DTS Audio-CD support (and DTS Audio-CD ISO/IMG/NRG images)?
eheh

for dts to be supported, the hardware/software needs to support it. i very much doubt the msdash cdplayer has that support. (but i could be wrong)

dts.cd's are always 44.1khz.

dts.movies are always 48khz.

there's no re-encoding back to dts anywhere whatsoever. (i said this in my earlier posts rather clearly!!!Winkdts encoders are not available publically.
ac3 encoding is done in xbox hardware
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

thanks again pike. let's hope xbox 2 has a dts encoder and dts games instead of dd games eh!

or both even. :agree:
(pike @ mar. 29 2005,17:07 Wrote:eheh

for dts to be supported, the hardware/software needs to support it. i very much doubt the msdash cdplayer has that support. (but i could be wrong)

dts.cd's are always 44.1khz.

dts.movies are always 48khz.

there's no re-encoding back to dts anywhere whatsoever. (i said this in my earlier posts rather clearly!!!Winkdts encoders are not available publically.
ac3 encoding is done in xbox hardware
ok, it was about dts.cd ... :bowdown:

ok, so when found dts 44k, xbmc will play ac3 48k ... exact ? Huh
have you got more data about ac3 output stream, like bitrate, usualy dd use 448kbps, but dts 1.5mbps ... any quality lost ? Confusedaint:

and about cpu time used for this dts@44 -> ac3@48 ... an idea ?
( is it possible to add a "cpu use" graph/value in xbmc ? ... )
dts.cd's are unsupported, but when xbmc encounters a dts.wav.44100 it will try and output it whatever way is most suitable with your config. it will be decoded to pcm and then depending on your settings, be outputted.

hardware xbox ac3 bitrate is max what specs allow, around 640kbps (trying to dig up this info now)
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

also worth trying, either .dts or .wav extension.
did you try videolan ?

Smile 
i was wondering if the makers of this great piece of xbox software are able to add an dts audio cd plugin ?

right now i won't be able to play dts audio cd's on my xbox.

dts audio cd's are cd's that have a much better sound on an 5.1 stereo set.(but i guess the makers know what i mean)

i hope i can see an dts audio cd plugin in a next release of this great piece of software.
i have a bunch of dts cd images on my pc hard drive. reading this thread i thought they wouldn't work on the xbox, but apparently at some point it has been implemented such that dts audio at 44.1 is converted on the fly to dolby digital ac3. if there's a hit in the sound quality i can't really hear it. thanks to whoever implemented it!

if you have a dts cd, just rip it to wav files on your pc hard disk and play them back in xbmc over the net - it will work!
it should just work by throwing the disk in as well.

Question 
Hi Folks, I have a few .nrg image files of DTS Audio CDs. The only way I've found to play them so far is to burn the image to a CD and put it in the drive of the xbox, which works perfectly. Just wondering if there's any way to play the image file itself?
I'm sure others will agree that this thread seems to have caused some massive confusion, with little resolution.

I understand how and why the xbox doesn't (easily) work with DTS CDs, and that you can get it to pass through the 44.1kHz tracks to your decoder *only* if dolby and dts support are turned off in the dashboard, making it unworkable as a solution due to being so fiddly to change each time you want to watch a dvd or listen to a DTS CD - but, would it be possible to implement an on-the-fly disabling of digital output either automatically or manually from within xbmc?

That would be the closest and (I would have thought) simplest workaround to this basic hardware limitation. Failing that, I'll just keep my old marantz cd player for my DTS CD collection.

Thanks,

Dan
You cannot get it to passthrough at all, so this is a moot point.

As has been made clear in this thread: Xbox ONLY outputs 48kHz, thus the DTS must be decoded prior to output.

The output method has no effect as the audio has to be resampled (and thus decoded) either way.

I'm sorry to disagree, but if you disable dolby and dts output in the ms dash, it will pass the dts through - because it just plays the 'noise' which can then be decoded. I only know this because it was included in the readme that came with a 1.x version of xbmx that I had many moons ago. It does work - please try it. The downside is that if you disable digital output etc, dvd will not play in 5.1, dts.

I wouldn't have known this if it wasn't included in the list of known problems - I honestly didn't make it up.

Thanks,

Dan
OK, maybe I'm talking rubbish, but I did get audio out of the DTS CDs when setup in the way I've described. Is that because XBMC is processing it in software (or used to perhaps?).

Thanks,

Dan
It processes in software either way - the output method just denotes whether it's downmixed to stereo (in hardware) for analog output, or output in surround as ac3.

I don't quite get your answer about output configuration:

If the xbox is set to do only stereo it should play the encoded 44.1kHz track via both analog (scart or composite) audio out, and via the optical out in exactly the same way as it would play a standard audio cd. The fact that it would sound like pink noise if you tried to listen to it via an analog amp is irrelavant. As soon as you 'play' this noise into your decoder, it will decode it - as the av decoder in an av amp is clearly capable of handling 44.1kHz DTS.

The problem is that when you have digital and dts configured as yes, the xbox handles it differently - in other words it doesn't simply pass the 44.1kHz track as is.

Please try what I am saying to see what I mean.

Thanks,

Dan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS Audio-CD support (and DTS Audio-CD ISO/IMG/NRG images)?0