XBMC displays thumbnails late
Ok, so I have thousands of movies already scanned,
and everytime i reopen xbmc,
the thumbnails for some movies will only show up only if i focus on the movie for like 3 sec...
If not it will only display the letter and info
is this because Frodo's new caching mechanism..?
Is there anyway to speed it up?
Check the Debug Log why it's showing it so late. Maybe some broken image links in the database on which it times out
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-12-25, 13:15)Martijn Wrote: Check the debug log why it's showing it so late. Maybe some broken image links in the database on which it times out

Any idea?

btw The errors at the bottom is not related to my problem, it's like that because it's currently scanning those folders..
the error is located in different folder (A-E folder)

Here's what i mean.. I don't think it was like this in eden ?
Things have changed massively in Frodo so what was in Eden forget it, dont even compare it.

1) Use default skin.
2) Thumbs need to be recached (2 weeks to a month depending on how much you navigate around and size of lib)and this is a as you go through library things get recached or you can use 3rd party tools like http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=158373 and mklocal.py as well from same author.
3) You wont get anywhere by flying through the entries at light speed until everything is cached, I doubt that worked even in Eden. If you notice the entries that have been recached show up in time.
4) Many many many posts regarding similar stuff like this have already been posted and offer many solutions with how-tos;

Good news is at least you posted a video.

Heres one for you, which I think applies not to problem necessarily but more entertaining.

Lastly that adage applies, "Better late than never" But you would argue that "Better never than late"
(2013-12-25, 14:53)uNiversal Wrote: Things have changed massively in Frodo so what was in Eden forget it, dont even compare it.

1) Use default skin.
2) Thumbs need to be recached (2 weeks to a month depending on how much you navigate around and size of lib)and this is a as you go through library things get recached or you can use 3rd party tools like http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=158373 and mklocal.py as well from same author.
3) You wont get anywhere by flying through the entries at light speed until everything is cached, I doubt that worked even in Eden. If you notice the entries that have been recached show up in time.
4) Many many many posts regarding similar stuff like this have already been posted and offer many solutions with how-tos;

Good news is at least you posted a video.

Heres one for you.

Thanks the answer

1. Unfortunately is not an option for me, i customized my own skin because this is for public usage.
2. I see... Thing is, i just scanned my xmbc couple of hours ago, not 2 weeks ago..
so if i use this tool would it make a difference?

Any other way to speed it up?

I plan to use this pc as a "thumbnail server for other PCs"
i just a bit concerned how the performance would be on the client side...
Public or not use default skin for a while when no public is using it.... As default skin is probably faster to get you started or make sure the skin code is fast and using optimal queries.

Things need to be cached to Textures13.db in userdata (wiki) if you notice this file is still growing in size while you SLOWLY navigate around, much of the metadata is extracted only when you use the GUI like SD/HD flags and runtime totals this is a massive slow process and its been made "slightly" better in Gotham. There's options to extract thumbs from files in XBMC, consult the wiki. ThumbnailCache (wiki) and Settings/Videos#File_lists (wiki)

Look at using dds art hint advancedsettings.xml (wiki)

You can make the art local by using mklocal.py https://github.com/MilhouseVH/texturecache.py and http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1530811 and that textures tool I pointed you to to make the art "local", the bottleneck will be your HDD and Network latency. You could go down the road with mysql setup fro multiple machines HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_MySQL (wiki) idk about Thumbnail server.

Consider this your only present from me. Im not going to repeat this again, the answer(s) is/are there.

And lastly theres no substitute for searching, something you clearly did not do.
Oh yea and speaking of searching, I remember reading somewhere that XBMC wont work in Win XP in Gotham and you are... using win xp or were using it.
(2013-12-25, 15:18)uNiversal Wrote: Public or not use default skin for a while when no public is using it.... As default skin is probably faster to get you started or make sure the skin code is fast and using optimal queries.

Things need to be cached to Textures13.db in userdata (wiki) if you notice this file is still growing in size while you SLOWLY navigate around, much of the metadata is extracted only when you use the GUI like SD/HD flags and runtime totals this is a massive slow process and its been made "slightly" better in Gotham. There's options to extract thumbs from files in XBMC, consult the wiki. ThumbnailCache (wiki) and Settings/Videos#File_lists (wiki)

Look at using dds art hint advancedsettings.xml (wiki)

You can make the art local by using mklocal.py https://github.com/MilhouseVH/texturecache.py and http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1530811 and that textures tool I pointed you to to make the art "local", the bottleneck will be your HDD and Network latency. You could go down the road with mysql setup fro multiple machines HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_MySQL (wiki) idk about Thumbnail server.

Consider this your only present from me. Im not going to repeat this again, the answer(s) is/are there.

And lastly theres no substitute for searching, something you clearly did not do.

(2013-12-25, 15:33)uNiversal Wrote: Oh yea and speaking of searching, I remember reading somewhere that XBMC wont work in Win XP in Gotham and you are... using win xp or were using it.

Yeah unfortunately my clients are using xp...
The server version does not need customization but client version needs it because i need to block certain features...

Ok I'll give those a try,
speaking of local i just remembered something,
Previously i use Sync program called Goodsync to sync Userdata folder in client from server...

So it made sure the content of the userdata is exactly the same from server
The disadvantage of this method is that it takes up hdd space, which is gonna get bigger and bigger

I think i'm going to compare both methods to see which one is faster...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC displays thumbnails late0