Win Movie descriptions
Hi all,

I have been using XBMC for quite some time now and instead of using some scrapers I manage all folder icons by myself.
What I found out so far is, that in the movie folder there has to be a folder.jpg and a fanart.jpg for folder icons and movie wallpaper.

But is there any possibility to integrate a movie description? Normal *.txt files won't be recognized and I didn't find much about this issue on the internet. Any ideas?
Look up NFO files - you can populate these with whatever information you need, then scrape them in.
I`m not exactly sure what is meant by "scrape them in".
I created a movie.nfo file and saved it to the movie folder. Could you show me the next step with a screenshot maybe?
If you create an NFO with the same name as the movie, then re-add the movie to your library, XBMC will take the NFO information in preference to anything from the Internet - that saves you from using any mainstream scraper, as you wish to do.

You can either open the movie information and select 'refresh', or, I think, scan it into the library from Files view by trying to view the movie information for the first time. Obviously, which you do depends on whether it's already in your library.

I am assuming you're using a library view, of course... if you're not, I don't think that there's anywhere to store the descriptions because you're limited to filenames.
I think your last sentence clears it up a little. All I did so far is adding my network hard drive without selecting any media type (which basically means no scraper, right?)
With this setup, folder.jpg and fanart.jpg are still working fine. This is what it looks like right now: click

I can't use movie descriptions this way?
No, I don't think so... you need to move to library view, since XBMC needs its database in which to store the descriptions. Now, that doesn't mean that you *have* to use a scraper - you're right, not setting a media type stops any network scraping, but you can still use NFOs to populate the library, or even use something like Ember Media Manager to edit the database directly.

May I ask why you don't want to use a scraper, though? Presumably so you can separate groups of films or something like that?
(2014-01-19, 16:43)Prof Yaffle Wrote: May I ask why you don't want to use a scraper, though? Presumably so you can separate groups of films or something like that?
Well, I guess it's mostly because I don't like the idea of not having full controll of what is being downloaded and displayed.
I want to decide by myself which movie cover and which background is shown for each movie. Furthermore the PC is not intended to always have an internet connection.

(2014-01-19, 16:43)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Now, that doesn't mean that you *have* to use a scraper - you're right, not setting a media type stops any network scraping, but you can still use NFOs to populate the library
Thats the point that I unfortunately don't understand yet. Isn't video library mode enabled by setting media type to e.g. "movies"?
But if I do so there is automatically set a scraper (in my case it's themoviedb.org). I assume, that the network scraper will preference folder and fanart jpgs
on my hard drive if he can find them. But won't he download plot summarys and movie covers, if there are not files on my hdd?
You can always over-ride the artwork - that's easy - you can change that for anything the scraper finds or anything you have locally. Also, internet is only needed when scraping; no internet simply means no new details.

Editing names and descriptions is a little harder - you can scrape, export to NFOs, edit and re-import, or edit directly in the database with various tools. But it's doable.

I must confess that you've got me on the last point. I'm not sure you have to have a media type to have a library; you simply need entries in the database. You'd normally get these by scraping, which is why I'd assume that you could create an NFO, scrape (import) it and you'd now have a one-entry database. I think the media type tells it what database to put the entries into (video or music), how to file (TV shows vs Films) and the source (scraper - e.g. themoviedb or imdb). All of these are in the NFOs, though.

Best way is to try it... I can give you a sample NFO if you like, and we can see what happens.
Read NFO files (wiki).

When scraping they are preferred over going online.
XBMC is about library [1]. If you don't want to use library, you miss a lot of good stuff.

[1] OK it's about playing media, but mplayer can do that with basically the same ffmpeg code.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie descriptions0