What is the BEST device for running xbmc?
I was just recently introduced to the world of xbmc. I (naively) bought my first media player called Digistream (you probably never heard of it). It is a pretty decent box but runs a little slow. I have been researching the wide varieties of devices available to run xbmc on and I am wondering which box is the best one out there to run xbmc FAST and SMOOTHLY (under $200). I want the device to be able to load an add-on or a list of movies FAST! Below is the list of what seems to be the best devices from what I have researched. However, I am not limited to only these devices (under $200!). I AM OPEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS! Please comment with a device that you would recommend, as well as a couple pro's and con's about the box and why you like it. THANKS!!

So far it seems like the top candidates for me would be:
- jailbroken Apple TV 2
- Minix Neo x7
- Ouya
- Intel NUC (BOXDCCP847DYE)
- Intel NUC (i3-3217UDC3217BY)
Intel NUC kit DN2820FYKH (soon DN2830)

Pros:
Cheap. Fast. Small. Green. Quiet.
Build in IR, BT and WiFi.
Supports OpenELEC, Linux, Win7, 8.0 and 8.1 (and Android).
Suspend/wake and power off/on with remote.

Cons:
Not as fast as other more expensive NUC's e.g. i3
Not fast enough for certain deinterlacing methods

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-05-09, 12:20)xbs08 Wrote: Intel NUC kit DN2820FYKH (soon DN2830)

Pros:
Cheap. Fast. Small. Green. Quiet.
Build in IR, BT and WiFi.
Supports OpenELEC, Linux, Win7, 8.0 and 8.1 (and Android).
Suspend/wake and power off/on with remote.

Cons:
Not as fast as other more expensive NUC's e.g. i3
Not fast enough for certain deinterlacing methods

Would you recommend this box over the NUC i3-3217UDC3217BY which does include the i3 processor?
For my specific use, yes.

You realize that you'll need an ethernet adapter for that NUC because it doesn't have a ethernet port?

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-05-09, 12:34)xbs08 Wrote: For my specific use, yes.

You realize that you'll need an ethernet adapter for that NUC because it doesn't have a ethernet port?

I plan to be using wi-fi to connect to the internet.. but why do you prefer that model over the i3 model? wouldn't the i3 processor make it much faster?
Yes, I think it would.

Mainly:
Build in ethernet.
Build in IR receiver.
Lower power consumption.

For me the DN2820FYKH is fast enough.

Read both NUC threads decide what's best for you Smile

Usefull info here.

what is the best device??
You want the Haswell model of NUC i3, not the older version.

Why you ask?
IR, USB3, Ethernet and most important Intel Graphics HD 4400, atleast if you´re going to watch anything in 23.976...

If you want CEC go for the Haswell i5.

If you go for DN2820FYKH you can get in problem if you want to stream material from internet that can't be hardware accelerated by the GPU.
(2014-06-03, 01:08)kaffekask Wrote: If you want CEC go for the Haswell i5.

Does the Haswell i5 NUC come with CEC out of the box?
I just installed the-hydra XBMC Gotham Linux Firmware on my XIOS DS and its amazing

My xios now supports and pass through all HD audio, 1080p video, boots directly to xbmc,...

I recommend Xios DS + the-hydra , its the best you can get for under 100$
Proud xbmp/xbmc/kodi user since early days of 1st gen xbox

(2014-06-03, 07:59)papampi Wrote: I just installed the-hydra XBMC Gotham Linux Firmware on my XIOS DS and its amazing

My xios now supports and pass through all HD audio, 1080p video, boots directly to xbmc,...

It doesn't support HD audio passthrough. A software update of any kind can't enable that on the existing hardware.
but how come when I tested many files and formats last night with my Pioneer AV Reciever,
it shows DTS, DTS HD and THX

have you tested and installed the-hydra ?
I will post screen shot of its audio setting when I get home

(2014-06-03, 09:49)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-06-03, 07:59)papampi Wrote: I just installed the-hydra XBMC Gotham Linux Firmware on my XIOS DS and its amazing

It doesn't support HD audio passthrough. A software update of any kind can't enable that on the existing hardware.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the Pivos was always able to do HD Passthru. Didn't they run into licencing issues similar to Ouya. I am pretty sure the Pivos I had provided Passthru once Linux was installed on it. Even so it was the slowest box I ever owned and it didn't take long to trade up to a faster model. At this point you can purchase Quad Core Android models in the $100 range so buying a single core unit like the Pivos at the same price makes no sense at all.
These are screen shots of my XIOS audio settings :

(2014-06-03, 14:32)Packetcrypt Wrote: Correct me if I am wrong but I think the Pivos was always able to do HD Passthru. Didn't they run into licencing issues similar to Ouya. I am pretty sure the Pivos I had provided Passthru once Linux was installed on it. Even so it was the slowest box I ever owned and it didn't take long to trade up to a faster model. At this point you can purchase Quad Core Android models in the $100 range so buying a single core unit like the Pivos at the same price makes no sense at all.
I already own a S89 Tronsmart quad core but as we all know android wont pass through HD audio it only has DD (AC3) and DTS
so for now I'm using my xios and openelec on raspberry pi

(2014-06-03, 14:32)Packetcrypt Wrote: Correct me if I am wrong but I think the Pivos was always able to do HD Passthru. Didn't they run into licencing issues similar to Ouya. I am pretty sure the Pivos I had provided Passthru once Linux was installed on it. Even so it was the slowest box I ever owned and it didn't take long to trade up to a faster model. At this point you can purchase Quad Core Android models in the $100 range so buying a single core unit like the Pivos at the same price makes no sense at all.

Passthrough had nothing to do with licensing issues. Software decoding is where the licensing issues came into play, and that only affected OUYA's store version of XBMC.

(2014-06-03, 15:13)papampi Wrote: These are screen shots of my XIOS audio settings :

Everything I've read says that the XIOS doesn't do HD audio passthrough, just AC3 and DTS. The options can show up in XBMC, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will work. However, I cannot explain why your audio receiver would show the light for HD audio, so perhaps I am wrong after all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the BEST device for running xbmc?0