Nightmare Trying to Work with MySQL (and feedback on the Wiki guide)
Thumbs Down 
Oh my god this is frustrating!!!! I am an experienced and qualified MS IT engineer (MCSA). I have looked at the wiki and other guides (http://www.howtogeek.com/75535/how-to-sy...with-xbmc/). I have followed the instructions repeatedly on different machines (phys and virtual), yet I have found the guides and advice to be really lacking and no help for users trying to troublshoot issues themselves, other than the forum.

The most annoying problem as far as i am concerned is that there does not appear to be *any feedback of information whatsoever* from XBMC to indicate whether it is trying to/successfully connected to using a MySQL DB. I would expect that if there is a problem, that perhaps a message or something might appear in XBMC?? Wouldn't that be useful??

The log file shows that the advancedsettings.xml is being successfully parsed:
Code:
NOTICE: Contents of special://profile/advancedsettings.xml are...
But any changes to library settings and downloading meta data from the internet makes no difference to the size of the MySQL DB folder/file structure. XBMC is quite clearly NOT connecting to the DB.

For info, i have no firewall on the server running MySQL, the user/pw xbmc/xbmc has been created, with grant all to *.*.

So it this point it seems that every version of XBMC i have tried (12.2, 12.3, 13.0) will quite happily accept these settings yet silently ignore them.

Here is my advancedsettings:
Code:
<advancedsettings>

<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.0.9</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
<name>xbmc_video</name>
</videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.0.9</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
<name>xbmc_music</name>
</musicdatabase>

<videolibrary>
  <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
  <importresumepoint>true</importresumepoint>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

So................

In MySQL console, on running the command show databases, returns nothing ( -> ), so clearly none of the instances of three different versions of XBMC have ever created and DBs in MySQL server. Why?

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling MySQL 5.5 (i was on 5.5.36.0, i have today tried 5.5.37 with the same result).

Any help would be really REALLY appreciated.

Thanks.
Did ya try the XBMC debug log (wiki)?
(2014-05-05, 23:48)Ned Scott Wrote: Did ya try the XBMC debug log (wiki)?

Yes, here are some lines that might be of use to someone...

Code:
22:52:33 T:3164  NOTICE: Running database version xbmc_music46
22:52:33 T:3164  NOTICE: Running database version xbmc_video78

22:52:33 T:5552   DEBUG: Mysql Start transaction
22:52:33 T:5552   DEBUG: Mysql execute: DELETE FROM streamdetails WHERE idFile = 2
22:52:33 T:5552   DEBUG: Mysql execute: INSERT INTO streamdetails (idFile, iStreamType, strVideoCodec, fVideoAspect, iVideoWidth, iVideoHeight, iVideoDuration, strStereoMode) VALUES (2,0,'h264',2.330097,1920,824,6757,'')
22:52:33 T:5552   DEBUG: Mysql execute: INSERT INTO streamdetails (idFile, iStreamType, strAudioCodec, iAudioChannels, strAudioLanguage) VALUES (2,1,'dca',6,'eng')
22:52:33 T:5552   DEBUG: Mysql execute: INSERT INTO streamdetails (idFile, iStreamType, strSubtitleLanguage) VALUES (2,2,'nor')
22:52:33 T:5552   DEBUG: Mysql execute: update movie set c11=6757 where idFile=2 and c11=''
22:52:33 T:5552   DEBUG: Mysql execute: update episode set c09=6757 where idFile=2 and c09=''
22:52:33 T:5552   DEBUG: Mysql execute: update musicvideo set c04=6757 where idFile=2 and c04=''
22:52:33 T:5552   DEBUG: Mysql commit transaction

To reiterate, there are NO DBs at all on MySQL server. Nothing showing when i run show databases, not even any built in ones.

As for the debug log, clearly shows connecting to the MySQL server without issue.

There appears to be little or no error checking by XBMC regarding the DB it is connecting to. Not impressive.
Hi,

try to remove <name> tag from advancedsettings.xml

something like this :
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.110</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.110</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</musicdatabase>
Quote:To reiterate, there are NO DBs at all on MySQL server. Nothing showing when i run show databases, not even any built in ones.

So you have a bigger issue right, show databases should give at least a few standard mysql tables.

e.g. here's mine:
Code:
mysql> show databases;
+--------------------+
| Database           |
+--------------------+
| information_schema |
| argustv            |
| mysql              |
| performance_schema |
| phpmyadmin         |
| xbmcmusic46        |
| xbmcmusic_kids32   |
| xbmcmusic_kids46   |
| xbmcvideo75        |
| xbmcvideo78        |
| xbmcvideo_kids75   |
| xbmcvideo_kids78   |
+--------------------+
12 rows in set (0.01 sec)

you should have at least mysql, and the two _schema ones. If you're not seeing those at least with show databases; then something is very wrong and not with xbmc.

(note I have dbs for two profile, and still have my frodo DBs in place, so you shouldn't be seeing as many of those in a default setup of course!)
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Thanks for replies, yes this currently seems to be a MySQL issue, although I stand by the comments that there is insufficient reporting by XBMC over the connection, successful or otherwise, to a MySQL DB.
I know virtually nothing about this system, and only ran into this thread because I'm having the same problem, and was searching for a solution. That said, my problem with the mysql command line had a very simple solution. Command line mysql requires a semi-colon at the end of the command, and does NOT show an error if you don't include it. It just shows the prompt. Anyone who winds up here searching for an answer to that mysql problem, please try that first. The command line is not as friendly as phpmyadmin or mydqladmin.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nightmare Trying to Work with MySQL (and feedback on the Wiki guide)1