XBMC and NAS setup
So I am new to xbmc and using a NAS, I am familiar with video codecs, container types, and frame rates, etc. I have a few questions on how to set up my xbmc and what is the best file structure to use for all the media files? So first let you give you the specs on my equipment I have, Intel NUC with Core i3 processor, 32gb msata hard drive, 8gb ram, wireless N / Blue tooth adapter. I originally installed Lynix open-elec operating system, but is better in the long run to install Windows OS instead? Space and memory won't be an issue as that was the only reason I got the hard drive installed was for the OS. I have a lot of digital content collected from over the years, mostly music purchased from iTunes, along with some movies and tv shows, getting rid of the drm protection is not a problem, that I can do but what is the best file formats to use for streaming content in 1080p? I have some telling me to go with .mkv and others to stay with .mp4? What do the settings on my NAS need to be so the files are showing up on xbmc and vice versa?
I don't think you will need Windows for the client (Intel NUC) if it's just for XBMC and it's being fed by a separate NAS.

The client should play all your content as is so there should not be any need for conversion unless storage space is an issue on your NAS. On XBMC simply browse Windows networks SMB to see SMB/Samba shares, the NAS should appear then add any folder holding your files.

As to DRM content, you will have to strip that from the media if it's at all possible, such software may likely re-encode the media at pre-defined settings. MP4 or MKV doesn't really make much of a difference, if those apps are converting into those containers then it is doing H.264 video for both.
I have tons of content in MKV, works flawlessly all the time with XBMC on an older Shuttle XS35GT v1. Decodes 1080p all day long.
With and older version (Dharma) had problem with SMB shares on my Windows 7/8 NAS box, but with Frodo 12.2 (using later version of OpenElec) its not a problem at all.

My NAS in a Dual Core PC running windows 8 with FlexRAID.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC and NAS setup0