[Android] FireTV UK Units
Hi All,

I resisted a FTV for a while as I didn't want an import and amazon have not shafted us Brits with the exchange rate for once.

The FTV is out in the UK in a couple of weeks and before I pre-order I wanted to check all would be ok for XBMC.

I plan to use it for XBMC, mainly LAN movie and tv playback (xvid/x264) and emulator games ideally through RCB so everything is in once place.

Couple Questions:
I know that the latest firmware have not been rooted so I will have to sideload XBMC. USB hard drives arent an issue as I will connect it to my LAN, is that the only real 'great' thing about root and xbmc?

Can you boot directly to XBMC? or at least make it easier to open XBMC without having to "settings, apps, (navigate for xbmc) launch xmbc).

What about refresh rates etc, is that anything to be concerned about?
I'm also interested as I pre-ordered one using a free Prime trail for £50.

How does it compare to my current Acer Revo 3700 running OpenELEC?
Quote:...is that the only real 'great' thing about root and xbmc?
Root also allows for a custom XBMC icon on home screen, disabling home menu items you don't want, installing custom ROMs, etc.

Quote:Can you boot directly to XBMC? or at least make it easier to open XBMC without having to "settings, apps, (navigate for xbmc) launch xmbc).
As Fire TV only sleeps and never turns off, even after not using it for a while, a quick press of any button on the remote will bring it right back to the home menu. If you can root, then as I noted above, you can use Classic TV app (or any other app) as the sacrificial app to launch XBMC. Then, replace this app's icon/thumbnail with whatever XBMC icon you want. Instructions are in the wiki, but need root for this. Then, the XBMC icon stays in the home menu at the top under recently used.

Quote:What about refresh rates etc, is that anything to be concerned about?
FTV can't do 24fps for film based content, only 60, at least for U.S. boxes.

Quote:How does it compare to my current Acer Revo 3700 running OpenELEC?
Hard to say; I used a Revo 3700 under Windows a while back and FTV is faster, but under OpenELEC, don't know. XBMC on FTV performs really well. Caveats are no HD audio, no 24fps, no VC-1 playback, and some 1:1 H.264 BD rips in MKV exhibit green pixellated streaking ('The Dark Knight Rises', 'Bedtime Stories', and a couple of others). Same inside ISO or M2TS, no issues.

BTW, this is a good source for rooting and other FTV related info.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
you should also read the Wiki
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
A few corrections here.

(2014-10-09, 11:26)herds Wrote: Can you boot directly to XBMC?

Yes, and you DON'T need root to do this. You can sideload Llama and set it up to boot directly to Kodi/XBMC, As well you can use a sacrificial app (like Classic TV) using Llama. This was being done even before it was possible to root the AFTV.

Quote:What about refresh rates etc, is that anything to be concerned about?

Actually, at least for the US version you can set the AFTV to 720/1080 @ 60Hz or 720/1080 @50Hz. This doesn't seem to have any real ill affect, at least not on 23.976 fps videos with it set to 1080p@60Hz.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I'm in the UK and couldn't wait so purchased US AFTV from ebay some time ago. First off brilliant device imho if I compare to Apple TV2 the speed of the UI is fantastic.

I tried all of the methods of launching xbmc; from the applications menu and using lama and sacrificial app, semi-bypass and full bypass...all this stuff

In the end by far and away the slickest method was fired tv launcher. following the wiki mean that AFTV would boot into xbmc, i could set aftv launcher in xbmc to go back to native aftv menu and pressing the home button on the remote sends me back to xbmc. You can also install the android sleep add-on. For this AFTV+XBMC goodness you need Root.

If you head over to xda aftv forum section you'll find some ideas on trying to block the firmware update that stops root. you'll also find how to install rbox pre-rooted latest firmware. It may work out for you.

Personally I disabled firmware updates after I rooted. Downside is I'm now on firmware version that doesn't have uk content. bit of a bummer but my main reason I bought the box was for xbmc which runs butter smooth so I'm very happy with the box.
I think that 'no more firmware upgrades' is a showstopper for most users.. I thought the xbmc would be offered in the amazon store.
(2014-10-10, 09:43)Willem55 Wrote: I think that 'no more firmware upgrades' is a showstopper for most users.. I thought the xbmc would be offered in the amazon store.

there's a thread on this in the Android section regarding attempts to get SPMC on Amazon

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=201783
(2014-10-10, 09:38)logan_x50 Wrote: In the end by far and away the slickest method was fired tv launcher. following the wiki mean that AFTV would boot into xbmc, i could set aftv launcher in xbmc to go back to native aftv menu and pressing the home button on the remote sends me back to xbmc. You can also install the android sleep add-on. For this AFTV+XBMC goodness you need Root.

If you head over to xda aftv forum section you'll find some ideas on trying to block the firmware update that stops root. you'll also find how to install rbox pre-rooted latest firmware. It may work out for you.

Personally I disabled firmware updates after I rooted. Downside is I'm now on firmware version that doesn't have uk content. bit of a bummer but my main reason I bought the box was for xbmc which runs butter smooth so I'm very happy with the box.

That's all well and good for those of us who bought and rooted our boxes before root was blocked, but for new users who, if they get a Fire TV with newer FW, they will have to use Llama.

You also don't have to go through xda-developers to find all that info, just head over to http://www.aftvnews.com/ and follow the guides there.

And if your rooted, you can still update to the latest "pre-rooted' FW (which has the UK updates) provided by rbox following the guides at AFTVNews.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Amazon UK is dispatching the FireTvs (pre-orders) from today. Could someone confirm the firmware version if they have received the box.

I am thinking of ordering a new box if the UK firmware version is rootable. Thanks.
Oooh, i didn't realise FiredTV could be used on an UNrooted FTV.

I pre-ordered on so hopefully beginning of next week i'll have one.
Mine was delivered just after 7am this morning. Not had a chance to open the package yet though!
on xda:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/...v-t2915352

User in the UK received theirs, but couldn't complete the setup without updating.

The version he has is:

51.1.4.0_user_514006420.
Dont want to spend my money on this. My mk808 stick will do for now.
Will wait until there is a soln to root the newer versions.
(2014-10-23, 13:47)morth123 Wrote: Dont want to spend my money on this. My mk808 stick will do for now.
Will wait until there is a soln to root the newer versions.

Not sure what root offers that i would really take advantage of.

I suppose firedTV might not be as slick as going 'straight' to XBMC and the lack of USB support might get irritating for games.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Android] FireTV UK Units0