Linux [SOLVED] Toggle between 5.1 and 2.0 audio output
I'm looking for some plugin/addon/API/code that makes it possible to toggle between the 5.1 and 2.0 audio output with one press of a button.
The problem I want to solve is that during the day I play the sound from the XBMC trough my 5.1 speakers setup, but during the night I'm using my 2.0 headphones so that I don't disturb the neighbors.
Every time I want to switch the audio output I have to go trough bunch of menus and numerous clicks on the remote.
I will be glad if someone point me in the right direction. Eventually I think I could write the code myself but it would take time.
Only way within xbmc I can think of is to use the Profiles feature.

So configure one profile with the 5.1 settings and another with the 2.0 settings, and then map the switch profile action to a button on the remote.
PulseAudio may also be of use here depending on how the 5.1 is done for which we'd need to know more about your equipment and how it is connected. If by hdmi with 5.1 PCM available then you can decode everything within xbmc and let PulseAudio handle switching between 5.1 and headphones.
Yes, I'm using pulseaudio and it can be configured to output 2.0 or 5.1, in my case the 5.1 config is handled by Logitech Z506 speakers, but I think it is not posible for pulseaudio to downmix the channels of the movie audio track playing in the XBMC from 5.1 to 2.0 when XBMC audio output is configured as 5.1 and the pulseaudio output is also 5.1.
Do you "think" that - or did you try this?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Problem solved with the Aufio Profies addon.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[SOLVED] Toggle between 5.1 and 2.0 audio output0