Solved XBMC crashes at startup on new XBMCbuntu install
I had an original installation of XBMCbuntu with an older Ubuntu install (I think it was 11.01?) which I'd upgraded to Frodo 12.2. After a few attempts to upgrade the OS, I got tired of running into issues so I backed up my user directory (including .xbmc) and the installed media, downloaded a fresh XBMCbuntu install .iso, (specifically xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-AMD.iso) burned it, and installed as a clean installation (wiping what was in place). The system will boot, and I can get into the XBMCbuntu GUI, but XBMC itself crashes almost immediately on start. I say "almost" because it will briefly display the background, then go back to the XBMCbuntu splash screen and eventually leave me at the lightdm login prompt. This box is dedicated to running XBMC, so I figured the simplest way to get this working was just to use the live CD to install, which is why I've done it this way.

Reproducing this is (unfortunately) very straightforward: From lightdm if I select XBMC, the Frodo splash screen displays briefly, followed by a brief display of what I assume is supposed to be the background for Confluence, with a return to lightdm. If I start the "XBMCbuntu" desktop, and run xbmc from an xterm, I get the following:

Code:
WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /home/david/.cache/keyring-yqitPI/pkcs11: No such file or directory
/usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
/usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
LLVM ERROR: Program used external function '' which could not be resolved!
pure virtual method called
terminate called without an active exception
Aborted (core dumped)

I have not (yet) restored anything from the backup.

Here's the info that I think I'm supposed to provide, please let me know what else I might have missed, and thanks in advance:

xbmc.log - I see a number of errors in there but I am not sure what to do about those

uname -a
Linux media 3.5.0-45-generic #68-Ubuntu SMP Mon Dec 2 22:02:00 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 12.10 - XBMCbuntu
Release: 12.10
Codename: quantal

dmesg output
lspci output

gdb output (not sure if I did this right):
Code:
gdb /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin core
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.5-ubuntu
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-linux-gnu".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin...(no debugging symbols found)...done.

warning: core file may not match specified executable file.
[New LWP 2819]
Core was generated by `python /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
#0  0xb68d932e in ?? ()
(gdb) thread apply all bt

Thread 1 (LWP 2819):
#0  0xb68d932e in ?? ()
#1  0x09aff800 in ?? ()
Backtrace stopped: previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)
AMD have junked your GPU, left it in the dust. The drivers on that ISO do not work with 2xxx, 3xxx or 4xxx AMD chips, because AMD are... assholes.

Easiest thing would be to install 12.04 LTS minimal ubuntu, and proceed from there. There are plenty of howtos about the place.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
You forgot 5xxx chips and that it wont matter doing any how-tos ( OSS doesnt support anything less UVD 2.2 which this is definitely less.) there aren't many how tos for this...) that since fglrx doesnt accelerate anything by default and then also xbmc wont have xvba support and that mmm OSS also wont work (as I said above), so really need xbmcbuntu beta1 repack iso (which is ubuntu 12.04lts based and upgrade xbmc via also outdated xbmc-xvba-frodo ppa which at best is 12.2 and thats it.

See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1321833 or throw that gpu out the window.
nickr: You were helping me in the other thread, and this is all the result of issues that did seem to be with the drivers. Now I guess I see why I had such a mess. Nothing's ever easy, I should have just left well enough alone and lived with 12.2 forever. <sigh>

So question for both you guys: before I saw uNiversal's note, I'd already burned a 12.04LTS ISO and installed from that. I did the software install from the GUI in Ubuntu and it installed Eden fine, and I just verified that I can play media off my backup, so the drivers are working. It seems like the base OS and drivers are OK, can I just follow the part to get frodo and be done with it?

Specificially this:
Quote:sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-frodo
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

And apologies for not finding a thread that had essentially the exact same title as mine.

I may have a newer GPU coming out of a machine that I'll be "retiring" in a few weeks, but for now, that old one will need to do. This is definitely a "put together with what I had lying around" and to be honest is used pretty much only when I'm trying to get a bit of exercise in on my stationary bike, so I'm trying to avoid spending even a minimal amount for "new" parts.

You guys have been great, thanks for your patience.
idk about nick but I can tell you this for sure, idk as I dont have any ATI hardware.
It looks like the steps above worked (for some reason, it took me about 5 tries to get it to add the repository, it kept telling me there was something wrong with my network connection, though I know there wasn't). In any case, I now have frodo 12.2 installed, and I think that I'm not just going to leave it there rather than shoot myself trying to get 12.3 installed. (Or would that now be considered "safe")?

One final thing: I've got my media & .xbmc configuration saved, can I just copy it back to the original directories (without XBMC running) and go with that?
12.3 does not have xvba support so thers is no gpu acceleration and tbh I dont really know ATI that well, as I dont use it or have ever set it up...
this is because xvba ppas are no longer developed and xvba support (what makes your gpu accelerate content) has been discontinued and abandoned...

Leave it now it works, when you have a decent Gpu that either OSS for ATI and vdpau supports or nvidia else leave it.

Mark the thread as solved and enjoy xbmc...
I'm still having some issues getting it to boot into XBMC directly, but I see there are a zillion threads around that so I'm sure I'll find an answer. Thanks again.
Just select the xbmc session from lightdm login in XBMC (Not XBMCbuntu) enter pass and that's it. leave it...

When you exit xbmc just turn it off Lightdm will remember the last login and if that was xbmc this time it will be direct...
Wink 
(2014-01-21, 01:46)uNiversal Wrote: Just select the xbmc session from lightdm login in XBMC (Not XBMCbuntu) enter pass and that's it. leave it...

When you exit xbmc just turn it off Lightdm will remember the last login and if that was xbmc this time it will be direct...
I was trying too hard. Big Grin

I'd assumed it was more complex because I wasn't running XBMCbuntu, and was trying to muck with the lightdm settings. As soon as I realized that I could just click on the icon to select the XBMC session to log in, it worked perfectly, as you said.

Looks like I'm back in business, and I think I won't even think about an upgrade until I have a newer card.

Thanks again, I appreciate your patience. In "real life", I occasionally have to deal with folks asking (to me) what are obvious questions, and it's sometimes hard not to respond with something that's best not said in polite company.
When you get a new card, for heaven's sake go nVidia.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks for the tip! As I mentioned, the XBMC system is thrown together from all kind of parts. Fairly old Dell desktop machine without much RAM, and the only reason it even has a separate card is because that came out of another system which in fact does have an nVidia (9400 something maybe?). That system is about to be "retired", and I haven't figured out if I'll want to bother with a separate graphics card, but if not, I'll move the nVidia card over.
nVidia 9400 supports vdpau, so video decoding should be OK.

Do you need HD audio? (ie truehd or dts-ma)
9400 is the same GPU ION1 had/has It can do Mutichannel lpcm @192kHz/24bit which is equal or better than HD audio anyway, since of course the 9400 cannot indeed passthrough HD audio because of hardware limitation.
Personally would use the 9400 and likely get wonderful playback out of this up to 1080p@40Mb/s bitrate.

But then again dkozinn clearly doesnt require HD audio since he is using this HD32xxx which has no hd audio support anyway.

* un1versal reckons nvidia 9400 trumps This ATI @ ease of setup and reliability.

Save your money?
That's right, no HD audio needed. As I mentioned, that box is mostly used when I'm catching up on things while riding my exercise bike, and it's just got a fairly small monitor and a cheap pair of speakers on it. I'd initially even tried using the built-in video but it couldn't keep up with pretty much anything because the processor is so slow, and since I had that ATI card lying around, I put it in and it worked (at the time).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC crashes at startup on new XBMCbuntu install1