Linux Ubuntu 14.04 XBMC Video Problem
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to XBMC and Ubuntu and I have a question about some video problems I've been having.

My setup is running on an Intel 2 duo machine with 2gb of ram and an Nvidia GeForce 210 video card. I'm am running the media from a win 7 machine and the files are shared using SMB.

Whenever I play a media file (mostly those with 5.1 audio and 1080p video) the video starts off stuttering with no audio. If I press pause for a few sec then press play the video plays nice and smooth with audio.

Also, once going, videos will randomly freeze and stop. I can usually restart it and it will play just fine. It seems to be random. I can even fast forward to the point where it froze and the video will continue to play just fine.

Here is my debug file. http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=189201

Hope this makes since to someone.

Thanks for the help
Install a proper build (Gotham rc1) from our unstable PPA
Hi wsnipex,

Ok, I'll see if I can install Gotham tonight. This is all new to me, so I may be back with questions on how to install.

Thanks.
Just read Team XBMC PPA (wiki)
Thanks for the info. I'll try that when I get back home on monday.
Looks like Gotham went stable so the install was easy. My HD videos load and play no problem now, although I still get random video pauses after playing for a few hours.

It doesn't completely shut off the video like in Frodo though. I'll keep an eye on it, but it seems to be some kind of buffer issue that only shows up after playing videos for a while.
Debug Log will help if it occurs again.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
It happened again today. Seems to be random. I forgot to turn the debug log on so I'll catch it next time I watch something.

I stream my video files through a Windows SMB server, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Does Linux and XBMC not get along well with SMB sharing?
Logfile will tell. Most of the time it's the windows box that sucks.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-05-14, 07:48)fritsch Wrote: Logfile will tell. Most of the time it's the windows box that sucks.

Ah ok, I'll see if I can get it to do it again today and log it.
(2014-05-14, 07:48)fritsch Wrote: Logfile will tell. Most of the time it's the windows box that sucks.

Actually I think he means Window SMB maybe because CIFS, I dont think he actually running samab server on windows especially if thats some of the shelf NAS as they tend to be Linux based. But tahts is pure guess, hardly know anyone who runs windows server to serve stuff over LAN, that said I agree, windows sucks.
(2014-05-14, 22:16)uNiversal Wrote:

Actually I think he means Window SMB maybe because CIFS, I dont think he actually running samab server on windows especially if thats some of the shelf NAS as they tend to be Linux based. But tahts is pure guess, hardly know anyone who runs windows server to serve stuff over LAN, that said I agree, windows sucks.

Hi Universal,
Yes, I have all my media on a Win 7 machine in my bedroom. I just have a shared folder that I access through my home network. My XBMC Ubuntu PC is in the living room connected to my TV. The Win 7 machine is connected with a wireless network card, and the XBMC machine is wired to the router.
there you have your issue: you are sharing your files over WLAN...
(2014-05-15, 07:23)wsnipex Wrote: there you have your issue: you are sharing your files over WLAN...

Really? I see people with Raspberry Pi's and such with wireless connection to watch their media. And my connection is pretty strong.

I'll see if I can get another Logfile again tonight. I watched a bunch of tv shows last night and couldn't get anything to freeze up again.
I belived the problem is now solved.

I took your advice and wired my Win 7 computer instead of using the wireless card.
I watched a bunch of videos on it the other night and it didnt miss a beat.

Thanks for the help and I'll let everyone know if the problem comes back.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 14.04 XBMC Video Problem0