Req Install Repository/Add-Ons via HTTP
Would it be possible to install repositories/add-ons over HTTP links? That would be much easier than to use the file browser for many amateurs. There are, after all, many developers prefer to use their own repository or it could be possible to allow external repositories in XBMC's official repo what would also help a lot instead of add-ons only. (edit: not allowed)

What do you think?
// GitHub // Repository

// USTV VoD (Video-on-Demand) / World News Live / MRT Play
how would you enter the link url in XBMC?
there will be no external repo allowed inside official repo.

It's also easier to install from zip than enter 8756 character HTTP link
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-05-24, 20:10)da-anda Wrote: how would you enter the link url in XBMC?
input field?
(2014-05-24, 20:14)Martijn Wrote: there will be no external repo allowed inside official repo.

It's also easier to install from zip than enter 8756 character HTTP link
o.k. too bad, though I do not understand.

Could be (hello short links). But there are now different devices on which XBMC is running, not just Win, OSX or Linux. e.g. AppleTV, FireTV or customs. This could save many users a detour, to download the file first, then transfer and install it. For most it already fails during the transfer process.
// GitHub // Repository

why we don't allow third-party repos:

now we check out all addons and if ok they get added. same could be done for repos of course. HOWEVER after the repo is added the developer could start adding addons which we would never allow or could e harmful. Sure we could start checking out all those repos every day what happens in them which takes a lot of time i rather spend watching a movie or whatever. This is the reason why we don't want that. There is no control over what gets added in those other repos.
I can point to at least one repo that started with a few addons and after a while became a total mess. Sure there are honest devs but as always there only has to be one bad one.

Now it's the user's own responsibility what repos he adds.
I don't really want to start a discussion about privacy or laws, but like you said, it's the user's own responsibility what repos he adds.

But back to topic.
// GitHub // Repository

Isn't this already possible? Some of the bootleg sites (that I won't mention) do this, as well as the legitimate Flirc add-on. Adding the HTTP directory as a file source in the file manager (wiki) allows XBMC to see that location just as if it were on your local computer.

I basically do this for SMB shares, so I can drop zips into an easily accessible SMB share and then install it on any one of my XBMC boxes without having to download it "manually" first or grab a USB drive.
It's not already possible like I suggest Undecided. Sure I could handle it via file manager, but not each dev has a file server.
Quote:Go to Settings - Add-Ons - Install from zip file via HTTP () - Input File (enter short link)
// GitHub // Repository

If the dev doesn't have an HTTP server then how are you going to install the zip file from an HTTP link? What I'm describing takes a zip file from the internet (on an HTTP server) and directly installs the add-on from that zip file. This method just has two steps (first enter directory, then select zip file) instead of one step. If the two steps are possible then making it into one step is probably not too far off, which is what I was getting at.

What would be a killer feature would be some kind of web browser extension or URL handler that allowed someone to install an add-on from a web link, outside of XBMC (assuming that is turned on, since it would be off for security reasons and have some authentication method). That's an idea that has been kicked around might hopefully happen one day (it would be great for our add-on showcase website at http://addons.xbmc.org ).
there could be several ways to solve this: either through a file (containing the url) that can be assosciated with XBMC, or through custom uri handlers:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/...s.85).aspx
(windows example)

Basicly you could register xbmc:// as a system uri handler when installing XBMC and provide the necessarry information in the uri in order to have XBMC do the stuff it needs to do when a user clicks on a repo/addon in the webbrowser.
(2014-05-25, 11:07)Ned Scott Wrote: If the dev doesn't have an HTTP server then how are you going to install the zip file from an HTTP link? What I'm describing takes a zip file from the internet (on an HTTP server) and directly installs the add-on from that zip file. This method just has two steps (first enter directory, then select zip file) instead of one step. If the two steps are possible then making it into one step is probably not too far off, which is what I was getting at.

What would be a killer feature would be some kind of web browser extension or URL handler that allowed someone to install an add-on from a web link, outside of XBMC (assuming that is turned on, since it would be off for security reasons and have some authentication method). That's an idea that has been kicked around might hopefully happen one day (it would be great for our add-on showcase website at http://addons.xbmc.org ).
Oh c'mon! Ever heard about Dropbox, GitHub, Google Code etc.? I have really nice other ideas to integrate such install systems into xbmc but I don't want to share due your piracy laws situation in your country! The whole community lives of the developers and you do not want to compromise, easier to install third-party repo's?

