• 7(current)
fire tv stick
Got my two sticks an hour ago; had a bit of a problem getting the back of the remote off... it's really tight.. LOL!

Then I couldn't connect with the IP number, but pulled the plug on the thing and rebooted it and it worked fine after that ...

I've installed xbmc 13.2; and now going to install the add-ons. Seems to be going along okay. Same as the firetv box, looks like.

I've blocked the updates; it seems to have version 5.4.1.0.0 for software installed in October. Wonder if this can be rooted.

Not bad. I'm impressed. $19 was a good deal. Christmas presents (I'll keep the FireTV box... seems to be a bit more perky)....

It's awesome that it just works the same way the other Amazon device does.
I haven't got my stick yet, and have never tried xbmc yet but do you have to block updates or is that just for rooting?
Fire TV Stick is great for what you get for the price, but I am noticing it's a little sluggish compared to FTV box (when installing apps/games, when navigating menus). With XBMC, at both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, I'm getting stutter with full Blu-ray rips... I tried 'Avatar' 2D and 3D (both ripped to MKV), Men in Black 2 (3D ISO), and a couple of other 2D H.264 rips.

One good thing is, even without rooting, you can use Llama to have Classic TV app launch SPMC (or XBMC), and even replace the Classic TV thumbnails with XBMC thumbs via...

Quote:adb push preview_84a70e233a1a6d1ac0d93d2e9f1f2de0e7c2d64d289f1e6f17434fe4c3752717.png /sdcard/.imagecache/com.amazon.venezia/com.adrise.profilms/B00IPRAZB4/

adb push thumbnail_43127692f3ed9671e079492a40a450bbd51543bd84d74bba24baf55fe7e06afa.png /sdcard/.imagecache/com.amazon.venezia/com.adrise.profilms/B00IPRAZB4/
This is without root and on the latest firmware/software.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2014-11-21, 01:03)peteubb Wrote: do you have to block updates or is that just for rooting?

That is for rooting only. You can sideload Kodi without rooting the device.
Also looking for one of these sticks for Xmas.
Amazon have blocked shipping of the FireTV Sticks for us Aussies here down under.

Is anybody able to help a bloke out please with purchase and shipping ?

I have 2 coming next week I can get you one no problem.
I have yet to receive the fire TV stick, but in the meantime I've been reading the wiki about the regular fire TV. And I am trying to wrap my mind around the use of the llama app. Could some one lay it out in simple terms of what the problem is and why llama is used with kodi on the fire TV device?

Thanks for being patient with me.
(2014-11-21, 05:56)ilovemymac Wrote: I have 2 coming next week I can get you one no problem.
Thanks ILM, much appreciated. Smile

(2014-11-21, 06:04)blueturtles Wrote: I have yet to receive the fire TV stick, but in the meantime I've been reading the wiki about the regular fire TV. And I am trying to wrap my mind around the use of the llama app. Could some one lay it out in simple terms of what the problem is and why llama is used with kodi on the fire TV device?

Thanks for being patient with me.

XBMC is not an offical app so it never shows up in Recent. It will always be in settings-apps-all applications and then scroll through all apps to the end so it's about 40 clicks on the remote each time.

So using llama it makes classic TV which is an offical app we use llama to watch for launching of classic TV and when you click on classic TV it launche xbmc
Ahhh, I see. Much better understanding of how it all works now. Thank you for explaining it to me. Looking forward to playing around with the device.
I didn't pre-order one, but went to my local BestBuy and they had a shelf full of them. I live in San Diego CA, pick up 3 of them all working great.
(2014-11-21, 09:14)heng5150 Wrote: I didn't pre-order one, but went to my local BestBuy and they had a shelf full of them. I live in San Diego CA, pick up 3 of them all working great.

Just to be clear, you know they're talking about the Fire TV Stick, and not the regular Fire TV, right?

edit: Well what do you know. According to their website, my local Best Buy has them as well. Crazy.
Haha... WTF, Best Buy selling Amazon wares before Amazon Smile
Guys I picked up the Amazon Fire Tv Stick today from BestBuy and Installed gotham 3.2. Read my Thread

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=209432
The store closest to me didn't have any, but all of the others do. This is in Tucson, AZ. I'm still debating getting one early and then gifting one of the pre-order units later. $40 is still a great deal. Quick, someone talk me out of it.

I'm really interested in seeing if any of the Fire TV Box issues are here with the Stick, like the mpeg2 crashing. That's really the only big issue that I've come across so far. The Stick also has some shared GPU/video hardware with the Pi, but I don't know if that actually means anything as far as Kodi is concerned, but hopefully it means something good.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
fire tv stick1