Solved XBMC 13.x crashes/restarts on any video playback
I'm running an older computer (HP-dc5100):
3ghz dual core P4
512RAM
integrated Intel graphics chipset (I'll get specific later).
XBMCbuntu fresh install (Updated to 13.1)
I know the specs are lacking, but it should work fine as an HTPC.
xbmc.log
crashlog

Now, for the details: Any video that I've tried to play crashes XBMC, which immediately restarts. After much googling and forum searching I came across different settings people have been changing to remedy this situation (Settings>Video>RenderMethod) and I've disabled, enabled and 'reset to default' everything I could find. The only thing I can't change was the amount of RAm allocated to the graphics card. Apparently this BIOS locks that setting.
Originally started with videos over SMB, copying them to internal HDD or USB drive doesn't appear to help. MP3's do play (even over SMB) Which I originally checked because of the PulseAudio error in the crashlog, line 291.

Nothing I've done or changed has made anything work. It has never played even a single video and doesn't make sound either. Sorry if this exact problem has been asked/answered before, but I've run through just about every solution and nothing has helped. Any help would be appreciated.
This sounds a bit beyond my knowledge area, but for the sake of troubleshooting:

Have previous versions of XBMC worked on this same setup? Like XBMC v12?

Have you tried another OS/XBMC distro, like OpenELEC?

I'd also be tempted to try a basic Ubuntu install and see if some other video players have issues. Specifically, ones that will attempt to use hardware video decoding.

That might help isolate some of the issues, but it's mostly a shot in the dark as far as what I know :)
This is my first attempt at installing XMBC (outside of the Raspberry Pi's RaspBMC.) I just installed OpenELEC 4.0.4 to give it a shot and it worked, but was much more CPU heavy and Video playback over SMB was jittery. I'm going to try a fresh install of XBMCbuntu without upgrading to 13.1 here in a few minutes. Odd that the crashlog seems to give no real information.
Thanks for the reply!

Edit: Attempting to live boot from USB, see if it even tries.

Live booted fine, XBMC crashes when trying to play a video. Perhaps I'll dig up an older version of XBMCbuntu and see if it works.
And on that note 12.2 runs fine. Sure it has a little trouble streaming 1080p over SMB, but that was expected tbh (Suggestions on a replacement for SMB shares welcome).
Audio and Video work well. Sync was off momentarily (assumed network lag) but it caught up. I'd like to get the newer version running, but for now this will work. Again, any help is much appreciated.
I was wrong. On reboot, it works only with AVI. mkv or mp4 play but slow to a crawl (even with 480p ~80mb files) and never play sound.
Anyone think a cheap video card might fix the issues? Dual core 3GHz should be enough to run the OS and play videos over wired connection, but perhaps its the integrated graphics slowing it down?
Update: I installed Lubuntu 14.04 and the videos play fine over NFS with gstreamer. I installed XBMC from the repos and it crashes, reporting something like "Not enough memory to debug." For now, I'm giving up on XBMC (for this hardware)
Last update: It would appear the issue is with XBMC 13.1 AMD64 (In any repo/distro) installing Lubuntu 32bit and XBMC works well. I'd appreciate a release of XBMCbuntu 13+ for the X86 variety.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 13.x crashes/restarts on any video playback0