Restart XBMC through SSH
I run XBMC on Ubuntu, and I want to be able to restart it using SSH when it crashes. I've read instructions on using xinit, but in my case, I'm running an X session for Ubuntu because sometimes I quit XBMC to do other things, such as web browsing, etc. So xinit gives an error:
Code:
Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0

By the way, the reason I want to do this, is I use the iOS XBMC remote app to control the machine. If XBMC has crashed, that app doesn't work. I have an SSH client on my iPhone, so I am currently able to reboot the computer, but it would be faster to just relaunch XBMC.
Then just ssh in and run
Code:
killall xbmc.bin
DISPLAY=0: xbmc &
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
That doesn't work.

Code:
$ DISPLAY=0: xbmc &
[1] 3078
elliott@seedbox:~$ /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
  warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)

** (FEH.py:3079): WARNING **: Command line `dbus-launch --autolaunch=27e666e01268649fcd273adc4e6cfe89 --binary-syntax --close-stderr' exited with non-zero exit status 1: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.\n
Error: unable to open display 0:
FEH.py: cannot connect to X server 0:
Sorry got the order wrong:

Code:
DISPLAY=:0 xbmc &

Shouldn't type this stuff on my phone.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Great, that works. It also makes my init.d startup script work.
(2014-08-04, 05:10)nickr Wrote: Sorry got the order wrong:

Code:
DISPLAY=:0 xbmc &

Shouldn't type this stuff on my phone.

Doesn't work for me:

"X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting."
´
Apparently Kodi/XBMC needs the xserver started first. It works with startx on the console, but not via ssh. Ideas on how to launch the xserver via ssh?
Does your distro (you haven't told us what it is) not start X on bootup via a service?
You can try using xinit like so:

/usr/bin/xinit /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc xbmc -- /usr/bin/X :0
(2015-01-21, 20:57)nickr Wrote: Does your distro (you haven't told us what it is) not start X on bootup via a service?

Oh, sorry.

I use a minimal Ubuntu 14.04 without any X related stuff coming up during boot. After booting, I autologin with rungetty, startx on tty1 using a command in .bash_profile and I start Kodi with an entry in .xinitrc.

And now I want the ability to restart Kodi via ssh on tty1.
So if X is running then the command line above should work. Or does killing kodi also kill X?
(2015-01-22, 03:30)nickr Wrote: So if X is running then the command line above should work. Or does killing kodi also kill X?

Yes, when I send the command "System.Quit" to Kodi, also X quits.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Restart XBMC through SSH0