPC he gets vertical bars on both sides since resolution is 1920x1080 instead 2520x1080.

I thought it could be a problem of drivers, I thought it would be needed installing on Windows a TV drivers that allows que operative system to recognize this resolution, but I've been looking for those drivers with no result.

¿Someone with a PC screen or a TV with this resolution can lend me a hand?

Many thanks in advance

Tassadar
So what you seem to be telling us is that amds drivers do not work properly to give full resolution. How unsurprising. Amd seem the least capable of the three big gpu manufacturers at present.

I am assuming you have tried right clicking on the desktop and changing the resolution?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Nah, it's more about 21:9 TVs being pants-on-head retarded. The other devices are zooming, but they just do it in a transparent fashion so that the user doesn't notice.
I guess the first thing is to see what res it is running at.

Of course much material is 16:9, including any modern tv prgramme. That will have black bars at the side on a 21:9 screen, same as playing 4:3 on a 16:9 screen - unless you want distortion.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with 21:9 TV0