• 8(current)
Win Error: unable to create application. Exiting
I thought I'd give my two cents on this matter.

Reading though the thread, it appears the problem each time is highlighted as being due to a slow machine. I was having this same issue for the last week, with no notable changes to the set-up.

Recently my N40L has been maxed out by SAB and PAR2 freezing the OS up at every click of a button. I tried all the suggestions throughout the thread, but reluctant to use the release fritsch has been kind enough to keep updated.

But the solution seemed quite apparent by the end of the thread. Reduce your CPU load before starting Kodi. Sure enough it loaded fine.

As I see it, there are a lot of people here loading Kodi from at startup. The most intensive CPU moment. With Kodi comes SAB, SickB, CP etc... Whilst I appreciate placing a -d delay on XBMC might work for some slow systems, the really slow system should be delaying everything else! Get Kodi started, and add a -d 180 second delay to everything else.

As a trial run before delaying everything, try killing every non-essential process in Taskman. Maybe then your audio drivers and network will load in less than the reported 60 seconds! OMG.

I'm not saying this is the solution, but it sounds like the root of the problem.
While it's quite possible your right....
It says to me that Kodi is dependent on some other service it is starting and it needs to do some check to see that these are actually started before it tries to continue on and fail.

By starting those services earlier and running a complete check on them before proceeding to the other parts that require them might solve the issue permanently.

But I have not seen any Kodi Code to speak with any intelligence on this...
I do know the Delays Fritsch has added does the trick, and now that they fixed the crashing issues for Windows, Kodi is again useable.
In my case I did not start Kodi on Startup, but at an idle machine state.
As stated before my issue was temporary, as I had to temporarily switch the system drive out for a slower disk.
Currently, with a fast disk for the system partition, the problem is gone, but the disk activity during startup is still quite high. So I can see slower disks or systems under moderate load still be prone to this error.

Regards,
zy.
For now that issues only affects Windows. No issues on any other OS - is there some virus "on access" scanner running?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Only Microsoft Security Essentials in my case.

Regards,
zy.
Which does on access scanning. Can you disable it for a test?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Unfortunately I don't get the error anymore.
I disabled it, but the heavy HDD usage subjectively remained the same.
Also, keep in mind that it might be related that I have 15+ audio devices on my machine, as I also use it for audio production.

Edit: And no, I will not swap back the slow system disk to debug this. Smile

Regards,
zy.
I've been running every stable version of XBMC for 3+ year, and this is the first time I've come across an issue loading, yet the N40L has remained the same since the day I bought it 2 years ago.

I also have a disc issue, prior to Win8 the issue was unseen: I have an 11Tb system, but the primary disk is a 640gb 6400rpm 2.5" laptop drive. Not ideal at all. But I'm not swapping disks again until an SSD is purchased for it. And that's not on the to-buy-list just yet.
The disk is usually at 100% is SAB (par2) is unwrapping.

But the start-up isn't the issue. Its the OS load. If like me, you're CPU or disk is loaded above 80%, then its likely to fail.

Ideally, it would be good if Kodi could wait until all relevant drivers are loaded. Instead of prompting and error to quit, it could ask to close or continue to wait.
Fritsch, is this something that could theoretically resolve our issue?

I'll certainly check what AV is running. Although tbh, I don't understand what access scanning is.
I've ran into this problem, and the problem comes from when the drive the userdata is on is being utilized at 100% (As windows reads it). Defrag and Virus Scans can cause this.

My solution was to move directory %Appdata%\Kodi to an external device (Flashdrive or External HDD) and mount it to the same location it originated from. (Can also be done via symlink)
Not really - if the time we are waiting is too short, we can fix that in general. But hey, waiting more than 60 seconds until the OS feels ready to start kodi ... is a bit meeeh.

Here is another build based on latest 14.2 branch: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/win3...crease.exe
(2015-03-01, 20:00)isamu.dragon Wrote: I've ran into this problem, and the problem comes from when the drive the userdata is on is being utilized at 100% (As windows reads it).

My solution was to the move directory %Appdata%\Kodi to an external device (Flashdrive or External HDD) and mount it to the same location it originated from. (Can also be done via symlink)

So is that "File Indexer related" or "Virus on demand scanner"?. Does "disable indexing" work for the others here in that topic?
(2015-03-01, 20:01)fritsch Wrote:
(2015-03-01, 20:00)isamu.dragon Wrote: I've ran into this problem, and the problem comes from when the drive the userdata is on is being utilized at 100% (As windows reads it).

My solution was to the move directory %Appdata%\Kodi to an external device (Flashdrive or External HDD) and mount it to the same location it originated from. (Can also be done via symlink)

So is that "File Indexer related" or "Virus on demand scanner"?. Does "disable indexing" work for the others here in that topic?

For me it only did it when I defragged my HDD (automatically at a given time), but moving to the 32GB flashdrive I have had no problems at all in starting Kodi
(2015-03-01, 20:00)fritsch Wrote: Not really - if the time we are waiting is too short, we can fix that in general. But hey, waiting more than 60 seconds until the OS feels ready to start kodi ... is a bit meeeh.

Here is another build based on latest 14.2 branch: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/win3...crease.exe

You probably don't need to wait 60 seconds...But the wait could be minimized with a little wait loop that checks to see if the service needed is running and if not wait 5 sec to retry before proceeding.

If the wait loop detects a wait of more than 60 it kills the entire process and posts the error.
60 is a _max_wait.

If it returns before it -> fine.
Chiming in to say that I've had the same problem with the audio system not initializing in time and therefore getting the unable to create application error.

I tried the KodiSetup-20150301-65fc31c-aeincrease.exe that Fritsch so nicely provided and it worked just fine with that - yay! ;] Matter of fact, in my case it seems that it takes 11 seconds for the audio system to initialize - just barely too slow for the default 10s timeout!

See http://pastebin.com/GKEu0qdk for logs from both the 14.2_beta1 build which times out and Fritsch's extended timeout build.

Since I haven't seen an actual bug report posted here yet, not have I been able to find one in trac, I filed http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/15842 - apologies if my Google-fu was too weak to find an existing ticket for this issue. ;]

Thanks for your work on this so far, Fritsch!
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Error: unable to create application. Exiting0