Help for first htpc
Hello Forum, first of all sorry for my english, i'm here to ask you some suggestions for my first htpc. Currently, i'm using an acer 725 (C-70) with 4gb of memory connected to my tv configured for xbmc, and download station for emule and vuze. I'm using Windows 8.1 64bit as os (Windows is mandatory for my usual tasks). The performance are acceptable, but not great, and sometimes video at 1080 stutters... i suppose the main problem is the cpu very sluggish despite hw acceleration is enabled.
Now i'd like to build/buy a better solution and i'm considering the following choices:

- ZOTAC ZBOX BI320 2957U tdp 15.0 2/2 Haswell
- Zotac ZBOX CI320 n2930 tdp 7.5 4/4 baytrail
- Gigabyte GB-BXBT-2807 n2807 tdp 4.3 2/2 Haswell
- Custom build Asrock Q1900DC-ITX J1900 tdp 10.0 4/4 Cedartrail

My goal is to use a silent and power efficient htpc for the activities explained above, i'm going to install an ssd like crucial m550 and 4 or 8 gb of ram. If you prefer to suggest me a better solution, i'm ready to listen, my budget is about 250 euro (m550 and 4gb so-dimm are already in my hands).
I'd like a build with AMD i'm waiting a review for Zotac ZBOX CA320, i prefer cpu with a tdp not greater than 15w, for this reason i'm not considering Amd 5350 builds.
Think the N2807 is Baytrail not Haswell?
If you're up for building your own htpc then the amd a1 socket is offering great performance at a reasonable price. The athlon 5350 cpu is absolutely amazing for the price.
I just completed a budget build for a bedroom box using an AMD A6 with a cheap Gigabyte A55M-E33 booting XBMCBUNTU to a 32GB SanDisk Ready Cache. Boot time is around 10 seconds. My library is on a separate box running mysql...I originally had issues using a Belkin USB N300. I had to delay the startup to fix it but after installing a TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 it solved all my issues. It's a silent build that's powerful enough to run XBMC with Aeon MQ and 1080p flawlessly.
(2014-09-21, 21:29)vashrulez Wrote: - Custom build Asrock Q1900DC-ITX J1900 tdp 10.0 4/4 Cedartrail

Correction: Q1900 is J1900 CPU which is Bay Trail not Cedar Trail.

The 2957U is the best CPU and GPU in the list.

(2014-09-22, 00:29)noggin Wrote: Think the N2807 is Baytrail not Haswell?

Yes, it's Bay Trail: http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/5...Trail#@All
Hello Dougie Fresh,

Could you explain me why 2957u it's considered better than J1900 or N2930 ? for the passmark benchmark it results slower with an higher TDP.

Thank you
(2014-09-22, 16:59)vashrulez Wrote: Could you explain me why 2957u it's considered better than J1900 or N2930 ? for the passmark benchmark it results slower with an higher TDP.

Our live would be so much easier if HTPC performance were dictated by benchmarks. Unfortunately, it's irrelevant.

- The GPU in the 2957U has 10EUs vs. the 4EUs in the J1900 so the 2957U can use more powerful de-interlacing algorithms.
- The GPU in the 2957U has PAP support while the J1900 does not so the 2957U is able to support HD audio bitstreaming in Windows (no for J1900).
- Single-core performance on the 2957U is higher than the J1900 (since you mention Passmark 822 vs 535 -- either will run XBMC just fine though).

I am also not completely sold that all Bay Trail processor since their GPU is based on Ivy Bridge and not Haswell have fixed the 24p issue.

The big advantage the J1900 has over the 2957U is that for DIY'ers the J1900 can actually be found in a mini-ITX motherboard whereas the 295xU cannot.
thank you Dougie Fresh i get the point. In this case would be a better choice going to build an AMD 5350 ? My TDP will be increased but i can get an htpc with mini itx board and i suppose will be a better solution for graphics integrated. My main doubt is for the noise generated by stock fan related to amd solution, maybe a good case will help... but i have no idea about which case to buy, any suggestion with a complete custom build will be appreciated.
A last question, a zotac solution with 2957U will be a nice choice for my task? i know i'll lose great chaces in upgrading in buying a "ready to go" solution.
My opinion is biased because I am a DIY'er and always believe I can build myself a better quality machine than something off-the-shelf. I also feel better than I can support it myself and be able to replace any parts that go bad. Therefore, that being said, I would be inclined to say yes to the AMD 5350 over the off-the-shelf choices. IMHO.

For case choices, it matters very much where you live -- USA or Europe or Asia/Pacific. With regard to fan, even with the small off-the-shelf mini systems, fan noise can be a problem. I've only built one AMD Kabini system so far and I didn't find the fan to be very loud. Power consumption didn't need more than the basic 60W AC adapter when paired with 4GB and an SSD.

If you want to say where you're located I (and others) can give case suggestions. I like the Realan E-i5 with 60W AC adapter for AMD Kabini (5350). The case has different names in different locations.
I live in europe, and i hate noise Smile. For me it's not a trouble to build an htpc, (my old desktop was assembled by me). I'm oriented with a build a SSD disk for system, i'll attach also an external drive (already in my end for p2p task). 4gb or 8gb is not a problem, i prefer to go with only one stick, if i remember well kabini is not supporting dual channel.
The case is my big doubt... i prefer something with the possibility to use dvd/bluray player. It's should not too big if possible obv. Thank you again for your suggestions.
If you can find this case it's a very nice one for building mini-ITX PCs: http://inter-tech.de/index.php?option=co...37&lang=en

If you want something more audio-visual size then Silverstone makes some nice cases lime the Milo ML03 and ML04.
i confirm you that i'm able to find it at 88 euro including shipping and 84w psu, from computeruniverse.de. I preferer a case like this one, Milo series is too large, it won't suit under my tv.
Antec isk series is also an option although not as good looking.
I'm personally not noticing the stock cpucooler inside node 304
(2014-09-22, 22:49)vashrulez Wrote: i confirm you that i'm able to find it at 88 euro including shipping and 84w psu, from computeruniverse.de. I preferer a case like this one, Milo series is too large, it won't suit under my tv.

That's a good price (about US$113) for that case with the 84W AC adapter. That will be plenty to run the 5350 and later if you decide to upgrade you'll have plenty of AC power.

(2014-09-22, 23:22)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Antec isk series is also an option although not as good looking.
I'm personally not noticing the stock cpucooler inside node 304

I just moved my home server into that Node 304 case and I love it. I had it in a Lian-Li PC-Q08 and I was so tired of having to take the entire hard drive assembly out to swap a single drive. You can't go wrong with Fractal Design anything.
(2014-09-22, 23:57)Dougie Fresh Wrote: You can't go wrong with Fractal Design anything.

+1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help for first htpc0