Number of (Audio) Channels missing from Gotham ATV2
I am either blind or crazy cause I cannot find the number of channels option in the ATV2 Gotham settings. According to the Wiki there should be such option (although the screen shot on the wiki audio page does not show it). I've tried all levels of settings and have not located it. Please help.

Cheers.
It depends on the audio device selected and the audio devices connected to the box when XBMC starts up. I've actually been meaning to note this since I just replaced the screen shot the other day and noticed that myself :)

You should be able to change the audio device and see additional options show up. If not, let us know.
Hi Guys

Thank you to everyone who works on XBMC appreciate the effort and the new release !

I'm running ATV2 / Gotham (clean install) and in the audio output screen of system settings neither "Audio Output Device" or "Number of Channels" is displayed (even in expert mode)

The uppermost settings item on the page for me is "output configuration"

Is this by design or a bug?

cheers

Wazzac
For atv2 it should be correct. There is only one output device (so we don't show it as there is no choice anyway). Also there is only stereo mode (2.0 channels) - so nothing to select either. If you want to have 5.1 sound you can only select passthrough and enable dts and ac3 support which will give you 5.1 sound for those formats.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
No PCM options on ATV2?
No - it only supports 2.0 pcm channels. (same for all ios devices)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Gotcha
Thanks for the heads up Memphiz.

While I am fairly tech savvy and have been using computers for 30 years I'm still figuring out the world of surround sound and various encodings etc.

The core issue I was trying to resolve is that a 5.1 flac audio file I have stutters in xbmc and I'm not sure why..... however I assume it may be because the encoding is not supported - my receiver does not light up and tell me that it is getting a surround input when it plays.

cheers

Wazzac
playing 5.1 flac with surround sound is only possible with re-encoding it to ac3 or send it via multichannel pcm. As the latter is not possible on ATV2 (as said it only supports 2 channel pcm) the only solution is to decode the 5.1 channels from the flac - re-encode it to AC3 (which is 5.1 encoded into 2 pcm channels) and feed it to the amp. You should be able to set this up by having another look into the audio settings - there is an "AC3 transcode" option. It should work but it might aswell be a problem of to low power on the atv2. If this is the case the only solution is to disable ac3 transcode and let xbmc try to decode/downmix to 2.0 stereo. (which also might not work because of missing power in the atv2).
Thanks again for the very helpful explanation. The ATV2 indeed tanked out when I checked transcode - it did however trip my receiver into surround mode... so my issue is explained if not resolved and I have learnt a thing or 2 about ATV2 limitations.

I may have to get a fire TV to play with if that has more processing power.

Thanks again for your assistance as well as for your efforts in developing XBMC

Cheers

Wazza
With pre-Gotham releases it was recommended to use the optical output, but that option isn't there anymore. Are there any optimization recommendations for Gotham?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Number of (Audio) Channels missing from Gotham ATV20