freezing upon exit to Ubuntu desktop
I'm terribly sorry for starting a new thread, as search already returns bunch of complaints with the same issue. But I couldn't find definitive solution or workaround in returned results.

So, I started from scratch: installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, installed xmbs from xbmc.org downloads section. In Ubuntu settings, added xbmc-standalone as the only startup program. Everything works fine, until I'm trying to get back to desktop using "exit". Then it usually freezes. Sometimes it works, but rarely.
One little detail: I'm not sure whether it was freezing right after fresh Ubuntu installation. I think exit worked fine a few times, but fresh Ubuntu suggested me to install bunch of updates, which I did, and after this "exit" freezes almost always.

I saw many other users were/are having similar issue. So no single fix recipe?
Thanks.
Disable the Version Check Service. It will freeze once more after having that done, but should work afterwards.

Also post a debug log if it's running at all.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks, will try and report back!
Reporting back: I don't have Version Check Service in XBMC. If it is an addon, then I haven't installed it.
Adding report log for exit freeze session.
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=197566

This crash is on fresh 12.04 LTS install and fresh xbmc install with only "XBMC log uploader" addon.
Looking forward for help. Hopefully, debug log contains anything valuable.
Go to Enabled Addons -> Services and turn off version check addon.
It is there by default I think. So you did not have to install it.
Thanks a lot, it solved the problem!
Smile 
Hi all,
You will see by today’s date sometime has passed since the advice on freezing when you exit Kodi. Other factors have changed as well. I am using Ubuntu 14.04 and I am using Kodi-16.1. I encountered the same problem with the program freezing on exiting Kodi. I tried all the things that others tried without success until I took Fritech's advice and switched off version check. After doing so I logged out and the system froze. I then reopened the program and exited again, this time it worked! Many thanks to you all for the help.
Thank you roanantelope. I am using Kodi 16.1 with Linux Mint 18 (based on Ubuntu 16.04) and was having the same issue of Kodi freezing on exit. Disabling Version Check fixed it for me as well. I did not have to force close and restart, as soon as I disabled Version Check and clicked Exit, it closed right away.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
freezing upon exit to Ubuntu desktop0