Linux Updating XBMCbuntu questions
Hi.

Now with Gotham getting to RC1, i want to update my XBMCbuntu installation.
I'm just not sure, how to do it proberly.
I'm guessing that the ubuntu version that a fresh .ISO with gotham comes with, is the newest ubuntu version.

I'm currently running:
mediacenter@XBMC:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 12.10 - XBMCbuntu
Release: 12.10
Codename: quantal

I've read how to update here:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...#XBMCbuntu

And it worked fine with 12 to 12.3 when that came out.
But, if i do the update from Eden to Gotham, it wont update my ubuntu version will it?

How do it update the entire system, without deleting my settings?
The XBMCbuntu installation is the "updater" for the shared MySQL database with all the XBMC info, that i CAN'T lose, since it's stuffed with info.

Best regards, Dennis.
A linux newb Tongue
Kodi is the best HTPC software i know.
I've been using it since Dharma<3

There should be instructions on the wiki on how to update from Frodo to Gotham. Make sure you backup your database and userdata folder just in case.

You can upgrade the whole OS by following any "how to update Ubuntu from command-line" guide. Be aware that you may lose the XBMC boot splash image.
I know apt-get update & upgrade, but that doesn't update my ubuntu installation to a newer version does it?

I updated from windows to Ubuntu all I did was copy all the XML data files and every went OK it took a long time to boot the first time all good now
The command you want is "do-release-upgrade", I've done it myself before but plan to reinstall this time to move to 64bit. You will need to re-add the XMBC ppa afterwards though since the upgrade disables all 3rd party sources and then apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. I would wait for XBMC 13 final to release though if I were you so the stable PPA actually has a build for 14.04 in it.
Hmm, i feared i had to reinstall.

I'm afraid to lose the connection as the "updater" for my MySQL database.

But i guess, i just have to take a chance...

I have daily backups of my MySQL database, and i exported the database through XBMC to a USB stick yesterday.
I just don't have the best experiences with backup's working correctly, i had problems with dobbel items for everything in my libary last time, and i had to start over, and mark everything as watched, manually.

Thanks for advice all!

I copied the enitre userdata folder.

Reinstalled XBMCbuntu 14.04 gotham beta 4 x64
updated to RC with apt-get update and upgrade.
rebooted
Installed PVR manually since it wasn't bundled
renamed userdata to userdata_old
moved the original userdata back (took 1½ hour)
rebooted
All was working!

I had to reinstall spotimc, and after i did that, the shortcuts previously created in former installation worked.
And i had to reinstall dropbox, that was a bit of bitch, but i got i written down now for next time Tongue

Gotham created new tables in my mysql database, and when i updated the other XBMC installations, they were looking at the right tables.

It was very smooth!

THANKS!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updating XBMCbuntu questions0