Virtualizing unRAID with Xen on Arch Linux, XBMC & Windows with VGA Passthrough
** If you're interested in finding out more about how I did what I did, I blog as I go and all my instructions are available here - blog.ktz.me **

During the summer I set out to consolidate my desktop, htpc and unraid server into one box using virtualisation. The results, I'm pleased to say, exceeded my pre-project expectations! I now have one box running 4 OSs concurrently, including a Windows virtual machine with full VGA passthrough which I use as my daily desktop (see pic at the bottom) but also for flawless gaming. Quick rundown of the OSs:

Dom0 (Host) - Arch Linux with Xen 4.3 and XBMC
- Utilises the CPU built-in graphics to run XBMC via a HDMI splitter to my TV in the lounge and kitchen. Only requires 15GB of SSD space and 1GB RAM to run, this is why I love Arch (among other reasons).

DomU1 - unRAID
- 18TB of protected storage available for usage by all VMs and acts as a NAS device

DomU2 - Windows 8.1 (with full 3d VGA passthrough)
- The really nifty bit here isn't the running of Windows as a VM or even the VGA passthrough, it's that I figured out a way using DevManView to automatically eject the card on reboot (this made Windows unusable before). It has been working flawlessly for over 3 months so I'd say it's ready for primetime!

DomU3 - Arch VM
- For Sab, Sickbeard, PLex etc...

Windows gaming performance seems to be the most popular question I've been asked about so I made a little video showing F1 2013 running at max settings smooth as silk @ 60FPS using my 7870.

I have written extensively about how to do this on my blog, so please go check it out. Or just ask Qs here - whatever, I'll try to answer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Virtualizing unRAID with Xen on Arch Linux, XBMC & Windows with VGA Passthrough0