CEC not working on new TV
Sorry if this has been answered, but i have been looking for an answer for this all day!!

Got a new tv, panasonic viera TX-50a400b to replace an older one, the old tv had cec controls working out of the box, no mapping or anything. New TV goes in place, only has the raspbmc hdmi connected. apparently it has CEC functions.

No controls work, or even wake the tv when it dims on xbmc. I have run cec-client over ssh and it sees when the tv turns on and off (tv > from standby to on etc), but it doesnt receive any information from any other button presses, not anything...

So i guess my question would be; did i buy a lemon of a TV or is there something i need to do to get this to work.

I have also tried sending tx 40 8e 00 over ssh but got no joy Sad

Whats confusing me is that it does see the on off commands, but nothing else so a signal must be getting through?!

thanks in advance

David
Just a thought, do you have the same Pi setup and just switched TV?
If so, do you have any specific settings in your config.txt, specifically regarding edid?
(2014-09-03, 21:17)miappa Wrote: Just a thought, do you have the same Pi setup and just switched TV?
If so, do you have any specific settings in your config.txt, specifically regarding edid?

I dont think I have ever looked at that file, however it reads

arm_freq=850
core_freq=375
force_turbo=1
disable_overscan=1
gpu_mem=128
start_file=start_x.elf
fixup_file=fixup_x.dat
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1

That last line looks a bit fishy... what do you think, delete it?
I don´t think that line should be a problem but you can try it.
What that does is ignoring CEC on boot, but XBMC takes over later anyway.

Stupid question perhaps, but did you have your Pi active while you switch to your new TV?
If so, reboot while your TV is on.

A debug log might also show something.

Edit: Also (basic stuff here, but you never know), see to that you choose/activate whatever CEC on your TV as some TV´s does not activate it the first time automatically.
On older Viera´s you can choose device in Viera Link.
I did initially leave the Pi on, but restarted since as i also came to that conclusion.. changed the 1 to a 0 on that line for no difference unfortunately.

I ran a debug but its not really giving me anything cec specific, just:

16:52:29 T:3037786112 NOTICE: Register - new cec device registered on cec->RPI: CEC Adapter (2708:1001)
16:52:29 T:2960127040 NOTICE: Thread CECAdapter start, auto delete: false
16:52:29 T:2951738432 NOTICE: Thread PeripBusCEC start, auto delete: false
16:52:29 T:2926572608 NOTICE: Thread PeripBusUSBUdev start, auto delete: false
16:52:30 T:3037786112 NOTICE: Raspberry PI firmware version: Jul 23 2014 21:08:37
Copyright © 2012 Broadcom
version 174cdd77563b98023955a94cb8d072d9c7095d6f (clean) (release)

on CEC-Client over SSH i get a few lines along:

DEBUG: [ 806] << Recorder 1 (1) -> TV (0): POLL
TRAFFIC: [ 806] << 10
DEBUG: [ 896] command 'POLL' was not acked by the controller
TRAFFIC: [ 896] << 10
DEBUG: [ 987] command 'POLL' was not acked by the controller
DEBUG: [ 987] >> POLL not sent
DEBUG: [ 987] not sending command 'set osd name': destination device 'TV' marked as not present
DEBUG: [ 988] << requesting power status of 'TV' (0)
DEBUG: [ 988] << Recorder 1 (1) -> TV (0): POLL
TRAFFIC: [ 988] << 10
DEBUG: [ 1078] command 'POLL' was not acked by the controller
TRAFFIC: [ 1078] << 10
DEBUG: [ 1169] command 'POLL' was not acked by the controller
DEBUG: [ 1169] >> POLL not sent
DEBUG: [ 1169] not sending command 'give device power status': destination device 'TV' marked as not present
waiting for input
Going to the Viera Link settings in your TV settings menu, is the pi even seen there?
Unless I'm missing something this model doesn't have vieralink?
(2014-09-03, 22:31)DLingard89 Wrote: Unless I'm missing something this model doesn't have vieralink?

Setup -> Link settings -> CEC -> ON See http://cdn.cnetcontent.com/fc/c5/fcc55b8...9186bb.pdf, page 20.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Ah didn't realise that's what it was called - that's on, could you imagine haha
Sorry, Panasonic initially called cec Viera link in earlier models.

I suggest rebooting the pi while ensuring that the tv is on and set to the proper input...
Alternatively, use tvservice command to pull the edid and enable that in config.txt

I can provide a link to instructions to do so shortly, on mobile ATM...

http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Which_values...monitor.3F

Code:
sudo tvservice -d /boot/edid.dat

From your post history, appears you are running Raspbmc, add hdmi_edid_file=1 to config.txt via Raspbmc Settings addon then agree to reboot when prompted.
Good morning, yes its a raspbmc unit.

Have added the line to the config over ssh, and run the tvservice script, but has not made any difference Sad sad times!
If you've added the line to config via ssh, Raspbmc has a habit of reverting any changes to config.txt at reboot time, hence the reason I advised to add it via Raspbmc Settings addon. Confirm that the line is still present in config.txt after reboot? And also confirm that edid.dat file is now present in /boot.
Hi,

I can confirm this, the changes were stored and the file is present

David
it often is in the hdmi cable cec pin 13 which does not work well
thanks tomtmclub, ill change it over just to be sure, but it was working before changing tvs (same cable used). Interestingly turning the pi on or off does turn the TV on and off too, and gives an output in cec-client, so the communication is being made - albeit light, but this all says to me it has to be software-side

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CEC not working on new TV0