Help with Openelec, NUC and MAC OSX setup
Hi All,

Pretty new to XBMC and Linux, etc but after heaps of reading on these forums decided to take the plunge and upgrade to XBMC from an existing PLEX setup.

My setup:
NUC 2820 running OPENELEC on USB (no SSD)
Plugged direct into Samsung Plasma via HDMI
MAC OSX computer with EXT HDD storage where all movies, music, etc are stored.
Ethernet over powerline (i know that this is not ideal, but we are renting and wifi is not strong enough - this has worked well with the Plex setup).
Bigpond ADSl 2+
Thomson Gateway - model TG782T
Samsung 5.1 HTIB

I have managed to update BIOS and install Openelec onto the NUC USB and Openelec appears to be working well.

However I cannot work out a few things and hope that someone will be able to help?? I have searched through the forum and cannot seem to find the answers.. or I find information with many different methods and cannot really understand which 1 i should us.. rookie..

Problems:
1.) How to access the movies, music from the EXT HDD connected to my MAC Computer and by which method - NFS, SMB, etc?
Funny, I can access the content through UnPn which identifies the existing Plex server..

2.) Once this is setup how can I add the content to the library so I can see album art, etc.

3.) Is there a web browser add on available or a method of accessing the internet for browsing?

4.) Also a bit confused about the sound settings.. I have managed to get the sound working, but not sure if it is on the optimum settings..

Appreciate your help?!

Cheers,
Murray
Hey Muzzler,
Is there any reason to keep the external disks on the OSX machine? I run a similar setup to you except I have MythBuntu running on the NUC (cos I want live TV and didn't like OpenElec for that), but I have the external HD on the NUC and then use Netatalk to share the disk to the Macs at home. I also have a second external HD hooked up to the NUC which I share as a networked Time Machine disk...

Happy to have a chat and see if I can help you though

Regards,
Steve
(2014-08-02, 09:15)Muzzler Wrote: 1.) How to access the movies, music from the EXT HDD connected to my MAC Computer and by which method - NFS, SMB, etc?
Funny, I can access the content through UnPn which identifies the existing Plex server..

2.) Once this is setup how can I add the content to the library so I can see album art, etc.

3.) Is there a web browser add on available or a method of accessing the internet for browsing?

4.) Also a bit confused about the sound settings.. I have managed to get the sound working, but not sure if it is on the optimum settings..

Appreciate your help?!

Cheers,
Murray

1. Share the disk using NFS.
2. You add the NFS share as a source, and then scan it as you would if it was a local source. See Adding_music_to_the_library (wiki)
3. Not directly no. However there is an addon called advanced launcher http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85724 which will let you run a browser (amongst other things) from inside XBMC.
4. Would need a screenshot of your audio settings and what you are outputting to, to comment on that.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Hi Guys,

Appreciate your response.

Reason the EXT HDD is plugged into the MAC is that I store all our music, movies, docs, etc on it and it lives in our office. I also have PLEX setup on a couple of TVs and Apple devices so would prefer to leave it in the office with the MAC.

I have spent the last 2 hours on this and pulling my hair out.. It might be a bit beyond me.. I'm sure it will be a simple error..

I kept working on SMB, making sure that the sharing was setup correctly on the MAC. I tried to add the network location into XMBC, with the following info:
Protocol - Windows SMB
Server Name - used the IP ADDRESS of the MAC, tried it also with smb://IP ADDRESS..
Shared Folder - used the same description as was setup in the sharing on the MAC (I checked that this folder is shared, by right clicking on the folder - get info and the tick box for Shared Folder is ticked..
Username - used the correct username (again as listed in the USERS section on sharing)
Password - entered password

Keeps coming up "connection timed out"

I've also tried to use the Windows SMB browse instead of add network location. This shows the WORKGROUP folder which I select and there is the NetBIOS name of my MAC and I select and it says ERROR operation not permitted.

I have googled the NFS setup, but it seems to complicated..

I have also tried fresh install, again entering the above settings and cannot get it to work..

Not sure what to do next..

Thanks!
Murray
Sounds like a permissions issue to me. Try dropping the password as a start. I really can't understand why people put passwords on SMB shares on a home network in any case Huh

A debug log (wiki) of you trying to add the share will most likely reveal what is wrong.

NFS is a much better option as it's a lighter protocol and you don't appear to have any windoze boxes, so why use a win sharing system ?

Have a look here http://www.bresink.com/osx/NFSManager.html for a GUI manager for NFS shares.
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with Openelec, NUC and MAC OSX setup0