I give up! I'm going to set up a "fusion like stuff" (no one wants to mention name). Next time, users ask me how to install repo's I point them directly to wiki Wink not my problem users are too dumb to use a system.
(2014-05-25, 11:20)texaco Wrote: there could be several ways to solve this: either through a file (containing the url) that can be assosciated with XBMC, or through custom uri handlers:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/...s.85).aspx
(windows example)

Basicly you could register xbmc:// as a system uri handler when installing XBMC and provide the necessarry information in the uri in order to have XBMC do the stuff it needs to do when a user clicks on a repo/addon in the webbrowser.
Yeah not bad, but still not solving their piracy bell! I'd like to see a way which is the responsibility of the user.
// GitHub // Repository

Seriously. How easy can it be. Download a zip file and install it. It's a ONE TIME exercise. So what if it maybe takes 5 minutes instead of 4.
Besides Google Play store works exactly the same. If its not in their "repo" you even need to enable for even being able to install third-party apps. After you still have to download the APK and manually install it.

You are being a bit hypocrite here. You won't even want to share the idea or whatever it may be. However if it is for piracy reasons alone i doubt any dev wants anything to do with it. IF for other reasons, let's hear them.

If it is for "legal" addons, why don't they get added to XBMC repo to start with. And don't give me the "it's to much work reason". I have heard that plenty of times and it's total bull. Only sane reason would be for beta testing addons for small audience before releasing to the masses.

Side note:
Dropbox is useless when you will have a certain amount of users as it will simply block traffic.
(2014-05-25, 12:44)moneymaker Wrote:
(2014-05-25, 11:07)Ned Scott Wrote: If the dev doesn't have an HTTP server then how are you going to install the zip file from an HTTP link? What I'm describing takes a zip file from the internet (on an HTTP server) and directly installs the add-on from that zip file. This method just has two steps (first enter directory, then select zip file) instead of one step. If the two steps are possible then making it into one step is probably not too far off, which is what I was getting at.

Oh c'mon! Ever heard about Dropbox, GitHub, Google Code etc.? I have really nice other ideas to integrate such install systems into xbmc but I don't want to share due your piracy laws situation in your country! The whole community lives of the developers and you do not want to compromise, easier to install third-party repo's?

I give up! I'm going to set up a "fusion like stuff" (no one wants to mention name). Next time, users ask me how to install repo's I point them directly to wiki Wink not my problem users are too dumb to use a system.

What the heck are you talking about? None of what I'm saying has anything to do with being anti-piracy. I'm all for making add-ons easier to install even if they're not in the xbmc.org repo. Seriously, read my posts again. I'm agreeing with you, I like the idea, and XBMC isn't far off from having such abilities.
(2014-05-25, 13:12)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-05-25, 12:44)moneymaker Wrote:

What the heck are you talking about? None of what I'm saying has anything to do with being anti-piracy. I'm all for making add-ons easier to install even if they're not in the xbmc.org repo. Seriously, read my posts again. I'm agreeing with you, I like the idea, and XBMC isn't far off from having such abilities.

I have to agree with this comment, xbmc already lets you browse and read about addons outside of xbmc.. the next logical step would be to have links on that same webpage to automatically install the addon in xbmc.

Theres an elephant in the room and thats how addons are browsed and installed today. It works but we must be honest and say that it can be done better and more user friendly.
Dear Martjin,

it's easy for myself following these steps. Imagine someone don't even know how to start a terminal and you want them to explain how to put files into their systems hard drive? Hmm ...

Woho, don't start talking about a lobby store like Google. Your are OpenSource, not a money laundry machine.

Hypocrite? Naw, not even a bit Rofl. I smell some hierarchy. An idea could be to build up a own XBMC Git GUI for devs, but like you already said. If you start adding a repo add-on to xbmc's official repo someone might mess it up one day or use piracy add-ons. I don't want to host them, you don't want to host them, so why do we not leave the responsibility to users? No one wants to get in trouble of some dev's might mess it up. What is not allowed in your country, is welcome in others. But I don't want to get responsible for it.

XBMC's repo might be easy to handle like GitHub but it doesn't allow me to look behind closed doors. More than one dev is not allow to update add-ons. But GitHub can manage groups of devs. Don't get me wrong, but do someone proof the updates via git each add-on?

Adding a link is a one way solution. Where do you get so much steps out of it? I do not understand why this might be so hard to type in a link Huh I browse the third-party wiki, type in short link in XBMC's GUI, voilà!

A yes or no would be totally enough. Or are there any interests kinda like that way?
// GitHub // Repository

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install Repository/Add-Ons via HTTP0