Unusual requirements
I know that there are a lot of threads on building HTPC's, but my audio/video requirements are somewhat unusual, and the searches I have done usually direct me to a thread that is too technical for me. I am a cartoon fanatic, and have several terrabytes of cartoons stored on my desktop, arranged by folder. What I usually do is select a particular series (for example, Beavis and Butthead) and run a playlist of the 200 episodes in random/repeat using VLC or regular Windows media player. All of my content is non-HD, mostly in mono. A lot has been transferred from VHS. I currently have a storage drive in my main desktop gaming computer, and use a wireless keyboard to run it, and have an HDMI cable routed to my TV. What I would like to know is do any of the inexpensive boxes have the simple playlist/random repeat options I use now? And can any of them play from network sources? That is less important, I can always get a cheap enclosure and remove my storage drive if I have to. But most of the advertising and threads seem to be about the HD quality and sound quality, which is not the content I want to play. I love good movies, but I watch on Blu-Ray with my sound system, I don't NEED a box for that content. I sometimes do light web browsing and Amazon Prime streaming to my TV, but it isn't a necessity. I have been building mid-range gaming rigs for years, so I can always put together a computer if I have to, but honestly I feel that 250-350 is a bit much to spend for what I want it for. I also really don't want to get into the tweaking of software unless I have to, so I guess what I am asking is if any of the 80-150 dollar ready made streaming devices will do what I need?
Xbmc can use network sources. Xbmc can useplaylists.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Ouya is about $99
Raspberry PI and accessories about $50 to $75
Either would do what you want with xbmc installed
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Look into xbmc with either of the two add-ons. PseudoTV or PseudoTV Live. Both different add-ons so make sure that you know which one you are using
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unusual requirements0